The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: How much is $1000 to you?

Voters
301. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing much, I have that in petty cash

65 21.59%
  • It's substantial, but I can manage

168 55.81%
  • If we eat Ramen for months, we can wing it

42 13.95%
  • I'd be turned away from the Poor House for being too broke

26 8.64%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Yes i have it and yes ive had to pay it twice in a year for my 34yr old and 36 yr old. Where I live there is no lower cost option unless you have room to bury on your property. I do not, I have a lot of granite under me so very hard to dig deep enough. The actual euth is about 100 bucks. If you have room you can rent or have someone come with a backhoe etc to dig for about 200 around here. If you do not you can have them cremated. Cremation is 1 dollar per pound the last time I had to do it so it cost a pretty penny. If your horse is at the university they do a group cremation there that's reasonable but we opted for our 34 yr old horse we out down there 6 years ago to be picked up and cremated separately so we could bury his ashes on the farm here. All ours have their ashes buried here at home. It's not cheap in my neck of the woods and these are the only options I've found in this county. Then again this county wants farms gone so they've raised taxes like crazy if you own land so I can see why they don't offer to help any.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Oh I forgot, I am pro slaughter but i would not send my horses to one by no means. If I had to because something happened and I truly couldn't afford it I would take my guys to the zoo where they are humanly put down in a quiet room by themselves and then they are used for the other animals at the zoo.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

What an odd way to take a poll.

We have money set aside for absolute emergencies for the horses, and it's much more than it would cost to euthanize (which is about $200 for euthanizing and $100 for back ho rental to dig the hole). We've never actually dipped in to the emergency funds in 12 years, but I have had put a few horses down, and that doesn't come out of the emergency stash.

It costs $800 to cremate a horse in this area, which is crazy expensive to me. I have no idea where you come up with anything near $1000, unless you're including a string of vet treatment prior to euthanizing.

You've turned it into more than just a simple question. No, I don't have that kind of money lying around for just anything. But that does not justify being rewarded for knowingly sending my horse off in inhumane conditions. I took responsibility for his life and I will figure something out -- if I can't, I shouldn't have the horse b/c how am I buying feed and hoof care and other necessities. A bullet doesn't cost much, so if it must be done, disposal is the cost.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    I agree with this. The money to euth a horse is the same money as calling the vet out when he cuts his leg on his stall door (which ran me $800 last year, thanks Alph). If coming up with $500-1,000 for occasional emergencies is really going to cramp your lifestyle, then probably it would be best to not have an animal dependent on you that it is not a question of if but rather when, how soon, and how often will it decide to rack up a $500-1,000 bill out of the blue.
    In my experience, some people are willing to pay for vet care if it means their horse will still be useful afterwards. But they are not willing to pay for euthanasia, because they want to get whatever little monetary value their horse has left in it at the end. It's not always a matter of ability, but instead desire to get rather than give at the end of a horse's usefulness.

I'm of the side that says if you're going to own horses, you should be prepared for the inevitable expenses.

I live in the same state as Sketcher and believe me when we say it's frightfully expensive if you have a horse put to sleep. Ask me how I know.

So the answer to the question would be yes, I could spend a $1000 dollars and not go into the poor house or have to eat Ramen noodles. That being said, I do work hard for every penny. I just had knee surgery and took off a whopping two days before I went back to work. My job is a physical one but I am very adept on crutches.

I live in the same state as Sketcher and believe me when we say it's frightfully expensive if you have a horse put to sleep. Ask me how I know.

So the answer to the question would be yes, I could spend a $1000 dollars and not go into the poor house or have to eat Ramen noodles. That being said, I do work hard for every penny. I just had knee surgery and took off a whopping two days before I went back to work. My job is a physical one but I am very adept on crutches.