The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Question Thermal had a class called "Beginner Walk"

Is this the step between leadline and Walk/Trot? Is a Beginner Walk division next?
    EDDIE WOULD GO

I think it's cool. A few shows near me offer it. A lot of kids (I know one) are too independent for leadline but haven't mastered trotting/posting yet and a walk only class is a great way to bridge the gap. I used to regularly ride with a 5 year old kiddo who was bored with leadline but just couldn't get the rhythm of posting yet, so she may do a few walk classes these upcoming months.
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

WEF has them too. I know a family who flies their three kids back and forth every week just to do that and short stirrup.

1 members found this post helpful.

Coreene is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Victor must be spinning in his grave.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

30 members found this post helpful.

That's funny ! My daughter did walk/trot at her first show, cantering 15 horses in the ring was a bit much but she did a flat class at her next show. "Beginner walk" is too funny....

Edit; I would think walk/trot would be a class one could not "cross enter" in order to qualify for "Beginner Walk".

4 members found this post helpful.

Local shows people. I still remember the good days when there was nothing below green pony hunter, and Jr hunter at rated shows. Our sport is becoming a joke!

41 members found this post helpful.

Why do you guys care? If it makes money to support the shows and it allows people to enjoy it, why not?
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

33 members found this post helpful.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I hear you, Silk, but I must say that "trot a pole" drives me batty. Flat classes at the walk and trot are fine...but if you can't trot a wee tiny X fence, you need to stay in the flat classes until you can. I do think the

Traditionalists From The Good Old Days will decry this as a complete and utter disgrace to the hunter world (you know the one..back when everyone jumped 3'6" over solid fences outdoors, uphill, in the snow?). Shows are simply meeting the needs of all competitors and raking in the money parents will pay to let the littlest and least experienced enjoy a day at the big show. Don't like it, don't enter it!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

10 members found this post helpful.

it might be mean.....

whats next a sit on a horse class? Maybe you could even get a year-end award......

seriously if one is not ready to do a walk trot class one does not need to show.......

49 members found this post helpful.

It's not just bemoaning the days of yore. There is logic to having a minimal level of ability to control your mount if you are going to show it. These riders are not capable of safely trotting on their own, so let's turn them all loose together in an arena and shut the gate?

This is how we ultimately end up with dopey horses. Getting a whole herd of them prepped enough to where the above situation is considered safe. It's a fairly unrealistic expectation from the get-go, yet it's what we launch these kid's show careers on.
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Over 120 quality hunters, jumpers, ponies & equitation sale horses worldwide, follow us on Facebook.

68 members found this post helpful.

I only care because showing rated use to mean something and not just who has the most money. You worked hard locally to be able to be good enough to show rated. Now when people say "I show rated" it means absolutely nothing. Making it to Harrisburg etc and showing 3 foot is just sad!

17 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dags View Post
    It's not just bemoaning the days of yore. There is logic to having a minimal level of ability to control your mount if you are going to show it. These riders are not capable of safely trotting on their own, so let's turn them all loose together in an arena and shut the gate?

This is how we ultimately end up with dopey horses. Getting a whole herd of them prepped enough to where the above situation is considered safe. It's a fairly unrealistic expectation from the get-go, yet it's what we launch these kid's show careers on.
    actually, this is a really good argument. I never even looked at it this way.
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

14 members found this post helpful.

You know what, if you want to spend umpteen hundreds of dollars to show at a walk, more power to ya. I don't quite understand why you would bother- the road from lead line to walk trot should be pretty short if you have the money to have access to trainers and horses that do A shows.

I sure would not want to judge the class. I get wanting youngsters to have a chance to show, but how about in barn schooling shows to make things exciting. You know, maybe have an obstacle course, egg and spoon, Simon Says.

I feel like showing at an A show should be a right of passage and a big deal. Like playing on the Varsity squad or making a travel team.

20 members found this post helpful.

Is this the equivalent of playing t-ball at Yankee stadium?

17 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggle Mom View Post
    Is this the equivalent of playing t-ball at Yankee stadium?
    Hmm, I would say more like dressing up in your baseball uniform, getting a very nice bat and a baseball, then walking one lap around the border of Yankee Stadium and calling it a great day. T-ball is maybe like, children's ponies.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by iEquitate View Post
    Hmm, I would say more like dressing up in your baseball uniform, getting a very nice bat and a baseball, then walking one lap around the border of Yankee Stadium and calling it a great day. T-ball is maybe like, children's ponies.
    And then telling everyone you know that you play for the Yankee's.

18 members found this post helpful.

Can you imagine judging such a class? I would die. That must be the longest ten minutes of life.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HJStyleReport View Post
    Can you imagine judging such a class? I would die. That must be the longest ten minutes of life.
    Don't know. There are experienced riders out there who don't know how to do an active walk in a hack.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfox View Post
    I only care because showing rated use to mean something and not just who has the most money. You worked hard locally to be able to be good enough to show rated. Now when people say "I show rated" it means absolutely nothing. Making it to Harrisburg etc and showing 3 foot is just sad!
    How is showing 3' at Harrisburg sad? My horse as a junior was not ready for the 3'6, but was great at 3'. If I had qualified on him to go to Harrisburg and had the funds I would have thought it to be a great honor. I worked my butt off on that horse! No shame in that height.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfox View Post
    Local shows people. I still remember the good days when there was nothing below green pony hunter, and Jr hunter at rated shows. Our sport is becoming a joke!
    If they want the whole "English-only" experience, in a lot of places, what local shows? And having a casual show at the barn works only if the trainer's home and not hauling everyone they can to another rated show, OR if the clients and trainers alike are okay with staying home without that trainer. (And let's face it, some trainers aren't going to want their clients getting the idea they can do even "local" shows alone.)

It sounds silly, but I suppose if you're hauling Mom/the older kids/the horses off to the rated show and younger kid wants to do something, and people will pay for it, you can't blame the show managers for making money. Shows are turning into 'one-stop shops.' I never showed A because when I rode with a show trainer, there were Cs and Bs she could take her kid clients to. And my second trainer stayed home while only the top people went to Florida in the winter.

2 members found this post helpful.