The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: How much is $1000 to you?

Voters
301. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing much, I have that in petty cash

65 21.59%
  • It's substantial, but I can manage

168 55.81%
  • If we eat Ramen for months, we can wing it

42 13.95%
  • I'd be turned away from the Poor House for being too broke

26 8.64%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

If you are a professional, by definition you plan for "unexpected" expenses. Unless you are a state/country stud, then you need to make sure your net revenue > expenses. It's common to all capitalist enterprises.
    How much you can afford depends on each business.

There are some posters who give me headaches, dizzy writer was one and some others who are so theoretical I get impatient with their posts.

P.S. Putting my cats down cost $120 each. Euthanizing horses have been in the $1000 range YEARS ago. Fortunately I haven't had to do that yet.

1 members found this post helpful.

It's a lot of money but I'd find someone with some land who would let me shoot my horse on it and leave if for nature to clean up rather than send her to auction or to a kill buyer.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    Euthanizing horses have been in the $1000 range YEARS ago. Fortunately I haven't had to do that yet.
    Where exactly? I live in NY also, and have the receipts from the equine clinic to show that it is no where near that amount in *my* area. Do you live in downtown Manhattan?

Suburbs, all the barns are owned by one entity in my area. The yellow pages don't have an entry under Renders lol. And all animals must be cremated by law. When I was growing up, you could bury your family pet in your back yard. Totally verboten now.

I used to have extra money lying around for emergencies, etc. And then my Fiance lost his job and now I pay for everything. And I have .78 cents in my savings account right now. And I pray to God every day that I am not faced with a horse "emergency" I cant cover.

Since our loss of income, I have done everything humanly possible to cut out as many "expenses" as possible. We dont go out to eat, or go to the movies; I haven't bought a piece of clothing for myself is nearly six months. We have one car and I work off my horse's field board by doing chores at the barn on the weekends.

It sucks and I hate it (having no money - not doing barn chores!). I hope things will be normal again one day. Who would think making $60k a year would still render you "broke" most of the time?

Then again, my horse would cost nowhere near a grand to euth. and dispose of. In a pinch, it would be free, less the gas to put in the backhoe. I guess I am lucky that way.

Wow...that's the first time I have actually admitted "out loud" that we are struggling. I guess I needed to purge my soul on COTH
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

4 members found this post helpful.

It was about $350 total for my Star Runner.

And closer to $500 for my MIL's Appaloosa gelding. Two different areas, but the 2nd had a higher cost for the actual euthanasia. I had worked for the first clinic and they gave a bit of a break.

But a coworker wanted to have his pet rat euthanized the other year. Guess what the local clinics wanted for that....

$150.

For a rat.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
    I agree, but considering the financial crisis many have suddenly found themselves in lately, I refuse to make judgements about people when I don't know their circumstances. For all I know they are out of work and have been trying to place that horse for years.

I don't judge anyone who may have to look at that last bit in the emergency fund and decide for themselves whether to put the horse down or save that $$ for next month's food for the kids.

And placing a horse (especially, god forbid, an imperfect one) isn't easy anymore, as evidenced by the giveaways sections, the "haul him away" ads on Craigslist, and even here on COTH, the "I'm soon to be homeless and can't find anyone to take my horses and I've been trying for a year" threads.

Easy to judge when you're not in their shoes.
    Oh I totally get it and was very actively involved in rescue work for 7 years. Founded a 501(c)3 and saw all sorts of situations. Yes, sh!t happens - people loose their jobs, medical bills destroy the healthiest of savings, and divorce can put property (horses, dogs, etc.) into total chaos.

However, there are far too many folks who get the horse or dog or whatever for VERY little to NO initial investment without comprehending that it's the day to day upkeep - and the end days for the geriatric/infirm animal - that will take your last dollar and then some. How many critters are there whose owners acquired them on a whim and now those animals are very far on the priority list. There's a girl a mile or so down the road from us who inherited her farm, acquired 3 horses, and while there's a new trampoline, GIANT tv, four wheelers, etc. the horses go without EVERY SINGLE WINTER. We have a group of folks who stay in constant contact w/animal control in order to make sure these horses even get hay. Folks need to go into animal ownership with their eyes wide open. My statements are not made in judgement of anyone - more as a plea to those who sign up for this horse ownership thing w/o thinking.

You're right that the recent economic turn down has left a lot of big, not easily place-able animals and their owners in a lurch. FWIW I have worn those shoes before...when I saw the writing on the wall after ex-hubby left w/all the $$ leaving me with everything that ate, cried, and pooped...I had some very difficult decisions to make when life threw me a curve ball. Being able to place one's animals is a multi-faceted issue involving the soundness/health of the animal, how adaptable it is, how well trained it is...and that reminds me of the lady in the Buck Brannaman video with the herd of semi-feral stud colts.

I stand by what I wrote. Sh!t happens but too many people allow themselves to get in over their heads with the cheap or free horses/dogs, etc. that they acquire.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post
    That is a VERY high amount for putting a horse down + disposal. There are other options, some of them free ones. I think it has more to do with what we, as humans, are "comfortable" with.
    I know this is a difficult and unpleasant subject, but it pays to educate one's self before and emergency situation arises. For example this is our local landfill fees:
    "Animals:
    Small: $5.00 each in-County, $15.00 each out-of-County
    Large: $10.00 each in-County, $20.00 each out-of-County"
    There are also zoos, big cat sanctuaries, etc

***A few years ago I knew nothing about all those options but have unfortunately had to become familiar with the topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by DLee View Post
    I've put quite a few horses down in different parts of the country and it has never even approached $500, much les 1k.
    Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    Where exactly? I live in NY also, and have the receipts from the equine clinic to show that it is no where near that amount in *my* area. Do you live in downtown Manhattan?
    The last horse I had put down, a bit over a year ago, cost me about $1100. I had to have her cremated because she was not near anywhere I could bury her. So, between paying the vet to go to the crematorium to put the horse down and paying to cremate her, it was a lot of money.

It cost me $800 to have a pony put down a few years before that. It was almost $500 to get someone to come take the carcass away after a vet bill over $200.

We can not bury horses on our property. The neighbors are nosy and would report us in a heartbeat. And I do not currently have any friends that I would feel comfortable with asking to bury in one of their fields.

So, it is an expensive proposition to put a horse down where i live.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    The last horse I had put down, a bit over a year ago, cost me about $1100. I had to have her cremated because she was not near anywhere I could bury her. So, between paying the vet to go to the crematorium to put the horse down and paying to cremate her, it was a lot of money.
    There is no renderer in your area, or you didn't want to use one? I understand why someone would choose cremation over rendering, but unless there is no rendering service in your area it's a choice. I'm not saying rendering is cheap, though, I think it is something like $.03-$.05/lb.

Skecher, did you call the local dump? Many take large animals. Renderer? I am shocked there were no other options than cremation. When I had my horse PTS in college I was heart broken for the renderer to take him, I was young and it was really out of nowhere. But I just couldn't justify the money to have him hauled back to the farm I boarded at (if they'd even let me bury him there?) or cremated in my college budget. Again, shocked there were absolutely no other options but cremation.

To answer the OP's question, I am lucky in that my vet bills me and I always pay within my 30 day window. Trust me it makes things way easier however if I could not access $500-1000 to care for my horses I would not have them. When I was younger I did not have that and it was far too stressful for me and had anything actually happened, it would have been to my horse's detriment. Which was not fair to them.

It honestly doesn't bother me to have the renderer take my dead horses. What made them them is gone, and to me it's like recycling or organ donation - someone might as well get some use out of it. And here in Tennessee it's so rocky I might have to blast to get deep enough to bury a horse. I'm not sure a backhoe would do it.

StG

There is no renderer in your area, or you didn't want to use one? I understand why someone would choose cremation over rendering, but unless there is no rendering service in your area it's a choice. I'm not saying rendering is cheap, though, I think it is something like $.03-$.05/lb.
    There definitely IS a renderer in New Jersey who is happy to serve all of suburban New York and even in to Connecticut. Their name is known to all the vets who work in these areas, and they are most efficient if not super-cheap, so I'm totally not seeing the "cremation required" thing. I've never heard of that being the case anywhere.

I had to put down an old pony last year, it was $200 vet bill & $600 for renderer to haul away. I questioned the cost, he said fuel. Of course he's driving an ancient beat up truck that probably get's 5 miles to the gallon but then you probably don't want to haul a lot of dead livestock in a nice truck.

I'm glad (& grateful) to say I do have the $1000 readily available now. But I've been where I did not & it is a very scary, uncomfortable place to be. I plan to keep building that emergency fund until I have a year's worth put away, then throw it all into retirement.

Looking back, as soon as I found myself out of a job & having no emergency cash, I should have rehomed the horses. I was just lucky nothing horrible happened during the time I was broke.

Glad we have a renderer in our area. They will also shoot the horse and remove the carcass for $125. And that is up from the $75 it use to be. Now to have the vet put it down I want to say after farm call, sedation, and euthenasia is around $300-$400

Quote Originally Posted by tidy wabbit View Post

Yes I pay for the "high end" euthing for my horses when necessary. Unfortunately I've had to do it before and I'll do it again if and when necessary. It's a part of ownership. Yes I oppose horse slaughter. I consider horses the same as dogs and cats. Sure in asian they eat dogs, but we don't ship them off for slaughter in the USA.

And my money doesn't "lay" around.
    The way you dispose of your horses is your choice as their owner. The problem is not all people can or want to dispose of them in that same way. Personally I would shoot and render my horses before thinking of the slaughter route, but I don't see slaughter something to oppose. It is an option for some and they are free to use it. The horses belong to them.

well of course I have 1000 for euth. My horses are always going to get the best care at all times. I'm far from rich but if I don't have that much for euth then I should not have a horse. My horses are always insured for as much as possible also. I don't have car payments, kids, iPhone, new clothes (goodwill is my friend) and don't spend a lot on things like hair/shoes, etc.

We do not have a local dump and there is no renderer. I would have no problem with a renderer. I would have no problem feeding them to the zoo animals. I would have no problem burying them on someone else's property if I had such a friend.

They guy who came and took the pony buries them on his land. He has to come from about 1.5 hours away. I'm not even sure what type of operation or pit or license he has to take away all these horse carcasses and bury them on his property and I don't want to know because when that option goes then it is off to the crematorium for all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Ok... since you really can't break free from the euthanasia...

you tripped and need a brace for your tailbone...

The clouds keep obstructing your sunlight for the grass and you need a cloud pusher.
    If all you are really interested in is how much people have in savings then I don't see how this thread is horse related at all and should be shut down.

My personal thought on this thread would be "Do I have $1,000 kicking around?" - ehm MYOB.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate66 View Post
    If all you are really interested in is how much people have in savings then I don't see how this thread is horse related at all and should be shut down.

My personal thought on this thread would be "Do I have $1,000 kicking around?" - ehm MYOB.
    As mentioned a few times before: You don't have to answer.

But even the rude answers are very enlightening, to be honest. Very!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Sketcher, what do the vets do with horses that die in their clinic? Are they all cremated also?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant