The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

I think you should be working on your flatwork, keeping consistent contact, and keeping that horse straight, before jumping.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by finneas View Post
    I think you should be working on your flatwork, keeping consistent contact, and keeping that horse straight, before jumping.
    That's what we are working on.

We won't be jumping any more soon. She just wanted to see where my position was. It's back to just flat work after this.

Thanks!
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
    http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/

I agree with finneas. I wouldn't have had you jumping anything yet. I also don't love you and that horse paired together.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I agree with the above. To elaborate - you're hands are posting along with you a little (I've seen worse - but it's still enough your horse is concerned).

What I see that you're going to want to fix is this: a little more bend in your elbow so your hands can follow the horse's mouth better. The extra bend will allow you a little more range of motion in order to do so. Also bending your elbows a little more will take up some of the slack in your reins. While you're at it - thumbs up! He'll be a lot less fussy when you get your contact firmed up and consistent.

Your heels are good, and just riding your leg muscles will become more and more effective - I can tell they're out of shape. If you get a chance, do a bunch of practice in your two-point to help firm them up. I do this as intervals with two-point in trot up the long sides, post in the corners and short side, and then 2 point again for several laps.

In the corners, focus on having him flexion in the right direction. He's currently pointing his nose to the outside around your corners, it should be more to the inside (but not a ton). This will come as you work on your straightness.

1 members found this post helpful.