The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: How big a loss is a business supposed to absorb?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • They are supposed to operate on profit, that's what businesses are for

49 51.04%
  • Some losses have to be expected

47 48.96%
  • When it saves me money, they should eat it.

0 0%
  • They are working with horses, how dare they make profit!

0 0%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

So wait, the point was to see if people were civil or not and whether they expected the vet to euth their horse for free? Huh? Even reading between the lines with a microscope I don't see that.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    It was a very interesting week. Pose a couple of questions and watch foam at the mouth....

Well, not part of any poll, it has become abundantly clear that civil discourse is pretty much DOA. I am no longer surprised that so many of my favorite people no longer participate in the discussion.

Alas, it was not even the point.

As to the question about whether a set amount is substantial to the individual (oh goody, I must have really struck a few funny bones) I do sometimes forget that I am not the measure of all things. It would be nice if a select few would remember that little pearl of hard earned wisdom: because your experience is X, it won't mean a thing for somebody on the other side of the country.

At least some meaningful discussion about euthanasia and cost developed, even though that was not the goal, it's a plus.

But it brings me to the above question:
    What kind of losses do you expect a business to absorb.

naturally, the poll results reflect that logic that a business has to stay in the black to continue. (and for those who complained about the nuances of the poll, write your own, it is not as easy as it looks to be precise and not overlapping! )

However (and as usual the most vocal and unfriendly people) there have been a few people in the past who pretty much expect the vet to eat the cost of euthanasia, the BO of burial etc.

Not to mention that against all common sense some demand certain professionals in the horse industry to absorb all the cost and risks because they are engaged in an activity they do not approve of, in the gleeful hope these professionals go belly up, without regard for the services they do provide for the industry.

As I said, these past few days were enlightening, on so many levels. A little disappointing in spots, however not unexpectedly so. Sadly.

Thanks to all you level headed people, and bless the little hearts of the rest.
    What a cop out/crock.
    Show me where anyone has said they expect the vet to eat the cost of euth or the BO a burial cost. I think you'd be heard pressed to find anyone on here that feels that way. It is not unreasonable to expect either of those businesses to have some money allocated for some loss for clients that don't pay or abandon their horse. It happens, and businesses need to have that in their business plan.

Face it...you were trolling and got caught and are trying to figure out a way to save face. And at the same time, being snarky and condescending, and then try to play the "poor me" card, and claim people are mean.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Face it...you were trolling and got caught and are trying to figure out a way to save face. And at the same time, being snarky and condescending, and then try to play the "poor me" card, and claim people are mean.
    You know what's REALLY mean?

Introduced today:
    S. 541/H.R. 1094—The Safeguard American Food Exports (SAFE) Act
    Sponsors: Senators Mary Landrieu (D-LA) and Lindsey Graham (R-SC); Representatives Patrick Meehan (R-PA) and Jan Schakowsky (D-IL).

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

I just saw that luvmytbs. Looks like they're banning horse export for slaughter too.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    What a cop out/crock.
    Show me where anyone has said they expect the vet to eat the cost of euth or the BO a burial cost. I think you'd be heard pressed to find anyone on here that feels that way. It is not unreasonable to expect either of those businesses to have some money allocated for some loss for clients that don't pay or abandon their horse. It happens, and businesses need to have that in their business plan.

I agree entirely with the above post.

Alagirl, it was obvious from the very first page of this thread that the poll and the posts were definitely NOT going the way you had anticipated. Your ridiculous "conclusion" of the poll and the thread was completely off base, especially your claims that respondents expected vets and other professionals to absorb the losses from euthanasia.

Go back and re-read this thread and try to gain some actual perspective of what was stated on this thread. Apparently, there were quite a few posters whose opinions differed from your own. Try to open your mind and learn that simply because an opinion differs from yours, that does not make it asinine.
    Annabelle Mayr, Arcadia Farm
    Home of Fitz, Max, Daeo & Austria
    Now over the Rainbow Bridge: Finn, Jake & Seamus

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I just saw that luvmytbs. Looks like they're banning horse export for slaughter too.
    That's been in the previous versions of the bill too.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon

4 members found this post helpful.

Fact is the OP has no horse, does not ride and has taken everyone for a ride on a silly thread. Those of us who have horses and make choices typically makes good choices for our horses.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Why do you feel the need to attack me?

I asked a question. I do have relevant motives, my personal circumstance however are not part of it.

You, however could afford to spent some money on manners. it does not cost you a thing to be polite.
    I don't think that that alagirl actually works for a living, let alone runs her own business. That said, anyone who is self employed or runs a business would understand that there are losses and gains. Hopefully they all balance out. My husband runs his own business, he's a mechanic. Times are tough, times are good, it's all about the ebb and flow. A mistake is made by the shop, it's sucked up by the shop. Shite happens, if no profit is made this month, press on!
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

Adding: our small animal vet is fantastic. The kids dragged home a poor little barn cat who was very very ill, hoping we could save it. We couldn't. Our vet put that little cat down for 30 bucks. The loss? His profit on what usually costs the client 300 dollars or so. Sometimes you do what you have to do, and do right by the client. It's not always about the money, at least for people I choose to do business with.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

1 members found this post helpful.