The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke View Post
    But she only farts on the correct diagonal, so as not to unbalance the horse.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

But she only farts on the correct diagonal, so as not to unbalance the horse.

Seriously, do you think that awesome leg comes from her eventing background? I mean, aside from the fact her father was an amazing rider....

I see a lot of "floppy leg" even at the higher levels, and (last I heard) this was NOT a desirable trait. But more and more it seems to be acceptable.

But a "floppy leg" while riding cross country would be pretty much suicide...at least I would think so. I've never done it, nor am I likely to.

A "Master" (under my own little private rules of this thread) who definitely have to have a quiet leg!

I just think she's pretty amazing. And I just admire her silhouette on a horse.

I can't be bothered to sweat anyone else's requirements for this silly thread.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SisterToSoreFoot View Post
    What a bunch of nonesense. All y'all have a bunch of weird criteria for your so-called "Masters." Why not go with a simple, logical list? Like mine?

I look for:
    A person who has an arena with flickering candles/fancy wall inset things and windows.
    A rider with a elegant facial hair, like the swoop of a serpentine.
    A rider who rides adorable horsies, many of them spotted.
    Oh, and they should look at home riding through mist and/or fire.

Anyone else isn't a "master" in my book.
    Uh Oh. I know of NO lady rider who sports elegant facial hair. We're out of luck, girls. We'll NEVER be masters!

Quote Originally Posted by belgianWBLuver View Post
    You know, I haven’t seen a clinic given by him yet – true he is a really good rider - but maybe he isn’t a good teacher in our American sense. I remember people sitting in the tribunes at Oliveira’s saying they could never ride with him because he didn’t actively “teach”. I beg to differ, he taught if a student needed direction or was in trouble with something. He also taught if the student was doing a really high level exercise like Passage, piaffe, airs above, etc…
    Jose d’Atayde “taught” the same way. So does Michel Henriquet.
    Granted a clinic is not the at home environment and one must really concentrate and adapt the teaching style to a private one on one lesson. Maybe Borba has a hard time with that. I’ll have to see a clinic to know for sure.

In French we pronounce the “J” also so its not so difficult to remember the Portuguese pronunciation because it’s the same. But here in the states we are so inundated with the Spanish language that we forget. He’ll just have to get over it…

Its a really nice trip to go over to Portugal and ride at some of the schools. Borba, Luis Valencia, Morgado Lusitano, George Malleroni's school at Alcainca, etc.. (these are some of the really good and proven schools but there are many many others). Its neet to go the the Golega fair in November of each year and see some of the best horseflesh around along with some very famous riders for all over the world. (one year Isabel Werth was there riding a gorgeous lusitano horse, another year I saw Sylvia Loch - what a treat !!)
    Francois Lemaire de Ruffieu is the real deal; and I must say, so is David Collins!

Francois Lemaire de Ruffieu & Charles DeKunffy get my votes
    Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
    Alfred A. Montapert

Agree on all counts! Kyrkland's book "Dressage with Kyra" is most informative. I saw her freestyle (on tape) some years ago when she was riding that stunning black Russian Trakhner...rats!! Can't think of his name...Edinburgh?

She did one-handed canter pirouettes that looked like she & the horse were floating...at least that's the way I remember it! And it's true I don't see her in the competition ring any more.

Does anyone know why she retired?

As for Lendon Grey -- I think she has done more for developing young riders in this country than any other single person. She is awesome.

Has she every written a book?
    While Kyra has not officially announced her retirement from competition, I haven't seen her name at any of the big shows for at least 5 years. I think she is in her early 60s now--but she certainly could compete again if the right horse came along.

Lendon Grey wrote a little book called "Lessons with Lendon" that was published about 10 years ago.

While Kyra has not officially announced her retirement from competition, I haven't seen her name at any of the big shows for at least 5 years. I think she is in her early 60s now--but she certainly could compete again if the right horse came along.
    OH dear then sadly she cannot be a 'modern master' even though she trained a Master, because until she officially retires she just can't possibly be putting the horse first according to some on this thread. rolly eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFigs View Post
    Uh Oh. I know of NO lady rider who sports elegant facial hair.
    Well, since menopause I seem to be working on that aspect...more and more each day...

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    Lendon Grey wrote a little book called "Lessons with Lendon" that was published about 10 years ago.
    That's right!! I remember it being serialized in "Practical Horseman" magazine. Have you read it?

No, Kyzteke, I have not.

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

Where is Ula? I would give her a vote. In her absence, imo, it is Klaus.

What about Robert Dover? I know he isn't competing anymore...has anyone ever ridden with him or audited a clinic?

I watched (on tape) him give a lesson to Steffen Peters, but I wonder how he is as a teacher.

Too bad there aren't more Americans named...

What about Robert Dover? I know he isn't competing anymore...has anyone ever ridden with him or audited a clinic?

I watched (on tape) him give a lesson to Steffen Peters, but I wonder how he is as a teacher.

Too bad there aren't more Americans named...
    Rumor has it that Robert is being considered for USA coach to fill the vacancy left by Ann Gribbons. He was an applicant previously, but they selected Ann over him. I have never seen him give a clinic, but I did see him coach a rider at a show. I was impressed. Here's the link to the coach information:
    http://www.dressage-news.com/?p=20327

without it sounding off putting, i think that there are more undercover excellent trainers out there than people think.

and that many of them haven't competed recently, or only competed challenging horses recently or just haven't competed in the US - that is one factor about using competition only as a judge of ability.... you miss these folks.

as examples: i know of a couple folks who have spent a large amount of time working with some of the best in the world - but they aren't into showing - they also dont work at fancy barns and generally only work with folks who learn about them thru the graveine..... (ie the generally don't advertise) altho when they have students that show they do well.

so i guess - it might be hard to find the person who has the training and education, who can do the job and who has the type of ego that allows them to complete and market etc. many times someone has many biut not all of those factors.....

my point is that really what matters is how the trainer trains and how the horses go.... and you dont need big names etc....

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    without it sounding off putting, i think that there are more undercover excellent trainers out there than people think.

and that many of them haven't competed recently, or only competed challenging horses recently or just haven't competed in the US - that is one factor about using competition only as a judge of ability.... you miss these folks.
    my point is that really what matters is how the trainer trains and how the horses go.... and you dont need big names etc....
    I agree – I have seen many top riders seek out and lesson with a trainer who may be relatively unknown to the competion world but possesses a long history of schooling and an expertise in a certain methode. This to be able to “hone” that expertise and perfect themselves and their mounts.
    Happens a lot when approaching the collected movements of passage, piaffe and perfecting the transistions between the two. Also when schooling pirouettes. Personally, as a groom, I used to steal away to watch these lessons at every opportunity, and I learned so much from watching them.

I totally agree! The funny thing is, if you start to laud one of these "unknowns" as a real "Master", there are tons of people who will dismiss them because of their lack of show record.

As if that is the only proof of a good rider...

Thanks for this post...been wondering where he was...

Quote Originally Posted by ToN Farm View Post
    Rumor has it that Robert is being considered for USA coach to fill the vacancy left by Ann Gribbons. He was an applicant previously, but they selected Ann over him. I have never seen him give a clinic, but I did see him coach a rider at a show. I was impressed. Here's the link to the coach information:
    http://www.dressage-news.com/?p=20327
    Thanks for posting this; been wondering what he was up to...