The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default opinions: 2002 Sundowner Stampede, used, price?

There is a 2002 Sundowner Stampede for sale locally. It's a 3h slant, no drop-down windows, with double rear doors and a half ramp. Front escape door, dressing room. All aluminum, looks in good shape on the exterior aside from one fender that's slightly deformed (looks like the tire blew out at one point).

Now here's the issue with it. The dressing room is of course carpeted and it smells like mildew. Thankfully when we stopped to look at it today, it has been pouring so we know why it smells. The roof has a leak along the passenger side. BF says it can be fixed pretty easily and since the whole trailer is aluminum, there shouldn't be any water damage aside from the carpet. Carpet may have to be replaced due to the strong smell. I'm betting it's been leaking for a while.

Do these trailers have any of the big-time problems some people have had with Sundowners? I'm thinking those were steel frame trailers. BF was a very good welder as a career until very recently, and he looked underneath and said the frame on this one is definitely aluminum.

It will need at least 1 new tire, but the others are in good shape even if not a single one matches.

Also, what would you consider a fair price given the leaking roof? I had heard they were asking $10k for this trailer, which seems very high, but we are waiting on a call back from the actual owner. The receipt from the original purchase says they paid $14k for it new, so $10k now seems just absurd to me.

The notorious problems were due to poor coating/protection on the STEEL FRAME touching ALUMINUM. So the bad rep was from steel frame/aluminum skin.

Yours is all aluminum so won't have that type of corrosion on the old ValuLite and SunLites.

That said, I consider Sundowner one of the mass-produced trailer manufacturers that aren't at the high-end of quality. In general.

Things just tend to happen one lesser-made trailers.

I'm a fan of the super high-quality, custom-made manufacturers like Twister, Elite, Bloomer, Hart, Turnbow, C &C, Eby, Platinum.

But that's just me.

Lastly - one can't advise on price unless you state the very specific details on INSIDE HEIGHT, WIDTH and dressing room/shortwall or if it's a GN or BP.

Im paying alot more for my future 8 foot high, 8 foot wide trailer.....compared to standard 7 ft high and 7 ft wide (many standard trailers are even only 6'8" wide)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

GN, 16' length, 7' tall, 7' wide, short wall in tack room is just big enough for a saddle rack, so 2' to 3'.

Aside form the leaky roof, this one is in very good condition for being 11 years old.

Seems pretty high compared to the trailers I've seen for sale.

Is it fully enclosed (just no drop-down, which seems weird)? Vents over horses? Is there a rear tack?
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

Well it's a no-go. Talked to the guy who INSISTS it's a 2009, despite the VIN tag on the tongue very clearly stating it was manufactured in Jan 2002 and seeing the original receipt in the tack room dated Sept 2002. Seems way sketchy. I'm not convinced the guy actually has a title for it, so we are walking away. It may have come from the seizure of assets after the big TB starvation case last year. He will have it for a while. No one in this area has that kind of money to pay for a leaky trailer when he's blatantly lying about the age by that much.

1 members found this post helpful.

Good for you, many warning flags with this trailer and how the guy was acting IMO. Hope that you find the perfect trailer soon.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Unless we find the right trailer for a good deal used, we will probably buy new in a year or so.