The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct. 1, 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    299

    Default TB with multiple "issues". (cross post from H/J)

    TB with multiple issues, what to do?
    In November, I bought an OTTB. I wasn't planning on purchasing a horse at all, but his current owner (at the time) called me and was going to send him to a trader or dealer and knowing the horse I couldn't handle what could have happened in that situation. Anyway, knowing he had some issues, and I knew it would take time and patience with him.

    We decided to start out slow and had some major setbacks at the barn where we were. We moved the beginning of February to a really nice training facility where he would get the best care possible. Since the move, his mud fever and cellulitis cleared up, his ulcers are getting under control (slowly but surely) and his weight is looking good. He started having some serious behavior issues so I have hired a ground manners trainer who has helped both me and him tremendously.

    We knew he had weak stifles so we have started from scratch to build his strength. We have been doing just walk/trot since we moved hoping to strengthen his stifles, but today he was horribly off. He was getting a massage first because we noticed stiffness yesterday and when the trainer/masseuse went to touch his left stifle he nearly took her head off. We decided to do a lesson to see if he stretched out of the soreness (just walk/trot, primarily walk). We had to cut the lesson short because he became very off once he started to relax his head and neck, lift his back and use himself. It almost looked as if his hip was out. That muscle began pulsing and twitching afterward and was very warm to touch. We are giving it two days before we call the vet. In the event that they can figure out what is going on, is it worth trying to fix? Or should I just consider retiring him and letting him live in a field? I wouldn't be able to afford another horse for at least a year but could still continue to take lessons with my trainer and ride friends horses. I have already put thousands into fixing the issues that we have worked on. I am completely at a loss.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar. 8, 2004
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    19,991

    Default

    It doesn't sound like you have an actual diagnosis yet, I would wait until then before attempting to make a decision. Jingles.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec. 19, 2009
    Posts
    464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anmoro View Post
    TB with multiple issues, what to do?
    In November, I bought an OTTB. I wasn't planning on purchasing a horse at all, but his current owner (at the time) called me and was going to send him to a trader or dealer and knowing the horse I couldn't handle what could have happened in that situation. Anyway, knowing he had some issues, and I knew it would take time and patience with him.

    We decided to start out slow and had some major setbacks at the barn where we were. We moved the beginning of February to a really nice training facility where he would get the best care possible. Since the move, his mud fever and cellulitis cleared up, his ulcers are getting under control (slowly but surely) and his weight is looking good. He started having some serious behavior issues so I have hired a ground manners trainer who has helped both me and him tremendously.

    We knew he had weak stifles so we have started from scratch to build his strength. We have been doing just walk/trot since we moved hoping to strengthen his stifles, but today he was horribly off. He was getting a massage first because we noticed stiffness yesterday and when the trainer/masseuse went to touch his left stifle he nearly took her head off. We decided to do a lesson to see if he stretched out of the soreness (just walk/trot, primarily walk). We had to cut the lesson short because he became very off once he started to relax his head and neck, lift his back and use himself. It almost looked as if his hip was out. That muscle began pulsing and twitching afterward and was very warm to touch. We are giving it two days before we call the vet. In the event that they can figure out what is going on, is it worth trying to fix? Or should I just consider retiring him and letting him live in a field? I wouldn't be able to afford another horse for at least a year but could still continue to take lessons with my trainer and ride friends horses. I have already put thousands into fixing the issues that we have worked on. I am completely at a loss.
    why wait two days to call the vet. You want the vet now, while there's actually something clear going on. Otherwise you're not going to get as much information for the vet to do a diagnostic.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct. 1, 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flashwhitelock View Post
    why wait two days to call the vet. You want the vet now, while there's actually something clear going on. Otherwise you're not going to get as much information for the vet to do a diagnostic.
    we didn't feel it was worthy of an emergency vet call. I always feel guilty doing that in the event that someone else has a horse with a life threatening injury and I have the vet tied up with something that isn't as bad as I thought. I'll re-evaluate tomorrow and decide. You definitely make a good point! I used to be an ER nurse and would get so frustrated with the people that came in for non emergencies so that mentality always stuck with me



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov. 18, 2010
    Location
    california
    Posts
    4,315

    Default

    Maybe an omega 3 and anti-inflamatory supplement and take it slow. A young horse should not have cellulitus and it sounds like he needs some TLC. Also I don't know if you have hills, we do and they are steep and every horse takes time to adjust. Good luck, when I first brought my guy in I was dealing with a very sick horse. It took some time for him to adjust and build his immunity.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov. 17, 2008
    Posts
    609

    Default

    I'd wait and see...these things can just take time...if it is back or hind end issues or muscles your vet might recommend some rest for him...along with some meds possibly-Robaxin, bute, etc....chiro and accupunture might be in order too....he could have a rib or his pelvis might be out...have you had a saddle fitter evaluate yet? In the meantime you can give him Arnica tablets and also Omega Alpha's Antiflamm is wonderful stuff!



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: Jan. 6, 2013, 02:10 PM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: Jun. 23, 2012, 05:18 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Apr. 6, 2012, 01:14 PM
  4. "Spider" Arena Harrow? (cross-post)
    By fatorangehorse in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Mar. 26, 2012, 11:07 AM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: Jul. 2, 2011, 07:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •