The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Current " Modern Master"

The post announcing WAZ's retirement not only just broke my heart, but it also got me to thinking about the Modern Masters.

Who is left to take up the reins (pun intened) and teach the classical riders of tomorrow?

To "qualify" for this thread, the "Master" must:

* Have had a successful competitive career or been a riding professional at a recognized institution of dressage (SPS, Saumer, etc). In other words, he/she must be a Legend somewhere other than their own mind.

* No longer competes; devote his/her time to teaching, writing, clinics.

* Classically trained; advocates same.

* Comes to NA at least occasionally. Extra points if he/she are actually FROM North America!

* You feel that this person can actually influence the next "face" of dressage in a positive way.

Extra points if you have actually clinic'ed with this Master OR if you have a "Hidden Master" -- someone who qualifies, but is not yet well-known.

I can't wait for Steffen Peters to retire, because I think he is a great rider/teacher, but alas he does not qualify yet.

So -- one of my votes (but not for long I suspect):

1. Charles de Kunffy

Hess.
    Kelly
    It is rare to see a rider who is truly passionate about the horse and his training, taking a profound interest in dressage with self-abnegation, and making this extraordinarily subtle work one of the dominant motivations of his life.\"

1 members found this post helpful.

Klaus Balkenhol?
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

Conrad Schumacher
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Karl Mikolka
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

3 members found this post helpful.

Just wanted to second Charles deKunffy. I audited a clinic with him and he is just amazing. Funny too. Very funny. I learned tons just watching. EVERY rider in that clinic made huge strides forward.

Sheila

Edited to add--after that clinic, I bought every book he's written and rented his video from Giddyupflix.
    Last edited by Chestnut Run; Mar. 11, 2013 at 09:09 AM. Reason: additional info
    Chestnut Run Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

Ernst Hoyos

Henk Van Bergen

Dr. Uwe Schulten-Baume

George Theodorescu
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Didn't George pass away a few years ago?
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Quote Originally Posted by exvet View Post
    Didn't George pass away a few years ago?
    Oops, yes. 2007

I was just recollecting the trainers who David Collins wrote about in his book "Dressage Masters." But that book came out in 2006, when GT was still alive.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Carel Eijkenaar. He worked at Georg Theodorescu's stable for years when he was younger. He had also run his own highly successful trainining center for quite some time. He is currently residing in the US. If anyone wants to see what he is about he is the speaker at a symposium in just under 2 weeks in upstate NY (Utica area). No...not advertising as it's not even my event!
    Horses don't lie.

I second Henk Van Bergen. I've ridden with him many times and he's in the US at least 2 or 3 times per year.

George Williams. Yes, I believe he's still competing, but he's a fantastic clinician. Just putting his name out there.

And why would being a competition rider disqualify someone from being a "modern master" anyway?

Other people who's clinics have impressed me (and haven't been mentioned yet):

Stephen Clarke
    Ashley Holzer
    Ingrid klimke

"Modern Masters" of the future, if you will...

4 members found this post helpful.

i am lucky in that i ride with someone who spent years with GT. so it is possible to get a classical education - even on the low down

def Ingrid

and also H. Schmidt

Quote Originally Posted by AllWeatherGal View Post
    Conrad Schumacher
    i am just curious: what is his history?

A second for Conrad Schumacher. Fabulous teacher! Amazing with both the horses and the riders.

Here is some history on Mr. Schumacher from Horse Daily:

http://www.horsesdaily.com/news/dres...schumaker.html
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Karl Mikolka has a new website! IMO he is THE master in this country.

http://mikolkadressage.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke View Post
    To "qualify" for this thread, the "Master" must:
    * Have had a successful competitive career or been a riding professional at a recognized institution of dressage (SPS, Saumer, etc). In other words, he/she must be a Legend somewhere other than their own mind.
    * No longer competes; devote his/her time to teaching, writing, clinics.
    * Classically trained; advocates same.
    * Comes to NA at least occasionally. Extra points if he/she are actually FROM North America!
    * You feel that this person can actually influence the next "face" of dressage in a positive way...
    Thanks for this thread - I will learn some things that I didn't know and thats always welcome !!
    Heres my list from the "French" classical perspective:
    Philippe Karl (as of 2013 he will be sponsoring the Legerite series in the US. Although he is not coming here during the series and will not be administering the exams at the conclusion of this series , he is at least organizing and sponsoring it.

Jean Froissard is deceased so not qualifying but he was truly a “modern Master” as one of the first French ENE trained who bothered to come here and work with many of our greats like George Morris.

Bettina Drummond – one of the “real & undisputed” long time students of Oliviera. She resides here and teaches as well as gives regular demonstrations on classical equitation in the true Baucher style of Oliveira.

Bartabas. The Master of the Acad√©mie du spectacle √©questre of Versailles. The school opened in 2003 and while it supports itself with regular performances to the public, it provides an apprenticeship program of 4 years to qualified students from all over the world. The apprenticeship endeavors to follow the true old-time tradition of the methods of classical French equitation combined with fencing, dance and Kyudo. Bartabas, of profound classical knowledge, decided to go the performance route first in France then internationally with his Opera de Cheval “Zingaro”. He has traveled to the US with the Opera Zingaro on many occasions and occasionally works with performing artists from the Cavalia troop among others in addition to friends and contacts he has here in the states. Although considered by many of us as a performer, he is, in fact, a true classissist having studied the methodes of de la Gueriniere and Baucher under Oliveira, P.Karl, D. Jose D’Atayde, the list is very long…
    Last edited by belgianWBLuver; Mar. 11, 2013 at 01:16 PM. Reason: repeated phrase

Quote Originally Posted by fairtheewell View Post
    Karl Mikolka has a new website! IMO he is THE master in this country.

http://mikolkadressage.com/
    I second that - he is a terrific Master and horseman and I would beg, borrow, and steal to have a lesson with him!!

George Williams. Yes, I believe he's still competing, but he's a fantastic clinician. Just putting his name out there.

And why would being a competition rider disqualify someone from being a "modern master" anyway?

Other people who's clinics have impressed me (and haven't been mentioned yet):

Stephen Clarke
    Ashley Holzer
    Ingrid klimke

"Modern Masters" of the future, if you will...

agree with threeFigs and would add

Carl Hester
    Last edited by Crockpot; Mar. 13, 2013 at 07:07 AM. Reason: added quote from 3 figs