The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Custom non-leather Field boots -is there such a thing?

I am a vegetarian and try to avoid buying new leather. Riding horses is not an easy sport to do this with - so I do buy used leather products.
    So, here is my dilemma - I have a very difficult leg to fit. The extra tall/slim Ariat Monacos fit me, but I can never find used ones in my size. I currently have the regular height in the monacos and they're too short and I also have the tall size Sergio Grasso boots but they are also too short (I think I need a boot that's at least 20in. in height). I am in love with the Parlanti boots, but I just can't bring myself to buy new leather.
    So - any suggestions???

Thanks!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Alessando Albanese's new boots actually aren't leather—they're a really interesting micro-fiber that's durable and easy to clean. You can just wipe them down if they get wet, for example. Here's a photo of them: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-u56gdWa6td...0/IMG_4632.jpg

I saw them in person at the Hampton Classic this year and thought they were exceptionally nice. They cost about the same as the Parlantis or Monacos, too.

Those are pretty sharp looking, but can you get the shine that polished leather boots have? Can't tell from the picture if they have that gleam in real life.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Alessando Albanese's new boots actually aren't leather—they're a really interesting micro-fiber that's durable and easy to clean. You can just wipe them down if they get wet, for example. Here's a photo of them: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-u56gdWa6td...0/IMG_4632.jpg

I saw them in person at the Hampton Classic this year and thought they were exceptionally nice. They cost about the same as the Parlantis or Monacos, too.
    Wow, cool. THose look pretty fantastic!

OP, good for you for following your heart and mind like that. If will pm me your size, maybe I can send you a pair (I am 5'7" and have a pair of slim size 8 field boots).
    Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

Add me to the list of those interested in those Alessandro boots! Do they breathe even remotely close to leather, though? I get enough of the sweat stink with my son's hockey equipment...

I find it incredible how many of us need 19-21" tall, super slim boots and we can't seem to find them. It's like trying to find clothing while living in Hawaii again (waste and bust sizing were fine, but everything was SHORT!! If I found anything long enough, it was made for someone a LOT larger around than me...)
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post
    Add me to the list of those interested in those Alessandro boots! Do they breathe even remotely close to leather, though? I get enough of the sweat stink with my son's hockey equipment...
    I haven't worn them, but the rep had a little handout thing that explained the material. I don't think they would get sweaty or stinky.

They're not going to get a high-gloss shine, but a lot of boots don't these days, especially with the softer leather being used. That doesn't really bother me at all.

One of my friends got a lizard stamped leather addition to the top of her off the rack boots because they were too short. They are beautiful!! I wonder if you could recycle some leather and have the custom change done with that to your favorite too short boots. :-)
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

Those are great! I'm hoping someone makes a really nice saddle from synthetic leather some day. Or I read an article awhile back that they are now able to produce real leather in the lab by growing it. This would be so awesome. If I could have all the beautiful leather without anything having to die!

Thanks so much ToTheNines for the offer! Unfortunately, in addition to my odd size legs, I also have large feet (size 9/9.5).

Thanks everyone for the replies! I am going to investigate the Alessandro Albanese boots right now!!

Tha Ridge - do you know where I can buy those boots? Thanks!

at work and the barn...middle of nowhere PA

at work and the barn...middle of nowhere PA

Him, but I don't see the boots on there....

Quote Originally Posted by RolyPolyPony View Post
    Wow, cool. THose look pretty fantastic!
    Those are neat. Do they breathe?! I am kind of flabbergasted that they cost the same as really high end leather boots, but they are interesting looking.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by susy999 View Post
    Tha Ridge - do you know where I can buy those boots? Thanks!
    From AA directly is probably the only place at the moment. They are not in the online store, so you'll have to call.

Quote Originally Posted by GrantanaKC View Post
    Hmm, yeah, I can't find them either.

You can see the boots on AAs Facebook page.
    friend of bar*ka

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    I haven't worn them, but the rep had a little handout thing that explained the material. I don't think they would get sweaty or stinky.

They're not going to get a high-gloss shine, but a lot of boots don't these days, especially with the softer leather being used. That doesn't really bother me at all.
    Perfect! Thank you!
    After years of putting a mirror shine on my combat boots, I'm just fine having clean and black riding boots that I don't NEED to shine. I do wish they were less expensive, but I'm also very interested and can't wait to hear more. Perhaps a call into AA is just what is needed right now!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Cool

a vegetarian buying used leather products--under the premise it is all right to wear an animal's skin as long as someone else has used it first? sounds like faulty logic to me. (is this wierd or what)
    Discipline is the Bridge between Dreams and Accomplishments

3 members found this post helpful.