The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Spinoff: Will the EHV-1 virus influence your decision to show this season??

What are your thoughts on this years show season regarding the EHV-1 virus? If you are in an infected region, are you going to risk it? What variables will influence your decision (no new outbreaks)?

ETA: If you will be showing this year, what preventative measures will you be taking (disinfecting stalls etc), if any?

I'm going to be thinking long and hard before going to a multi-day show until there is at least a month with no more outbreaks.

On top of that, I don't know that I will be all that eager to go to a HITS show. I'm guessing that many of the same trainers and horses down in Ocala and WEF will be at Culpepper and Saugerties, including those that didn't obey the quarantine and made it out of Ocala with infected horses (and yes, I know of one trainer who supposedly did that, and now there are horses at his/her barn showing signs). Plus, I have not been overwhelmed by the information put out by the show organizers.

At the end of the day, my horse's health and welfare is more important to me than any ribbon, and it's not like I am on my way to Olympics where this is my last chance to prove something.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGrnRideIrish View Post
    ETA: If you will be showing this year, what preventative measures will you be taking (disinfecting stalls etc), if any?
    As far as extra precautions ... travel in my trailer, disinfect stalls (as much as reasonably possible), and keep a distance from other horses at the show. I'm going to try and make sure I don't cross contaminate with other horses - as much as I can.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

I show in AZ starting Wednesday and will be going to all HITS Culpeper shows in the summer and fall. Will be acting per normal.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

Default What about Devon?

Been on my mind, as well...
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Devon is nearly 3 months away; the HITS quarantine is almost over (1 more week I believe?) with no new cases. I'm planning on going and business as usual there; if it was in 3 weeks or a month it might be different.

Devon is 3 months but entries close in 2 weeks.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

And do you think the fact that some decided to stay home or do lighter showing b/c of EHV will make for lower points thresholds for Devon? Just a thought ...

Hopefully it is over long before Devon. I am still showing but show off my trailer everywhere except Devon so should be minimal risk.

It already has heavily impacted our showing plans. We have avoided and scratched shows where we feel the risk factors may be higher. I only ship on my own trailer and keep pony far away from others who MAY have been exposed.

Luckily, i think we are fairly solid devon points wise this year and have been in position to back off these past few dangererous weeks. I don't see a massive difference in the point structure this year (beyond the fact that this is he first 12 month period with the new usef point stystem in place). That is a bit of a wild card

But way more important than Devon or points is the welfare of these animals which must be everyone's priority
    Last edited by sarcam02; Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Edited to add sentiments

Am I the only one totally craving fudge after the mention of Devon?!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Am I the only one totally craving fudge after the mention of Devon?!
    You were until you brought it up. Thanks, now I want fudge too...
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Mia412 View Post
    You were until you brought it up. Thanks, now I want fudge too...
    I do too. I make fudge that is quite good, but it's a different consistency than the Devon fudge. Thanks a lot, Laurierace..

There was a COTHer that once posted a recipe for Devon fudge I believe. Any of our resident sleuths want to put their skills to good use? I can't ever get the search function to turn up anything relevant.
    Edited I found it! Thanks to Virginiabred!

For Devon Fudge, from the Devon Country Fare Cookbook, 1983.

2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
    2/3 cup evaporated milk
    2 cups sugar
    dash salt
    1 teaspoon light Karo syrup (optional)
    2 tablespoons butter (not margarine)
    1 teaspoon vanilla (not imitation)

Combine chocolate, milk, sugar and Karo syrup and cook over medium heat stirring constantly until mixture comes to a full rolling boil. Then cook, stirring constantly, over low heat until candy thermometer reads 236 degrees or mixture forms a soft ball when dropped in cold water. The cooking time varies with each stove but it takes approximately 30 minutes for 1 pound.

Take off heat, add butter and vanilla and place pan in cold water in the sink. Beat untilfudge is fairly thick and creamy. Pour quickly into a buttered 8x8 inch pan and allow to cool. When almost cool, cut into 1 - inch squares.
    Do not refrigerate.

I'm in central florida and not showing this season due to a wither problem and then colic surgery..finally back in the saddle on a rebuilding program. That said: another at my barn was quite interested in showing in Ocala this weekend, dressage show at FHP. some of us here at barn were worried as one boarder was planning to show off her trailer; yes she was taking many precautions, but really it doesn't take much to bring back a problem. Thankfully show was cancelled!

p.s. never heard about fudge at Devon, but now my ears are pricked....
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

I will send baked goodies to anyone who will send me fudge from Devon...

Currently there're no cases being reported anywhere close to where I would show but if there's even a whisper of one in my area, my baby is staying home (3 year old). I would only be going off property for the experience and would just show in the hacks. Not worth it if there's a risk he'll get sick! Hopefully this is all be over by next year and I won't have to worry about it (he'll be doing baby greens if all goes as planned).

If you board your horse at a show barn and horses from your barn attend a show and are exposed to the virus, guess what, your horse may still be exposed by "staying home". Staying at home DOESN'T prevent your horse from being exposed unless your horse lives at home or at a barn that is quarantined.

It didn't deter us from showing locally, but we quarantined both horses who went as they were stabled over night and touched noses with their neighbors quite a bit.

If not in my area I will probably go out and about a little. I have a few things on my schedule midsummer and don't plan on making changes until we see how it is going.

However -- I had a pony who caught neuro EHV-1 at a horse show. There were no known outbreaks at the time. I showed her off the trailer, second horse in my division -- so she got off the trailer, trotted to the ring, jumped 3 jumps, did her round, walked around the warmup during the course change, was first in her next round and trotted back to the trailer so I could get my other horse. She did not eat grass, sniff noses or otherwise have contact with other horses or people. She did not get a hose afterward (it was cold) or otherwise have any contact with the barns.

She nearly died and we spent over $10k keeping her alive (week in ICU/isolation in a sling, with a spinal tap/experimental drugs).

The vets believed she likely got it walking by a horse that sneezed -- or that a horse sneezed near the water hose I used to fill up buckets, got a droplet on the hose and the hose touched my bucket.

This is extremely easy to transmit, so don't think that you are 100% safe because you disinfect stalls or even show off the trailer. Do NOT stand around by the in-gate, let your horse eat grass (if an infected horse ate nearby grass it can transfer), or pet your friend's new horse then pet your own. Most people's biosecurity is really abominable, despite their good intentions. I myself don't believe I know enough about it to keep my horse 100% safe, nor do I really think it's possible in a show context.

That said, my pony got it when there were no known outbreaks at all -- the risk is always there.