The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: How much is $1000 to you?

Voters
301. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing much, I have that in petty cash

65 21.59%
  • It's substantial, but I can manage

168 55.81%
  • If we eat Ramen for months, we can wing it

42 13.95%
  • I'd be turned away from the Poor House for being too broke

26 8.64%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Not really sure what your question is? If you are asking about sending a horse to slaughter versus having them PTS, I don't remember the exact amount for the euth for my mare. The total bill for two days of emergency vet calls was $400 and then $100 to have the body picked up and taken care of. So $500 total. I thought that was pretty cheap considering the vet came out twice, tubed her twice, left a tranq and bute with us, and then euthanized her.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

I suspect the OP is trying to justify slaughter for those of us who might be hard pressed to afford a humane euth and disposal. I am curious if anyone on COTH will admit to selling a horse to a KB (I doubt it) or sending a horse on to a low end auction (again, might be a couple of confessors, but not many). I would start a new thread, but I think we've had plenty of slaughter threads in the past few weeks. I'm evolving on the issue after all the recent discussions.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

4 members found this post helpful.

I notice on the poll options, that 3 are basically "$1000 is a lot of money" and one is "$1000 is not a lot of money." Gives some insight into the mindset.

I can't imagine owning a horse if I didn't have even $1000 disposable at any given time. How can you pay $500+ a month for board but not even have that amount sitting around in backup somewhere? There are many things I could spend $1000 on. I wouldn't do it just to do it and go buy a $1000 coffee maker. Doesn't mean that I don't have it, and no, I would not ever need to eat ramen to save such a small sum.

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh good Lord, yes I have the money and no I wont eat ramen. There, happy?
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

2 members found this post helpful.

I would think that almost all horse owners HAVE the money.

As others have said, most horse owners have board and/or mortgage, cars, trucks/trailers, farrier bills, etc. It's hard to imagine many horse owners that don't have emergency vet care in the budget at all.

That said, of those who have the money, there might be some who feel that it isn't *worth* that. Perhaps they'd be willing to spend that much on a vet bill for an injury a horse would recover from, or on a car/home repair, or even on a TV, but feel that if the objective can be achieved without spending the money, they won't.

I have no idea what this thread is about.

6 members found this post helpful.

What's not being said, is that if anyone owns a horse, that horse could get a catastrophic injury or colic at any time and need euth/disposal. So trying to say that slaughter is needed for those poor people, is actually condoning owning a horse that could be in danger of suffering tremendously, if the horse ever colics or breaks a leg. In those cases, you cannot ship to slaughter, and must pay for euth/disposal. So the funds must be available regardless of your stance on slaughter.

So when is the OP going to let us know what her self proclaimed trolling is about?

3 members found this post helpful.

I HAD the money... well not all of it. A large portion of it was my tuition money and now I'm scrambling trying to figure out finances.

My horse went through a series of freak accidents/injuries and I spent over 3k in 60 days on vet costs and diagnostics. He has now sustained another injury through a paddock accident and we are unsure if he will be sound for riding again.

I truly can't afford to pay to keep him in a stall to rehab for months, nor can I now afford to treat the additional injuries he sustained. How do I pay for a horse who may never even BE ridable at 6 years old? I'm not even sure how I will be paying my own bills, let alone his. This has been an exhausting situation and has left me brokenhearted and bitter. I'm trying to rehome as a companion horse, but realistically who wants a lame horse and it's bills?

Sorry to hijack OP, but this is a bit of a hot topic for me right now and I'm hoping to find a good home for him...but as a potentially permanent lawn ornament at such a young age, I'm not blind to what his future could hold.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I suspect the OP is trying to justify slaughter for those of us who might be hard pressed to afford a humane euth and disposal. I am curious if anyone on COTH will admit to selling a horse to a KB (I doubt it) or sending a horse on to a low end auction (again, might be a couple of confessors, but not many). I would start a new thread, but I think we've had plenty of slaughter threads in the past few weeks. I'm evolving on the issue after all the recent discussions.
    Honestly, I rode with a trainer whose boyfriend was a dealer. They would go to low end auctions and pick up 5 or 6 one weekend, and try to have them flipped to trail/pleasure homes in a week or two. I would help ride the list of new arrivals and get them ready to show to buyers. If one of the horses was obviously not going to work out temperamentally or had too many issues, it went back to the auction on the next truck. A small number of those were eventually purchased by kill buyers (including one that broke the boyfriend's arm.)

While it would be nice if every cranky, hot-tempered and/or unsound grade horse with no resume or skills could have a pasture in which it could live out the rest of its days, and while MY horses that have served me well for years would NEVER face that fate, I honestly did not feel too bad about it. The way I saw it, the horses came out of a low-end auction and got a chance. If for some reason they didn't work out, they went back into the same situation they were in three weeks ago.

We got a lot more ships turned around in a good direction though, than ones we ever sent back.

Perhaps I reserve this logic for horses that were purchased at low-end auctions. Then going back to the auction is a return to the status quo. For any horse coming out of a pleasure home or riding program, an auction is usually a significant down grade.

So perhaps I am ok with it when the purchased-and-now-being-sent-back horse had nowhere to go but up.

Meupatdoes, you're absolutely right. I know several people who used to do exactly that...go looking for prospects, the ones that didn't work out went back. I don't know if they continue to buy and return, I know one of them had her name blasted all over rip-off report for returning horses to the auction and it did affect her bottom line.

The question might be, how did the horses get there to begin with?

As far as the low end auctions, the screaming "going to slaughter", well as long as there is slaughter, the truck won't go empty. So unless you really, really like the horse you buy from that broker/rescue, you're only saving that horse...another will take its place. That's if it's actually true that the horses are at risk to be hauled to slaughter to begin with. Again, that's a topic for another thread.

Meupat and LauraKY, I see your point, but the idea of allowing a slaughter industry to take hold makes me very worried. The horse slaughter industry will require plants, trucks, employees, a whole capital investment. That industry is not ever going to say "oh good, your overpopulation problem is solved, we can close down now". To the contrary, their interest is going to be profit and more profit. More unwanted horses, not fewer, is good for them.

It is going to be a big business. They are going to have horse owners who breed and raise the horses for their own pleasure, then the slaughter business gets the horses cheaply. That is why the cattle industry is pushing so hard for for horse slaughter. A whole new line of business for them. In my opinion, they are using well intentioned pro-slaughter individuals as pawns.

My solution? Legitimize non-profit euthanization. Any money I would send to a rescue, I would just as easily send to a non profit for end of life handling. And also, educational and cultural pressure against breeding horses and owning them if you can't afford them.
    friend of bar.ka

TotheNines, I'm afraid I wasn't clear about my position on slaughter. I said in a previous post that I've been "evolving" on the slaughter issue. I've come to the realization that I see no legitimate reason for slaughter. But, again, that's a discussion for another thread. One that will, of course, be completely derailed by the usual pro-slaughter suspects to the point that most people with an opinion or those who might still be in the process of forming or changing their opinion will be scared away.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
    My solution? Legitimize non-profit euthanization. Any money I would send to a rescue, I would just as easily send to a non profit for end of life handling. And also, educational and cultural pressure against breeding horses and owning them if you can't afford them.
    It already is perfectly legitimate.
    Low cost euths already exist as a charity option, and I'm all for it.

I would also support a rescue that goes to auctions and pulls to euth.

The rescues I don't support are the ones who spend thousands of dollars on 27 year old hail marys that are a 1 on the Henneke scale while rehomable horses go down the pike.

Thankfully I 'had' the money.... Just gave it to the vet today, grrrrr. Dang inconclusive lameness issues.....

Quote Originally Posted by HorseKrazy View Post
    Thankfully I 'had' the money.... Just gave it to the vet today, grrrrr. Dang inconclusive lameness issues.....
    Awww, sorry to hear that. Been there and done that and was just as frustrated as you sound right now. I wish for the best for you and your beastie's future soundness.
    Annabelle Mayr, Arcadia Farm
    Home of Fitz, Max, Daeo & Austria
    Now over the Rainbow Bridge: Finn, Jake & Seamus

my question is, why would anyone answer such a personal question on a BB?

I mean really, is it the business of anyone except me, my bank and the care provider?

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    I can't imagine owning a horse if I didn't have even $1000 disposable at any given time. How can you pay $500+ a month for board but not even have that amount sitting around in backup somewhere?
    This also shows a certain mindset... because not all people who own horses pay $500 a month board.

Yes, I have $1,000.00 to spend on a euth(hope I don't need to), and the 2 that I have had to put down cost me a LOT more than 1k, after all the vet fees to try and fix them BEFORE it came to having to euth them. Heck, one of our dogs cut her toe badly last summer and that little bo bo cost well over a grand,too. I put money aside each pay into a tax free savings account. It's built up quite nicely, and oh how I would love a new custom jumping saddle, but nope, that money is for vet emergencies.
    I also have a honkin' huge line of credit to fall back on, and the means to pay it back if a sh*t blizzard hits, in regards to the animals. I also have a fantastic vet, who would carry me for as long as it takes to pay him back, a feed store that would front me supplies if needed, and a hay guy that would do the same. I cover my bases, I pay on time all the time. I just came back from a week long vacation, and I told my daughter, and the BO where we have one horse boarded, not to worry, vet has my credit card number so if an emergency hits, do NOT hesitate to call them.
    There is my financial picture, OP, hope you enjoy, Sorry I'm not as hard done by as you.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

Quote Originally Posted by Plainandtall View Post
    This also shows a certain mindset... because not all people who own horses pay $500 a month board.
    That's very true. However, even if you are OK with sending a horse to a low end action or selling it to a kill buyer, they must be able to load on the truck or walk through the auction on their own steam. So, regardless, you still have to be able to scrounge the money together to PTS and dispose of the body for a bad colic or a broken leg or any serious illness or injury that you either can't treat or can't afford to treat.