The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Quote Originally Posted by EasterEgg View Post
    I'm just starting to wonder if there's a potential to make a killing selling saintly lead rein and first ridden ponies to the US - it's a serious and proper show class here, so no reason why it couldn't transfer I suppose
    I know that such a thing as leadline x country also exists in the UK (have seen pictures of it) Too bad those Brits don't learn to ride before they compete Xcountry, if they did they might actually produce some decent eventers
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    The market it supplying what is demanded--something for kids (and older riders) who aren't doing 3'6", who want to show, whose trainers are focused on taking clients to A/AA shows but still want those other clients, and want them to pay full price, too. Add in that there aren't the lower-level rated shows in many areas, let alone hunter-oriented locals (which still wouldn't allow the trainer to be in two places at once), and the big shows, especially the ones that essentially run over weeks, are trying to be the one-stop shop. Give EVERYONE in the family something to do.

People who board with show barns expect to show. They're paying the money, they need to get something for it. Shows want to make money. Trainers would prefer to have all their clients in one place. Little kids want to feel like they're doing the 'real thing'. From the show and the trainer's perspective, the sooner they're hooked, the more future juniors they have begging Mom and Dad for more lessons, better ponies, more shows, etc. Apparently the only people being harmed are the ones who, forty years ago, rode their horses to shows, uphill, both ways, in three feet of snow, to jump only 3'6" or higher, once the trainer had deemed them ready, in pancake saddles, with full bridles, for $5/class, over an outside course, and why won't these young whippersnappers show some respect! It's not hurting anyone, least of all the other people competing in what is ultimately a pricey hobby sport that relies on relatively low-level ammies (with more money than time and ability) to keep writing checks to participate.
    I don't disagree with you per se, however what bothers me is that, once again, by adding another class that eliminates the need for trainers to go to anything else than the big A/AA shows, we are eliminating a whole segment of people who would like to participate, but aren't independently wealthy. And those people turn to something else that is more affordable. Eventing, for one. That, however, is a whole 'nother kettle of fish that has been explored often.

And another thought - I guess I equate Mom and Dad hanging that blue ribbon from the Thermal Beginner Walk class with the person shows tons of pictures from a winning class, complete with giant neck ribbon and cooler, all the while neglecting to tell anybody that there were only two in the class.

Even though reported to be gold, the shiney stuff is revealed to just be brass underneath. I think that's the issue as much as anything else.
    The truth is always in the middle.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by crosscreeksh View Post
    I have no arguement with this line of thinking/showing, but it IS a radical change from the "old days" when you learned to "ride" first, then graduated to "showing"!! Today it IS all about making money!! More money hauling, coaching at shows than lessons at home!! Just makes me a bit sad!! If a non-drugged horse far*s the rider falls off...more money for the insurance company!!
    And IIRC from the book about the $80 horse, big shows were so exclusive in some cases you better be in the social register to get an invite. Nowdays people who are paying through the nose for something do not want to be told to keep paying and someday if they have the (increasingly more expensive) horse who can do it and they're comfortable jumping what are in fairness , the trainer will *allow* them to show. Now, if trainers cut their rates significantly, especially for board and "training" rides and horses weren't costing people five figures, it might be reasonable to expect shows to only cater to the 3'6" and up, but asking people to shell out money like that? Cut them out of showing and the smart ones will take their money and go do something like AQHA. As it is, lots of people are priced out of h/j anyway. No sense in driving off the ones who do have the cash to play (and let's also remember--this IS play for the clients doing the showing. Take it as seriously as you like, it's still just a very pricey hobby. If the trainers and breeders and show management want to stay in the horse business, they need to keep the clients happy.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    I know that such a thing as leadline x country also exists in the UK (have seen pictures of it) Too bad those Brits don't learn to ride before they compete Xcountry, if they did they might actually produce some decent eventers
    Well, yes, BUT - those kind of classes (lead rein, parent running round with kid giving 'encouragement' at each fence etc) will only be found at rough and ready Pony Club hunter trials/ODEs, not at major competitions.

I'll beat my familiar drum- people want to "participate" with the horses? Encourage breeding; classes at shows, which generate local shows because you want to minimize expense, and who doesn't love a baby horse? We are all about exalting the little human, but the horse? A piece of equipment, like a cool bike or a skateboard. Maybe we could encourage thinking about "where do these horses come from, anyway?" for most, now, the answer is, "the plane"...

This thread is still going?

You know, I walked by the ring at WEF where these classes were taking place the other day. They were on the cross-rail classes when I went by, and all I saw were little kids having a nice time, enjoying their ponies on a pretty day.

It didn't look like the end of civilization to me. Maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by justridin' View Post
    I'll beat my familiar drum- people want to "participate" with the horses? Encourage breeding; classes at shows, which generate local shows because you want to minimize expense, and who doesn't love a baby horse? We are all about exalting the little human, but the horse? A piece of equipment, like a cool bike or a skateboard. Maybe we could encourage thinking about "where do these horses come from, anyway?" for most, now, the answer is, "the plane"...
    The only thing is, I think this *may* encourage breeding anything with a uterus, thus perpetuating the horses that *can't* compete at the higher levels, because of breeding, not just because of the outrageous expense, if I am reading that correctly (which I may not be, I need more coffee).
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Quote Originally Posted by EasterEgg View Post
    Well, yes, BUT - those kind of classes (lead rein, parent running round with kid giving 'encouragement' at each fence etc) will only be found at rough and ready Pony Club hunter trials/ODEs, not at major competitions.
    Fair enough.
    Personally, I think the idea of Thermal as a show of some great importance is a wee bit arbitrary anyway. It is not a championship show, you don't half to qualify to show there. Lots of modern activities have become more "inclusive" (or dumbed down if you like) over time, I don't know that it is signals the end of something wonderful. All kinds of riff raff can now travel by plane, own cars, climb mountains etc Things change. I would imagine the majority of entrants might be kids who are there already with family. Why not let them play. If someone with the money wants to make a special trip so their kid can "compete" at Beginner Walk and display their "hard won" ribbon over the mantle piece it is no skin off my nose.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Not adding anything relevant, substantial, or important. Laughing that

Quote Originally Posted by crosscreeksh View Post
    far*s
    Farts is a bad word.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Since this trainwreck is still going....

Another Civilization-Ending result of this is the "dumbing down" of financially-viable training businesses.

GM complained a while ago about the Big Eq Industry with its clients who ride well but can't wrap a leg, couldn't tell you what kind of bit their horse wore and why and the rest.

His point was that we were losing the depth of knowledge in our next generation of horse trainers.

So now, when you can build a viable business that goes from lead-line to, say, 3' where's the incentive to learn the better quality riding and flatwork it takes to do more?

If this could work, I could hang out my shingle today and contribute to the downfall of civilization.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat