The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: How big a loss is a business supposed to absorb?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • They are supposed to operate on profit, that's what businesses are for

49 51.04%
  • Some losses have to be expected

47 48.96%
  • When it saves me money, they should eat it.

0 0%
  • They are working with horses, how dare they make profit!

0 0%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default How many losses do you expect your prfessionals to take?

Yes, the follow up poll.

How many losses of uh, 500-100 dollars is that business you deal with supposed to absorb?

That includes all business, tack store, vet, farrier, trainer, dealer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

That's a very strange question. Why should any business be "supposed" to absorb any loss ?
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

As a customer, I would hope the professionals I work with don't have repeated losses of $500-$1000....

As a professional (farm sitter), I don't work for people who would cause me to have absorb a loss. I expect my clients to pay me on time, every time, and do not tolerate those who don't/won't.
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

2 members found this post helpful.

I expect my professionals to have set their charges in such a way that they can pay for equipment repairs, etc, as a routine part of doing business.

And I don't expect any of them to be dependent on me as a client. I mean, both my vet and farrier were sympathetic when I lost my mare, but neither one sat around twiddling their thumbs and moaning about the lost income. They had other clients ready to fill that gap. As they should.

8 members found this post helpful.

I'm also trying to think of examples the OP might be referring to The only thing I could come up with was something like the list of names of people who've written hot checks to the feed store I frequent (the names are on a huge bulletin board on the wall behind the register). I assume most of those are written off at the end of the year. How much I guess is their accountant's decision.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

1 members found this post helpful.

Are you talking a loss overall at the end of the year the business made nothing, or are you talking about an expense in the course of running a business? Big freaking difference.
    FYI, the OP is talking about paying to have an horse euthanized and rendered or buried vs cashing in at the kill pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Are you talking a loss overall at the end of the year the business made nothing, or are you talking about an expense in the course of running a business? Big freaking difference.
    FYI, the OP is talking about paying to have an horse euthanized and rendered or buried vs cashing in at the kill pen.
    No the OP is talking about the amount of monetary loss you expect a professional to eat. not euthanasia.
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Why would a professional's finances be any of my business? If they are not making any money they won't be in business long so it is a moot point.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Why would a professional's finances be any of my business? If they are not making any money they won't be in business long so it is a moot point.
    yes, one would assume, right.

So what are you suggesting Alagirl, that I send my old lesson horses to slaughter because I don't want to pay for euth and burial or euth and disposal? If that's NOT what you're talking about, what exactly do you mean?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    So what are you suggesting Alagirl, that I send my old lesson horses to slaughter because I don't want to pay for euth and burial or euth and disposal? If that's NOT what you're talking about, what exactly do you mean?
    What I am asking is if you can afford to take losses to the tune of 1k.

I did not say anything about horses, I just mentioned a few professions we deal with as horse owners.

I think I left the feed store out.

Well if you can't take a loss of $1K then you're in the wrong business. Crap happens. There are droughts, tornadoes, wind storms, accidents, deaths, etc. And if you have other income, you can write that loss off against your other income....not for too many years in a row though.

I don't understand...what's the point? Are you wondering whether people with businesses have a spare $1K around in case of an emergency. Again, I would hope so.
    Last edited by LauraKY; Jul. 24, 2013 at 01:00 PM. Reason: spelling
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

8 members found this post helpful.

This question sounds like a setup for some kind of argument I am not likely to be persuaded by if it were stated up front.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

18 members found this post helpful.

When people make a business plan there are losses that need to be calculated into your plan, like Cost of doing business, equip repair, upgrades, etc. A trail riding facility would need to calculate feed, emergency vet care, farrier, equip maint/replacement (manure spreader/gator/hay elevator/building maint/tack repair/replacement, etc.)
    It's not unreasonable to expect that euth/disposal will occur occasionally and should be a planned for expense.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    When people make a business plan there are losses that need to be calculated into your plan, like Cost of doing business, equip repair, upgrades, etc. A trail riding facility would need to calculate feed, emergency vet care, farrier, equip maint/replacement (manure spreader/gator/hay elevator/building maint/tack repair/replacement, etc.)
    It's not unreasonable to expect that euth/disposal will occur occasionally and should be a planned for expense.
    And possibly have a line of credit to pay those expenses as they happen rather than sit on a pile of cash.

Not knowing exactly what the scenario is supposed to be - I would say that all businesses take *losses* from time to time to achieve an end goal, and make a profit in the long run. So, some professionals might give a deal to a customer from time to time, but don't actually "take a loss". E.g. my plumber cuts people a deal sometimes - long term customers, for example, and maybe breaks even on a job...but over the course of the year he makes a profit.

But if it is a horse business (e.g. lesson barn as mentioned above), I am sure the successful ones factor in veterinary care very carefully. No horses, no lessons, no money....

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    This question sounds like a setup for some kind of argument I am not likely to be persuaded by if it were stated up front.
    Yup
    Annabelle Mayr, Arcadia Farm
    Home of Fitz, Max, Daeo & Austria
    Now over the Rainbow Bridge: Finn, Jake & Seamus

Well, if this is about the cost of euth versus selling off stock to a KB, doesn't that depend very much on the health of the animal in question? If they go down the law says they aren't getting dragged back up to go on the truck. Both my buddy and my trainer came home to horses with mortal pasture injuries, out came the vet and there went the money.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Every business takes some losses at some point. How much and in what form are only my business if I'm the owner or a shareholder in some way. No matter what the issue is.

Ummmm....what are you talking about? I would assume a Professional could take a % of their gross or defined amount of loss due to various unforeseen circumstances.

I would also assume said Pro was under no obligation to open their books to any and all who want to look. As well as expect their horse owning clients to also plan on the worst case scenario and have the reserves-or insurance- to handle it as part of responsible horse ownership.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Ummmm....what are you talking about? I would assume a Professional could take a % of their gross or defined amount of loss due to various unforeseen circumstances.

I would also assume said Pro was under no obligation to open their books to any and all who want to look. As well as expect their horse owning clients to also plan on the worst case scenario and have the reserves-or insurance- to handle it as part of responsible horse ownership.
    Only the bank and the IRS get to see the books...

But yeah, I am trolling a little, leaving you guys hanging.
    I will explain later.
    I promise