The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My baby horse brag. Because I can't control myself!

Completely surrounded by non horse people so I have to share my incredible excitement with people who understand! My just turned 5 ottb jumped her first line of cross rails yesterday and didn't bat an eye! I am so happy with her I could just burst. She could have cared less about the flowers and striped poles. Ok I got it out...I'm content now.

12 members found this post helpful.

I can just picture non horse people. "Oh, you jumped! How high? Wait... you're excited about 18"? Don't those jumpers on tv jump 5'?"

Whereas the rest of us read your post and are trying not to cheer out loud or coworkers may give us the side eye....

Congrats!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

7 members found this post helpful.

Yay! What a great feeling. My little OTTB is starting to jump lines and I get so tickled about it!

1 members found this post helpful.

Yay......it's terribly exciting itsn't it!!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

ooh i know that feeling! I just jumped a course with my 'baby' horse (he's ...um.. 9) last week and I felt the same way you do!
    Congrats!!

2 members found this post helpful.

Sunday was the first day she saw jumps set up in a ring. With dirt bikes running around she was on sensory overload so we just walked and trotted around all of them. Tuesday we put the rails down and took the center flowers out. She went over and looked around like 'I don't understand the big deal'. That day we put the rails back up and just did one x rail. The first time she actually jumped she looked so proud of herself and by the third time she was cantering away like a pro. Yesterday I left all the flowers and all the rails and she never took a second look at anything so I decided to give her a squeeze and send her to fence two and just like that it was done. The icing on the cake...when I half halted to go back down to the trot...she did a lead change. I about died!

Before this please note that she had been cantering a plane x. I didn't just throw this at her.

3 members found this post helpful.

Congratulations!!! Best feeling in the world

(and ahem....pictures?)

Congrats!!!! She sounds like such a good egg! I'm so happy for you!!

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    I can just picture non horse people. "Oh, you jumped! How high? Wait... you're excited about 18"? Don't those jumpers on tv jump 5'?"

Whereas the rest of us read your post and are trying not to cheer out loud or coworkers may give us the side eye....

Congrats!
    LMAO! Love this!
    I say these things to my husband all the time.... I swear he just acts interested to keep me happy.
    I especially love when I took my 4y/o mare to her first show, entered in a few low hunter classes and got the, "Hunny I really don't understand this scoring system, Pal, (my mare), jumped WAYY higher than the other horses... doesn't that show talent??!!"

Congrats, that is wicked! Claps for you. You must be estatic.
    We know the feeling!

4 members found this post helpful.

Congrats! I know exactly how you feel I have brought my OTTB up from know nothing to the 3'3 jumpers over the past 2 years. When we competed for the first time at this height in February I couldn't contain myself especially placing in the top 5 out of 30 at HITS! Every small crossrail to a lead change to some days just trotting after the fence can be the best day ever. Very Happy for you!

I have a tall horse who just learned to jump last year. I made my co-workers sit through the videos of our rounds at our first show, and they thought I was crazy!!! Fortunately, they are great people so they at least pretended to be enthusiastic.

Congrats and keep posting your accomplishments!
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

Congratulations!!! Best feeling in the world

(and ahem....pictures?)

Congrats!

I know how you feel. My husband can't fathom how I can be excited with just cantering to the right like a grown up. My ottb has been a bit, um, willful so far so we've been crawling and constantly taking steps back.

People just don't understand.

He's a trainer on the track, though, so he also can't understand why I'd be trying to get my guy to go slow.

Yah for you ! My 6 YO OTTB is now doing solids, courses, and jumped 2'9" (only with his trainer). And then I have those days on him when I cannot get him to canter in a circle.....two steps forward 3 steps back...

You MUST celebrate the successes. Enjoy !

Two steps forward 3 back has unfortunately become my motto. I'm working on not getting frustrated. As a side effect it has greatly helped me develop more patience with people.

People who understand me! I could hug each and every one of you!

My husband gets excited just because I'm excited and happy, which is new in itself and I'm grateful for but it's not the same as when people speak the same equine language!

Then you are lucky and have a good husband! I'm a little jealous. Mine hates my horse and is constantly trying to give him away because he "doesn't make any money."

He has started to get over it since learning that, if I had to pick, the horse would be staying

Quote Originally Posted by Aspercel View Post
    Then you are lucky and have a good husband! I'm a little jealous. Mine hates my horse and is constantly trying to give him away because he "doesn't make any money."

He has started to get over it since learning that, if I had to pick, the horse would be staying
    Oh it's taken 7 years and me packing up and walking out the door once to get him to this point and he still has relapses. Right now the horse is easier to train then the hubby.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...C0C0016A48.jpg

There she is just looking cute tonight.

Congrats!! I know how you feel

My OTTB is off the track since October and just officially turned 4 the other day. He jumped his first little cross rail the other day and I was thrilled!

Keep us updated!!