The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: How much is $1000 to you?

Voters
301. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing much, I have that in petty cash

65 21.59%
  • It's substantial, but I can manage

168 55.81%
  • If we eat Ramen for months, we can wing it

42 13.95%
  • I'd be turned away from the Poor House for being too broke

26 8.64%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Yes, I have access to money for vet bills, euth, etc. If I didn't have a substantial savings built up I wouldn't own one.

Owning a pet is a luxury. If you decide to own one, you should have money for vet bills or at the least, euth and disposal.

And if you own a horse, presumably you pay for it's care (board, feed, foot care, teeth care, shots, vet care). If the horse needs to be euthed/disposed of the amount of money it costs is probably at or less than a month of two of care if it were alive. So there IS money available in most cases.
    Having access to....like borrowing from mom?

No, Love, the question is: How deep a hole do an extra 1k rip into your wallet.
    The asinine merry-go-round musical chair discussions of slaughter might have inspired my question, but it certainly not at the heart of it.

So are you economizing or making Ramen?

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    That was my thought as well. I paid $100 a few years ago for the euthanasia and $50 for the backhoe; the excavator was a friend, though, so we could maybe assume $150 for euth (4 years later) and $250 for backhoe? Obviously it helps to own enough property to be able to bury the animal, although in the future I'm not sure I really want the euth drugs in my soil, even though they are far from my water sources.

I know the clinic will also compost and then bury euthanized horses on their property. I'm not sure the cost for that but I recall it being relatively inexpensive. Not a very glamorous ending, but low cost if you can get to the clinic.

I think I recall the renderer being something like $.03-$.05/lb, so that is a higher end disposal, but they do pick up which is huge; moving a 1000lb carcass isn't easy.

While I know everyone can fall on hard times - if you are a horse owner and can't cover euthanasia and disposal, you really should reconsider horse ownership. Horse ownership is entirely elective, as opposed to things like mortgages, food, heat and lights...
    Nope, not the question

the extra money, does it leave you on months of Ramen or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Nope, not the question

the extra money, does it leave you on months of Ramen or what?
    I edited my last post before I saw this - yes, I have this kind of money in my savings account.

I think a better question would be have any of you actually taken a horse to auction because you did not have the money for euthanasia and disposal.

The market for horses includes the ones that are slaughtered. We seem to be breeding enough horses to supply the market.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

No, it doesn't leave me with months of Ramen. And I consider funds for contingencies part of horse ownership...if you can't afford them, then don't have them. Several years ago when we were awash with human medical bills, yes, it would have had an impact. But I made sure I had enough on hand for contingencies.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

4 members found this post helpful.

Question

Well, that was the question posted in the OP as I read it:

"So I am wondering, who of the COTH people can actually afford to just eat 1000 bucks (admittedly on the higher end of disposal) without tearing a major hole into the budget? "
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

I've put quite a few horses down in different parts of the country and it has never even approached $500, much les 1k.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post

"So I am wondering, who of the COTH people can actually afford to just eat 1000 bucks (admittedly on the higher end of disposal) without tearing a major hole into the budget? "
    You're right. That was the original post:

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl
    How much money is hat to you?

No, I am not asking for donations or handouts.
    But I am wondering.

The ongoing asinine 'discussion' on slaughter, how 'evil' people are to let a horse go for a few bucks, knowing that they will go 'down the pipeline'

So I am wondering, who of the COTH people can actually afford to just eat 1000 bucks (admittedly on the higher end of disposal) without tearing a major hole into the budget? and CCs don't count, imagine they don't exist.

I know I can't although I am not implying I am selling my imaginary ponies down the road.....
    Like I said, polls don't work well when you frame the question to get the answer you're looking for.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

Well it sounds like a lot of you are very lucky to have cheap euthanasia options. If I had to have my vet come out for an emergency call, that's $100, plus whatever he would charge me for the pink stuff - probably a $200 appointment (don't remember, it has been a couple years since I've had to do it). I basically live on a big slab of granite rock, so getting a backhoe out to dig a hole wouldn't be feasible for burial. So I've got to call the pick-up guy. He also charges a couple hundred dollars. So I think for me a euthanasia would be $500 or so. Personally, I'd rather pay the money for a vet to do it than to shoot the horse myself, but that's just me - I don't think it matters to the horse. I do have a friend who has done the shoot and shovel (backhoe) route. There is/was an organization around here somewhere that did low-cost euthanasia - like maybe $100 for the whole shebang but you've got to trailer the horse to them. With one exception, the times that I've put down a horse it has been in a situation where it would not have been possible for the horse to travel so it was an emergency vet call so the horse wouldn't suffer (old age - colic for one and he went down and couldn't get up for the other).

I do have the money in savings for emergencies and no $1000 wouldn't put me out for something like that.
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post

I know my fellow COTHers. They cannot follow instructions, cannot follow an argument if their life depended on it.
    I did say what prompted me to pose the question. I figured I throw out a number which has been mentioned here or there and try to head that cow off at the pass but saying that I am aware that many have cheaper options.

But the question still is: Can you just spend 1000 dollars?
    Can you wing it by planning ahead (savings)
    can you just do it on a whim (some people are that fortunate)
    or do you have to economize long term
    or are you going to end up under a bridge doing so?

In my lifetime of owning horse, there is always the potential for something to go wrong that costs $500-1000 EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. And yes whether I had a pot to piss in, or clawing my way out or was rolling in dough I've always had access to the appropriate amount of funds and/or means to do what needs to be done regarding all of the animals. Which IMNSHO, is as it should be. This does not mean heroic efforts needs to be taken (think Barbaro), only smart common sense decisions.

I am also one of those who had her world rocked by the economy, job loss, and family health problems. I still had the access to what they needed all the way through the Ramen fest.

I did not vote.

5 members found this post helpful.

My costs to euthaniaze a colt who fell on ice and had severe spinal damage.

$250.00 for vet travel time (1 hour) Xylazine/Rompun Injection PEr cc was$20.00 and Euthanasiz and examination $85.00 Euthanyl Forte per cc $33.60

Rendering pickup $147.50

And I want to note...BECAUSE I am a good customer who always pays my bills on time, they cut the costs by 1/2 (except mileage)

Most charge around $500.00 plus travel and then you have the rendering. l

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I agree that you should have a bit of a reserve to care for your horse one way or another. In my area, NE Colorado, Weld County Bi-Products will let you drop a horse off at their rendering facility for $40, or they will pick up for $75. The truck driver has dispatched the odd cow or two for us, they use a .22 pistol, and the guy does a great job.

I always feel slightly sick to my stomach when someone wants to buy a relatively cheap horse on payment plans. There are so many unforeseen things that can come up. Even if you have a cheap method for disposal, the vet fees can add up quickly before that. I know things are tight for so many, and cushions that used to be there are not any longer, but people who enter into ownership with just enough for next month's board should perhaps think twice.

Just last month I had a $600 dollar vet bill because our dog got kicked in the face by one of our horses. It was a much more relaxed trip to the vet knowing that I could write a check for it and not eat Ramen. Which is gross anyways. Pup was fine, the eye was fine, but she required 3 layers of sutures to close the gash
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    My costs to euthaniaze a colt who fell on ice and had severe spinal damage.

$250.00 for vet travel time (1 hour) Xylazine/Rompun Injection PEr cc was$20.00 and Euthanasiz and examination $85.00 Euthanyl Forte per cc $33.60

Rendering pickup $147.50

And I want to note...BECAUSE I am a good customer who always pays my bills on time, they cut the costs by 1/2 (except mileage)

Most charge around $500.00 plus travel and then you have the rendering. l
    Ok... since you really can't break free from the euthanasia...

you tripped and need a brace for your tailbone...

The clouds keep obstructing your sunlight for the grass and you need a cloud pusher.

I keep at least $2K as a BUFFER in my checking account. That makes it easy when you get tires, an unexpected car repair, vet bill, etc.

I don't judge people who don't have that luxury. Certainly there have been MANY times in my life when I wasn't able to. When we do have those emergencies, I have to rebuild my buffer. Hey, stuff happens.

When I don't have my buffer, I have inconvenient places where my money is stored. I don't actually have a traditional savings account, and haven't ever since interest rates have been so dismal as to make it not worth it. That means my money is not easily accessible, which is why I've been making the buffer in my checking account. It's better that way, really, even if interest rates go back up I'll probably just keep doing it this way.

But the question still is: Can you just spend 1000 dollars?
    Can you wing it by planning ahead (savings)
    can you just do it on a whim (some people are that fortunate)
    or do you have to economize long term
    or are you going to end up under a bridge doing so?
    Just being nosy?

As a farm owner with 5 horses - you better believe I can spend $1000 on a whim. What an idiot I would be if I couldn't!

But even a single horse owner that boards their horse ought to have some money in savings for emergencies, not just for euthanasia. Two weeks before Christmas I had an $800 vet bill for treating a suspected tick borne illness - it adds up fast, especially with emergency farm call charges and lab tests, several days of IV antibiotics, etc.

I certainly wouldn't put my horse down for something so minor and treatable, though. Just another example of why horse ownership isn't for everyone. It would be pretty crappy if you couldn't cover something so small as infection or euthanasia. Those aren't even expensive!

7 members found this post helpful.

I don't have $1000 in my bank account, but I have it and more in my retirement savings. So I would have access to that. Heck, I hac access to $4000 for sinus treatment/clinic/shipping, abx, etc. I don't buy new clothes, don't go out to restaurants; I scrimp on other things...
    I am not sure how much euthanasia costs really, but I know the rendering co. charges $175. Then, depending on the season, I know I could use the compost pile at the barn!
    But, there is NO WAY any horse of mine would end up at an auction.

1 members found this post helpful.

Why the hate towards the OP? It's a valid question asked on a horse forum. Is everyone pissy because she actually listed a monetary number?? Dear lord...

I could do it, it's in the savings, but in all actuality I'd use the cc so the cash is there for things that don't accept cc.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Ok... since you really can't break free from the euthanasia...

you tripped and need a brace for your tailbone...

The clouds keep obstructing your sunlight for the grass and you need a cloud pusher.
    You are coming across (to me) as incredibly rude.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

13 members found this post helpful.

One has to realize that OP's pro slaughter group consistently claims that euthanasia and rendering will cost between $ 500 and $ 1,000.
    One of their arguing points for the need to re-establish slaughter plants in this country.

OP may have shot herself in the foot with this one.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

6 members found this post helpful.