The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best company for predator wasps?

Our barn is attached to our house, so we have too many flies. This year we are going to try predator wasps.

which company do you like? Aribico or the other one? I once tried to do a cost comparison of them, but they have different units of measurements.

comments in the predator wasps? Do they work? Best places to put them?

Thanks
    JJ

I have had the best luck with Spalding. I don't know why, but March didn't work as well. I am not sure if they recommended fewer (I cannot remember), but the Spalding have worked really well for the last two years. I spread near manure and on fence lines. I have one horse at home on a small lot.
    Last edited by IFG; Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Corrected company name.

Spalding. Their customer service is really good.

I have had very good luck with the fly predators. We scatter them around the manure pile, by the water trough and in the places in the paddock/pasture that the horses like the manure.

BTW, corrected the name of the predators that did not work as well for me. For all I know, it was not as effective because it was the first year. I hate to be unfair to a company, but I give Spalding lots of props for ease of set-up and use. BTW, I DO NOT recommend the large fly trap they sell. We caught an adult titmouse on it which was pretty awful for us and the bird. I will say that "Grumpy" recovered at the bird sanctuary, but I doubt he would have ended up so Grumpy if he hadn't been caught on the trap.

I have purchased from both and just picked up my Aribico catalog to place my order.

Quote Originally Posted by jbonifas View Post
    I have purchased from both and just picked up my Aribico catalog to place my order.
    I have bought from both, this year going with Arbico, because last year we didn't have as good luck as we had before with Spalding.
    Probably just a bad year, with the record breaking drought.
    Heard Arbico is where all those companies buy theirs anyway, don't know if that is true or not.

Both seem to cost about the same, are managed the same, you get a little plastic envelope, wait to see the tiny things crawling around and you can then spread it on spots with manure that is moist, or wet spots.

Those predators generally only fly about 150', so if you have larger areas, put some here, some there.
    I put some around the yard, some in the horse pens.

Spalding. I have had horrible customer service from Arbico.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm not an outlier; I just haven't found my distribution yet!

I've used Arbico for about 6 years now. I have nothing but GREAT things to say about them....no problems, good customer service, and a good product that works!

Kunafin is our vendor of choice.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Quote Originally Posted by vtdobes View Post
    I've used Arbico for about 6 years now. I have nothing but GREAT things to say about them....no problems, good customer service, and a good product that works!
    They were good for the 7 years I used them until they double charged me. I then had to hop through so many hoops to get a refund I swore I would never use them again. I was referred to the accounting department who has trouble counting.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm not an outlier; I just haven't found my distribution yet!