The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I wouldn't have given away all that free legal advice had I remembered that Fairfax would come along and make us all stupider for having engaged in this discussion.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

3 members found this post helpful.

Great. Another harassment tool for wacky neighbor feuds. My husband used to be on my town's conservation commission. Man, you would not believe how childish two adults can be when it comes to arguments over yard maintenance. (And how annoying it can be to field the Saturday morning calls from wacky neighbor A, who doesn't like where wacky neighbor B has positioned his leaf pile.) Lovely when wacky neighbor B can now sue wacky neighbor A for using an invisible fence.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by carp View Post
    Great. Another harassment tool for wacky neighbor feuds. My husband used to be on my town's conservation commission. Man, you would not believe how childish two adults can be when it comes to arguments over yard maintenance. (And how annoying it can be to field the Saturday morning calls from wacky neighbor A, who doesn't like where wacky neighbor B has positioned his leaf pile.) Lovely when wacky neighbor B can now sue wacky neighbor A for using an invisible fence.
    That's pretty much the way I look at it too.

I think....

Animal cruelty complaints are a job for third party unprejudiced state authorities to investigate and initiate any action when appropriate.

Providing the common citizen with power of investigation, and capacity to initiate private action, creates a probability for prejudiced abuse of that power for objectives unrelated to the prevention of animal cruelty.

I'd like to hear an example of how the enactment of this bill may protect an animal, where the currently established animal protection laws cannot.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    Oh, and I'll bet this bill was filed "by request". It would be interesting to know who asked this guy to file it. Montigny has been implicated in the past for peddling influence for campaign contributions...he's been named in reports on the Mass Probation Department cronyism scandal.
    Yeah, I wouldn't read too much into this bill honestly. This bill was most likely drafted by a loyal constituant who's legislator obligingly filed it. That's how stuff works, and these types of bills don't go anywhere.

Email your reps, but this bills chance of being passed is about as good as a Republican presidential candidate carrying the state.