The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    The difference lies in the fact that leadliners are absolute beginners and thus are LED and ponies are (most often) under control by an adult.

Leadline has been around forever. It's a novelty class.

The 'Beginner Walk' apparently has children that are unable to trot, which to me means that they should still be led if there are multiple animals in the ring in case of a pony playing up.

I've never known anyone that would put a bunch of kids and ponies together in the school at home before they were capable of staying on and controlling the animal at the trot, let alone at a public venue with all the distractions and a group of unfamiliar ponies. (I'm sure there must be people who do this, but I've never known anyone who would think that was a good idea).
    If one pony decides he doesn't want to play the ensuing train wreck could result in a loss of confidence for the kids, which is exactly what beginners don't need.

It's not a good idea at home, or at a show, to let a group of kids who can't trot in an enclosed area together, but it's not the end of the world.
    Knowing the capabilities of ponies who KNOW one another, let alone a ringful of strange ones who could get within double-barreling distance, this class to me sounds like a very bad idea.

2 members found this post helpful.

If these classes were such a bad idea from a safety standpoint, the horse shows wouldn't even OFFER them. They aren't going to make any money by offering classes in which little kids and ponies are getting maimed on a regular basis. Additionally, trainers aren't going to make any money by convincing their clients to spend money so that their children can participate in something that is very likely to end in tragedy. And parents, no matter how clueless some of you think they are, aren't going to continue to enter their children in events that clearly threaten their lives in the oh-so-obvious ways that some of you are implying these classes do. Horse show management, trainers, and parents apparently understand this better than some COTH members do.

And I still don't understand why these classes are perfectly safe when offered at local shows, but become potentially deadly situations when offered at rated shows.

I don't see where anyone here has said any of the things you try to refute in your post. I certainly haven't.

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't see where anyone here has said any of the things you try to refute in your post. I certainly haven't.
    Well of course, I was exaggerating a bit and being purposely melodramatic to prove a point. And I wasn't calling you (or anyone else) out specially, or I would have directly quoted you.

I'm just amazed that so many here are arguing that these classes should not be offered at the big circuit shows due to safety reasons, but then offer the opinion that they are appropriate to include in the prize list at unrated shows. And since I haven't quoted you as being one one of those posters, please don't take that comment personally.

The other argument that makes me laugh is that these classes are "dumbing down" the sport. It's not as if any riders with goals of being competitive over fences at any height are suddenly realizing that they can be satisfied to abandon those goals because hey, I can just go to Thermal or WEF and show in Beginner Walk classes for the rest of my life! Beginner riders who are motivated and interested enough in the sport that they want to improve their riding skills will continue to do so whether or not Beginner Walk classes are offered anywhere, and those who aren't motivated and interested will eventually quit altogether. No one is going to spend his or her entire life riding in Beginner Walk classes, whether they are offered at WEF in Wellington for $$$$$ or Backyard Barn LLC in Bumf*%k Nowhere, USA for $.

I agree with you on the "dumbing down the sport" comments. I don't see how a kiddie class can have that kind of impact..
    Perhaps people are really concerned about "dumbing down the rated show". If that's the case..well.. the horse is out, and has been for several years, so it's too late to shut the barn door.

Times have changed and there is nothing to be done about it.

The top rated shows don't have the same reputation, and reflected glamour on their participants, that they once did.

However, people WANT to enter at Devon, WIHS, NHS etc.. and will pay to do so.

Having classes at the well known rated shows, that used to be classes that would be seen at non rated and schooling shows , IMO is preferable than having those historic shows disappear, even if they're no longer what they used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by AmmyByNature View Post
    Love it!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Quote Originally Posted by ynl063w View Post
    If these classes were such a bad idea from a safety standpoint, the horse shows wouldn't even OFFER them. They aren't going to make any money by offering classes in which little kids and ponies are getting maimed on a regular basis. Additionally, trainers aren't going to make any money by convincing their clients to spend money so that their children can participate in something that is very likely to end in tragedy. And parents, no matter how clueless some of you think they are, aren't going to continue to enter their children in events that clearly threaten their lives in the oh-so-obvious ways that some of you are implying these classes do. Horse show management, trainers, and parents apparently understand this better than some COTH members do.

And I still don't understand why these classes are perfectly safe when offered at local shows, but become potentially deadly situations when offered at rated shows.
    They are equally ridiculous, inane and usury at big or little shows. Stay home. Take lessons. Learn to ride. Maybe WEF, Devon, Harrisburg, Washington, National horse show, WEG, and the Olympics can fatten their coffers by offering walk classes to those hell bent on paying $$ to appear in the same ring (albeit standing still) as real horse show greats.
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

The top rated shows don't have the same reputation, and reflected glamour on their participants, that they once did.

However, people WANT to enter at Devon, WIHS, NHS etc.. and will pay to do so.
    This is where I disagree. The horses and ponies that qualify for the shows mentioned above still have to earn their way there, and money doesn't buy their way in today any more or less than it did decades ago. Don't fool yourselves - money was a factor back then too. Sure, the whole idea of parents leasing ponies for their kids just to show at Devon etc. is an unfortunate new phenomenon, but someone with skill had to earn the pony that spot in the first place. It seems this practice is limited to the ponies at this point, and hopefully the Devon 2012 debacle will keep this trend from spreading to other divisions.

I also don't recall ever seeing junior riders like Victoria Colvin and Lillie Keenan beating out (or even competing with) the professionals on a regular basis back then, and I don't recall a teenager like Reed Kessler ever competing in the Olympics, so forgive me if I don't participate in all the hand-wringing that goes on here when it comes to the future of horse sports. The way I see it, things are actually looking up at least in at least SOME ways.

You're forgetting the EQ, where horses are leased for the big shows.

As much as I am happy for Victoria and Lillie, they are beating the Hunter professionals not the Jumper professionals. You can't really compare the hunter classes of today with those from the past ,and especially you can't compare the horses of today , who crawl around the course and jump with a crest release, and the horses of the past that were a much more challenging ride.

I do love to see Katie Dinan and Reed Kessler win big grand prix classes against the big boys though! I have no doubt that Miss. Colvin when she is of age will excel at the grand prix as well.

I'm just starting to wonder if there's a potential to make a killing selling saintly lead rein and first ridden ponies to the US - it's a serious and proper show class here, so no reason why it couldn't transfer I suppose

I have no doubt that Miss. Colvin when she is of age will excel at the grand prix as well.
    I believe she has already started. Long since.

http://sidelinesnews.com/weekly-feat...es-it-all.html

I guess it all comes down to why someone "shows."

Helps to have something to show, know what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    I believe she has already started. Long since.

http://sidelinesnews.com/weekly-feat...es-it-all.html
    She can't compete in FEI classes until she is 18 can she? I seem to remember Reed Kessler having to wait until 18 until she could compete in many GPs.

She can't compete in FEI classes until she is 18 can she? I seem to remember Reed Kessler having to wait until 18 until she could compete in many GPs.
    Most of the US GP's are not FEI events. They run under USEF rules. Lots of them, 25K Thursday GP and Sunday main event.

Quote Originally Posted by S A McKee View Post
    Most of the US GP's are not FEI events. They run under USEF rules. Lots of them, 25K Thursday GP and Sunday main event.
    I am aware of that. I was referring to the post that mentioned Lillie Keenen and Victoria Colvin as being a new phenomenon( IE young riders winning classes against Professionals.)

Quote Originally Posted by EasterEgg View Post
    I'm just starting to wonder if there's a potential to make a killing selling saintly lead rein and first ridden ponies to the US - it's a serious and proper show class here, so no reason why it couldn't transfer I suppose
    Temperament wise yes maybe but they're not usually the same stamp, they don't have the same dressagey contact/neck

I am aware of that. I was referring to the post that mentioned Lillie Keenen and Victoria Colvin as being a new phenomenon( IE young riders winning classes against Professionals.)
    Apparently you were not. She already won a GP. Seems like there are a usually a few pros in the GP.
    you said: "She can't compete in FEI classes until she is 18 can she? I seem to remember Reed Kessler having to wait until 18 until she could compete in many GPs"
    From your post it really sounds like you were clueless about GP's and how many are US National rules. Point being ( just to clear it up for you) there is no 18 yr old rule in USEF GP's.

So, heard HITS is going to livestream the Walk class tomorrow just prior to the $1Million GP. Toddlers from the WEF flew in earlier this week with their ponies for the big event. The showgrounds are buzzing with excitement about the threat of "The East Coast Weenies." In addition to a trust fund, the winner will receive a silver rattle.

C'mon folks. 9 pages? Coreene has to be having a pretty good giggle of this one!

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by adhock View Post
    So, heard HITS is going to livestream the Walk class tomorrow just prior to the $1Million GP. Toddlers from the WEF flew in earlier this week with their ponies for the big event. The showgrounds are buzzing with excitement about the threat of "The East Coast Weenies." In addition to a trust fund, the winner will receive a silver rattle.

C'mon folks. 9 pages? Coreene has to be having a pretty good giggle of this one!
    Brilliant!!
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy: http://tinyurl.com/kj7x53c
    Stash: http://tinyurl.com/mmm3p4e

Coreene is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by adhock View Post

Coreene is howling with laughter that a "holy $hit, you've gotta be kidding me" thread has gone on for a week/nine pages of hand-wringing!
    EDDIE WOULD GO