The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

^ I know a few people that really got into Endurance, and tried out the fancy treeless/Enduro saddles...and promptly went back to their old leather English saddles (or Western saddles, in one case)

I think I was lucky that my most favourite, comfiest saddle is also synthetic (a Wintec Isabelle) so it is nice and light AND easy to clean. With saddles though, they don't take SO much abuse, provided you're using a saddle pad and don't let it sit directly in the rain. The most important features in Endurance tack are fit and strength. Well, and not caring too much about damage from water, branches, rocks, mud...I have a cheap black hunt bridle for my mare (not my Endurance mount) that isn't even GOOD leather, and it's done a couple hundred trail miles and still looks great. It fits her, we like it, it would be fine for Endurance.

One downside to some of the Endurance-marketed strap goods is how heavy they are. Depends on the design, of course, but the convertible halter bridles and snap reins and various other features do add a lot of weight. My regular Hunt bridle is considerably lighter than my first Endurance headstall. I bought a full convertible halter bridle about midway through my first training season, which is gorgeous and looks great...but I don't use it at rides. I want my horse in a rope halter any time he is tied, so when we come into a vet check or stop for a snack/drink the snap-over simple headstall is all we need...it's perfect over a rope halter. I train in what I intend to race in, so my pretty headstall is mainly a spare. I also went for a padded breastplate at first...but after a few rides, I tried one with no padding, just Beta...my horse sweat less and didn't have any rubs. The padded one is fine, but cost a lot more and weighs more...and I didn't need it.

Many people at the rides I have been to use all sorts of tack. Leather, nylon, synthetic, whatever they like. Some people think the bright colours are obnoxious and use leather-look synthetics, some people think the bright colours are a necessary safety precaution. No one has ever said anything about my tack arrangements except to say that the colour looked nice on my horse. And that we were very easy to see from far away.

New tack was definitely not at the top of my spending list anyway...stuff I really needed to purchase when I started included:
    -Runners that I could ride in, jogging in paddock boots was KILLING me.
    -Safety stirrups so that my runners weren't a hazard
    -Saddle bag to hold some water, bug spray and a GPS
    -Some kind of pocket/belt to hold my phone, house key and ID for when I got separated from my horse/saddlebag (finally discovered the Spibelt, which I love)
    -A helmet that weighed less than my CO and had some VENTS!
    -Sunglasses that didn't move around on my face
    -Crop that could go in my saddle bag, since sticking it in my boot wasn't an option, and I only need it about twice on a ride...$10 telescoping version is perfect.
    -Bright orange stuff so that local hunters didn't shoot me (shirt, saddle pad, saddle bags)

THEN I bought my bright orange + glow in the dark headstall and breastplate.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

1 members found this post helpful.

rugbygirl, I've printed your list for my reference. You've definitely listed things, and discussed details I haven't thought about yet! THANK YOU.

1 members found this post helpful.

So a funny update considering the title of this thread: I just bought a GORGEOUS Taylored Tack halter/bridle combo from another Cother and I lovelovelove it! There is a huge difference between this biothane and the crappy headstall I bought at TSC when I started this thread.

I'm a convert .

What, no pictures? I love seeing horses in their Taylored Tack. If you send her a photo and a story, she might even feature you in her gallery...

http://www.tayloredtack.com/Your_Horse_Gallery.htm
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

Oh! Will do!!

There is a polypropylene fabric bridle that they make some racehorses bridles out of. It doesn't snag or fuzz like unlike regular nylon ones. It does need to be broken in though unlike the nylon ones.
    Save Schrodinger's Cat!!!

Scott,

I bought a very nice biothane halter but haven't used it because I was told that it wouldn't break if the horse caught it on something. Is that true?

TIA

Mary in Western NY
    http://www.bpequine.com

Quote Originally Posted by gothedistance View Post

If I'm getting through to you, then check out Taylored Tack. Amanda makes incredibly beautiful, very sturdy, pliable and "feel good worthy" matching tack. She's often at the bigger rides, so you can check out her mobile tack store for just the right color combo to fit you and your horse. She also does custom orders, and doggie "tack" (collars, leashes, etc) as well.

Good luck.
    Can I ask a question about the Hackamore options. I was recently looking at some hackamores and discussing them with my trainer. A lot of them she said no to that they were too soft or way too harsh. What is your opinion on her hackamore sets? I have never been fully comfortable in riding in a halter, though I have ground driven my gelding in his leather halter and he goes pretty well. Are her hackamore sets soft? (I would consider soft to be halter set up) Or do they have good halting power?

I LOVED this one http://www.runningbear.com/catpages/...Photos-SP.html but her comment was "This looks super soft" I have some good options, but I really like Taylored tacks options. I am leaning towards the sidepull, but if her hackamores have good stopping power I would like one. Too bad she doesn't have any for trials.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Points View Post
    Scott,

I bought a very nice biothane halter but haven't used it because I was told that it wouldn't break if the horse caught it on something. Is that true?

TIA

Mary in Western NY
    http://www.bpequine.com
    Not Scott but I did have one of my horses step on the reins once when he launched me and took off. The reins did break. I also always carry a knife on me and biothane is easy to cut with something sharp.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by tabula rashah View Post
    Not Scott but I did have one of my horses step on the reins once when he launched me and took off. The reins did break. I also always carry a knife on me and biothane is easy to cut with something sharp.
    Thanks, that is good to know.

Mary