The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Allowing a trial for a saddle?

My gorgeous custom-made saddle won't fit my new horse (of course!), and it must go so that I can buy a new one that fits. I advertised the saddle online with measurements and photos, and I have an interested buyer, but the buyer wants a trial period to ensure it will fit.

I COMPLETELY understand why someone would want to be able to send it back if it didn't work, but I also want to protect myself. Has anyone allowed a trial, and if so, how did you do it?

My hesitation is twofold: I don't want to get screwed, but I also would love to avoid giving hundreds of dollars away on consignment.

Thanks in advance for any advice or admonitions you're willing to share!

I have sold a lot of saddles online with a trial period. They buy and pay for the saddle and shipping preferably with Pay Pal. You ship the saddles (insured and tracked) and allow about 5 days after they get it to try it. If it does not work, they ship it back at their expense and you issue a PP refund after you confirm it is in the same condition. I have offered this with anything from a $400 cheap saddle to a $3,000 Custom. The buyers are often familiar with the model or sizing...I think I have only had one returned. Since the shipping can almost $100 round trip they are usually pretty serious buyers. When you issue the PP refund your PP fees are credited for the refund amount. I would NEVER ship it without being paid in full- no checks!

Be sure and take pictures as you are packing it to show any scratches or lack of scratches. I let someone take a saddle on trial once. We met in a public place to make the exchange so no shipping. When she brought the saddle back, it had scratches on it that the other person said were on it when she picked it up and I didn't have pictures showing that area well enough to disprove it.

I don't do trials any more.

Thanks to both of you! I'm glad to get some advice on how to do a trial, as well as some caution about taking photos. I am going to do that...it cannot hurt.

I really hope this saddle works for her. I'd give a limb to keep it, but it's just not going to work with the new pony.

Most people are pretty trustworthy. I am concerned though, with a new saddle that you have had custom made ... surely the manufacturer will take it back ? Surely it came with some kind of satisfaction guarantee ?

Quote Originally Posted by KateWooten View Post
    Most people are pretty trustworthy. I am concerned though, with a new saddle that you have had custom made ... surely the manufacturer will take it back ? Surely it came with some kind of satisfaction guarantee ?
    Oh, it's not a new saddle...I bought it 3 years ago for a different horse!

A quick update in case anyone is wondering: the trial went off without a hitch, and she ended up buying the saddle. Yay!! PayPal was totally the way to go; it helps, too, to have really good photos and measurements.

All this said, I think I was very lucky to not only find someone with a similarly shaped horse, but that she was nice and easy to deal with!

4 members found this post helpful.

Glad you had a good experience with the trial and sell! I would be apprehensive to buy a saddle without a trial.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio