The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

My Shetland just came second in the beginner walk at Wellington (Ring 37) but the winner was wearing Doda boots.

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm not really sure how little kids on ponies are such a detriment to the sport.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by nutmeg View Post
    My Shetland just came second in the beginner walk at Wellington (Ring 37) but the winner was wearing Doda boots.
    Well of course, what else are they supposed to judge them on?

We don't have to agree on anything to be kind to one another
    EHJ | FB | #140 | watch | #insta

4 members found this post helpful.

Exactly how would one judge a walk only class? What would the criteria be? Walk/halt transitions, circles? My 7 year old stepdaughter wants to go to a show this summer, but she is only going if I feel she can confidently control her pony at a walk and trot- and her pony is a little difficult. Not dangerous, but challenging for a begginer. I know in the long run the hard lessons she is learning will only make her better but I'm hesitant to put her in a class until I know she can manage her tiny 10 hand mount.....any way back on topic.... I can understand the desire to show, but I don't think adding a new class/division for kids that aren't competent yet is the answer.

I just watched that class yesterday. It was actually pretty cute. Those little girls were very determined and it was pretty clear which ones were better seated than others.

I saw it as more fun for the kids and families and didn't even think of it as part of the A rated show because it wasn't. It was in a very far ring and wasn't rated.

There were also cross rail classes and those weren't rated. It was okay to me to have a very large range of classes. Probably good for some trainers/barns that have a range of students they can experience a show together. But clearly they should indicate rates as I think they already do.
    "The horse should pay attention to two things only: the rider’s aids and his own self-preservation at the jump—not the environment. ~ GM

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

They started a non-rated "show within a show" here in Portland (well, at Huntercreek). Since the A shows have lost a fair number of competitors with the economic down turn, and the ring is available, this is making wonderful sense for the trainers, clients and show management. For example, our barn sent several horses to show all week in the A show rings (rated) and then, on the weekend, more of our clients came in to show in the local/non-rated ring. What a great experience for those kids/adults who aren't ready (either financially or ability-wise) to show at an A show--the atmosphere, big rings, fully decorated jumps, fancy tents and barns. Kind of like dipping your toe in before the big commitment. Didn't interfere with the A show, let the local folks see how it runs, brought in an audience for the big Derby, a win-win situation! Granted, the classes began with cross-rails and went up to 2'6" only...so no Beginner Walk classes--I'll bet that was damn adorable!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

6 members found this post helpful.

I don't get it, the under 3' stuff (except for ponies) has never been rated anyway. Is the stabling the same price? How much are the classes? So no med rules and local judges or something?

I'm not sure if I had shelled out the money to go to an A show that I would want a schooling show with a bunch of crazy kids and hairy school horses running around in the middle of it. They can always come and watch the show, why do they have to be in it if they are not ready for it?

I think A shows should be a little more special. What happened to barns that have a show trainer and a home trainer? If you have worked hard and have the time and budget you go to a show or two with the show trainer. If you don't have the time or the horse or the money, you stay home and ride with the home trainer, maybe you go to some schooling shows, you work on your riding, you train your young horse, whatever. Not everyone is entitled to participate.

People are going to be in and out of this sport in a millisecond with this model. There will be nothing to work towards, no longevity, just turn-over. By golly, get them on and get them to a show as fast as possible. And you know who suffers in all of this? The horses.
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    I'm not really sure how little kids on ponies are such a detriment to the sport.
    I agree. I've no right to tell other people how to spend their money. But apparently kids on ponies and amateurs who want to jump 3' and win a little money are both killing the sport. :hmm:

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseymama View Post
    I don't get it, the under 3' stuff (except for ponies) has never been rated anyway. Is the stabling the same price? How much are the classes? So no med rules and local judges or something?

I'm not sure if I had shelled out the money to go to an A show that I would want a schooling show with a bunch of crazy kids and hairy school horses running around in the middle of it. They can always come and watch the show, why do they have to be in it if they are not ready for it?

You've obviously never been to WEF. Same judges, same rings, trainers and barns, and 6-figure ponies who have been stepping down from the division. Not schooling show quality by any means.

2 members found this post helpful.

People are going to be in and out of this sport in a millisecond with this model. There will be nothing to work towards, no longevity, just turn-over. By golly, get them on and get them to a show as fast as possible. And you know who suffers in all of this? The horses.
    I would respond that there is something to work for still and that is to be an A rider.... It is an absolute inspiration watching a beautiful 3' 3" - 3' 6" round!

And maybe it provides a job for the retiree 3 6 horse or a horse that is nice but not able to do that height? Still nice prizes, still nice quality and hard work. Some I watched were showing nice 2 9 to 3 ft horses with goals for higher as they get more experience.
    "The horse should pay attention to two things only: the rider’s aids and his own self-preservation at the jump—not the environment. ~ GM

5 members found this post helpful.

Beginner Walk might as well become Cake Walk so everyone can at least eat something after the class.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

9 members found this post helpful.

It's not just bemoaning the days of yore. There is logic to having a minimal level of ability to control your mount if you are going to show it. These riders are not capable of safely trotting on their own, so let's turn them all loose together in an arena and shut the gate?

This is how we ultimately end up with dopey horses. Getting a whole herd of them prepped enough to where the above situation is considered safe. It's a fairly unrealistic expectation from the get-go, yet it's what we launch these kid's show careers on.
    Exactly.
    And deserved a repeat.

Everyone will bemoan the danger and drugging...and then when evidence of why both are present is given then bemoan the evidence.

The excess money coming in is always a good thing.
    But there has to be a better way.

Nothing to do with the older traditions...everything to do with the current "Pharmacy Farms."

Let's try putting the safety of the children and animals before the money and the ribbons.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Actually I have been to WEF. I was talking about Calvincrowe's post. She was talking about running a show within a show. The classes at WEF and the one's at Thermal are in the prizelist, correct? I didn't think that's what she was talking about. If it's the same judges, the same stabling cost, and the same ring maintenance, then how is it a show within a show? How much cheaper can the classes be? Are they subject to the same drug rules? Who is the governing body?

And just for the record, I do think these classes dumb down the sport. The most special shows to me are the one's like Spruce Meadows Summer Series where the classes start at 1.0-1.10 meter. The beginner walk classes and the schooling show within a show IMO are a bad idea. As a poster above said, if a rider can't control their horse above a walk, they shouldn't be showing yet.
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

Imagine a time when at local shows there weren't even classes below 2'6 for horses and they were ridden by first year kids and old people. If you were a kid, you quickly moved up to 3' and then to 3'6. You actually knew how to ride before you got to a show. You did your homework at home, and didn't have a trainer ride your horse all week and then show up on the weekend. Riding was 6 days a week. Horses weren't drugged or lunged for hours or warmed up 1/2 the day, they were ready and more so were there riders. After you mastered this at the local level you MOVED UP to rated shows. It meant you were good, you could ride. It wasn't perfect and there were always people with more money than talent but it encourage people to ride and not stagnate at 3' for their entire life.
    There is nothing wrong with being a 3' rider but it's not something to crow about either.
    America use to turn out much better riders!

14 members found this post helpful.

I'm sorry but this is ridiculously silly! Are people really THAT impatient that they can't just wait to show until dear child can at least trot all by themselves? It won't take that long.

Braiders' dreams! Sparkle on the hooves next. Can't wait for the (not-really-a-final) National Horse Show Championship Division for this one. But, wait...a HITS $Million Walk Classic!!!!! Finals at Saugerties

5 members found this post helpful.

If my confidence in jumping is wrecked so I go to a local h/j show and simply show in the flat classes, am I bringing down the sport..?
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

What about the .65 meter (2') jumper class at Thermal that everyone who gets around clean and within the time gets a blue ribbon? I could not figure out how all 15 entries won first until it was explained to me. There is also cross rails and adult cross rails which also seems a bid odd.

Quote Originally Posted by PonyPeep View Post
    If my confidence in jumping is wrecked so I go to a local h/j show and simply show in the flat classes, am I bringing down the sport..?
    I believe the comments against are because HITS Thermal is a AA rated show, not a local h/j show.

with a bunch of crazy kids and hairy school horses running around in the middle
    I don't show, so no dog in this fight, but that phrase just jumped out at me because it perfectly describes my LIFE!

Horse-crazy lesson kids, hairy schoolies, & crazy AND hairy me on 43 acres within sight of the Blue Ridge...livin' the dream! (and I do mean that sincerely)