The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sprucing Up the Old Romanus

I have decided to take key Stubben Romanus to my local consignment sale. I just don't ride in a dressage saddle enough to keep it. When I bought this saddle used, it seems the previous owner used some type of black polish on it. After a few rides (and blackened breeches) it is back to its greenish gray color. What is the best way to condition it to bring it to it's best condition? Specific products to use? It is pretty dry. If it is okay to ask, what would be a good/fair price tag to put on it for a consignment sale? And one last (dumb) question, do you measure a dressage saddle the same way as a jump saddle? I'm embarrassed to ask that one!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

You measure a dressage saddle just like a jumping saddle. German leathers are tanned differently than English or other leather - use one of the Stuebben cleaning/conditioning products. I wouldn't worry much about the color - people who love their Romanuses (Romani?) expect it; others won't look at it anyway.

[I've got 3 Romanus saddles - they are all that color.]
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

1 members found this post helpful.

I would use Efflax Lederbalsam (I don't know if that is spelled right). I have been using in on an older Stubben and it's the only thing that has worked to get the leather softer. I've also had luck with Leather Therapy on a buffalo Columbo (I don't know what the Romanus is made of).
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

first, you might want to finish removing the old polish. it sounds like maybe they used boot polish or something instead of having it redyed.
    make a solution of 3:1 water to vinegar and dip and squeeze out a rag, and then work in light small circles to remove that stuff.
    Then let it sit in the sun for an afternoon, and the next day (or that evening while the leather is still warm from it's sun bath) condition it with a lanolin based conditioner (if you can find one) or lederbalsam. dab a little on a rag, small light circles. Condition it a few days in a row and it should be perfect.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble