The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: How much is $1000 to you?

Voters
301. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing much, I have that in petty cash

65 21.59%
  • It's substantial, but I can manage

168 55.81%
  • If we eat Ramen for months, we can wing it

42 13.95%
  • I'd be turned away from the Poor House for being too broke

26 8.64%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    Why on earth is it any of your business? Especially considering, as many have previously stated, that it (typically) costs no where near that to euthanize a horse?
    A) I did not ask about euthanasia
    B) you don't have to answer the question if you do not like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    A) I did not ask about euthanasia
    B) you don't have to answer the question if you do not like it.
    Let me refresh your memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl
    How much money is hat to you?

No, I am not asking for donations or handouts.
    But I am wondering.

The ongoing asinine 'discussion' on slaughter, how 'evil' people are to let a horse go for a few bucks, knowing that they will go 'down the pipeline'

So I am wondering, who of the COTH people can actually afford to just eat 1000 bucks (admittedly on the higher end of disposal) without tearing a major hole into the budget? and CCs don't count, imagine they don't exist.
    Yes you did.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Let me refresh your memory.

Yes you did.
    No, I did not.
    I did say that the discussion prompted me to ask the question. But for some people able to read for context and comprehension it was clear, and after several times I pointed out I was assuming everybody should have understood that it was more of a general question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Well, I just stumbled onto this thread, but I'll play. I always try to have at least 10K on hand in my savings account. I know exactly how lucky I am to be able to do this. I work hard. My house is paid for. (Our vehicles are not, but that's another story). My horse has major medical coverage, my 5 cats do not. I personally am paying for half of my husband's daughter's college tuition and books. I'm very lucky to have a good job, Twenty years ago I went into $50K of debt to pay for law school.

a $1,000.00 expense for my horse is a no-brainer for me. Again, I know I am extremely lucky to be in the position I am in, but I also worked my dam ass off to get here.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I am like oliverreed, but even when I wasn't well off, my horses came first.

If you don't have a fund for emergencies -- of about $5,000 per horse -- or some way to get it (friend, family, credit, etc.), you should not own a horse. If you would sell a horse knowing it will go into a bad situation, you are not a good human being.
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Really, Alagirl just wants to know who on this board has money. Her question was something of a red herring to get you to answer without realizing that she wanted peek in your wallet. .
    I highly doubt that. A couple of years ago the COTH Forums did a poll on the income level of COTH posters. We already know how much posters make. The MAJORITY of them made well over $100,000 a year. Of course, many had excuses about why that wasn't really all that much money. It's a lot of money in my mind, no matter where you live.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I would expect someone to miss a mortgage payment, one utility bill or sit out a semester of community college so that a horse who was suffering would not suffer anymore.

I would not expect them to go hungry for that money or not pay health insurance in a way that got it cancelled.

It seems like basic "Maslow's hierarchy of needs" to me. But this means that you weigh the suffering an animal you own would do versus your own. Also, let's be clear: You *can* figure ways out to catch up on some missed payments. Now if you cannot miss this one last utility bill or you will be cut off for the appreciable future, or you have missed several mortgage payments and this one is a deal-breaker, then you need to ask yourself why you kept a horse during the downward slide to true poverty.

Honestly I would expect someone who KNOWS they would not be able to pay a vet to come out for their horse after their living expenses were paid for to not own a horse in the first place.

It is math.
    Money comes in, and promptly goes out. The mortgage, utilities, insurance, etc are CONSTANT expenses. EVERY month. No need to act surprised.

IN ADDITION TO WHICH, there will be extra car repairs, extra home repairs, and, if you have animals, extra veterinary expenses.

If your "money in" to "money out" ratio is such that you are cleaned out all the time after paragraph 1, so you would be crippled by the onset of the inevitable expenses in paragraph 2, don't get a living animal.

4 members found this post helpful.

When It comes to putting a horse down, or for that matter, a vet bill, a 1000.00 is nothing to me. I am a poor lady, who only has me for support. Its not the question of the money, its the question of responsibility. OP, in my mind there is no out with slaughter, for myself. I take my responsibilities very seriously. I do not condemn other people, who do not have my beliefs. If I take on the responsibility of a horse, or cat or dog, than I have to do my best to live up to that ownership. I sold my house because of vet bills. I made a commitment to the horse, no one else. Its all about the morality of the situation, money does not come in to it. If you believe in slaughter than that is your right, and you are no better or no worse than myself. I have to do what I think is right, a decision that I can live with and not have nightmares about.
    www.tayvalleyfarm.com
    My other home.

Exactly, meupatdoes. It's not like horse or pet veterinary expenses, house and car repairs, etc. are SHOCKING SURPRISES in life you could not possibly have anticipated. I can't recall the last month I did not end up spending on something I did not know I would need as of the first day of the month -- this winter it has been my home heating system motor going out twice, dishwasher rusting out, a random rock on the highway cracking my windshield, my well pump going out...the list goes on. It's called "life."
    Last edited by fordtraktor; Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:35 PM.

6 members found this post helpful.

I hear ya on the well pump. That's on oh moment.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    Exactly, meupatdoes. It's not like horse or pet veterinary expenses, house and car repairs, etc. are SHOCKING SURPRISES in life you could not possibly have anticipated. I can't recall the last month I ended up spending on something I did not know I would need as of the first day of the month -- this winter it has been my home heating system motor going out twice, dishwasher rusting out, a random rock on the highway cracking my windshield, my well pump going out...the list goes on. It's called "life."

Heh. My well pump went out this year, too. I haven't fixed it because I hooked up to city water a couple years ago, but I miss it for the horses, and I think they liked the taste of that nasty sulfurous water better than the city water. But I can buy a lot of city water for the cost of a new pump.

This summer I replaced my 15 year old station wagon with a 6 year old SUV, and paid cash for the SUV. My house will get a new roof this year - cash for that, too. I don't make a lot of money, but I save ferociously.

StG

No, I did not.
    I did say that the discussion prompted me to ask the question. But for some people able to read for context and comprehension it was clear, and after several times I pointed out I was assuming everybody should have understood that it was more of a general question.
    When multiple people read things the wrong way, it's usually because the person asking was NOT clear, not because everyone is clueless.

Anyway, you admitted on your other poll thread that you're trolling people, so I'm not sure why you'd expect serious, considered responses to your fuzzy questions. You troll, people troll back. That's COTH.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Yes, I have access to money for vet bills, euth, etc. If I didn't have a substantial savings built up I wouldn't own one.

Owning a pet is a luxury. If you decide to own one, you should have money for vet bills or at the least, euth and disposal.

And if you own a horse, presumably you pay for it's care (board, feed, foot care, teeth care, shots, vet care). If the horse needs to be euthed/disposed of the amount of money it costs is probably at or less than a month of two of care if it were alive. So there IS money available in most cases.
    ^ This and this, again. Pets - especially horses, whether you want to call them a pet, or not - are an upside down venture to begin with. If you can't afford to be a responsible owner, then please - for the sake of the animal - don't sign up to be an owner.

To answer the original question - we consider handling "the end" as a part of the big picture, so, yes, we are set up to handle it. But I agree with everyone who said $1000 is high. My last one - with some prior-to-the-pink-juice-injection vet services was still less than $500. So bless my lucky stars, too, I guess.

3 members found this post helpful.

It's not rocket science-- if you're concerned, then each time you buy/ acquire/ breed a horse, put $500 in a savings account for a last ditch safety net. If you can't afford to do that, you can't afford the horse.

neither was the the question at hand:
    how does shelling out 1000 dollars affect your budget?
    Did you really think people were going to come to this thread and say they don't even have $500 - $1,000 in their budget? On this forum?!

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    Now if they had cat slaughter perhaps I could have squeezed 5 bucks out of him being a renewable resource.
    PRICELESS!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Did you really think people were going to come to this thread and say they don't even have $500 - $1,000 in their budget? On this forum?!
    But even the anonymous poll results suggest that the vast majority can come up with this money, which is certainly not a surprise on a forum that includes competitive riders.

And it also didn't take into account whether or not a person is a horse owner. It's possible that some of the "no" responses are non-horse owners (like the OP herself), so it's sort of irrelevant to the discussion of a horse emergency fund, although I suppose lots of people keep savings for other emergency expenditures.

A better poll might be to ask horse owners how much they budget annually (per horse) for emergencies and/or euthanasia.

Unless the OP is just looking to flush some other information out of the COTH readers...

I have a healthy amount in horse-specific savings and made sure I had that before i bought my horse, so I do have well over an extra 1000 dollars laying around if my horse needs something. 10k is my "comfortable amount," in addition to having major medical and mortality and liability insurance. I am very risk-averse and would not be willing to own a horse if I didn't have a hefty safety net. I do not consider myself wealthy, I just consider myself risk-averse.

HOWEVER, 1000 is still A LOT of money and I feel disrespecful to imply otherwise.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post
    ^ This and this, again. Pets - especially horses, whether you want to call them a pet, or not - are an upside down venture to begin with. If you can't afford to be a responsible owner, then please - for the sake of the animal - don't sign up to be an owner.
    I agree, but considering the financial crisis many have suddenly found themselves in lately, I refuse to make judgements about people when I don't know their circumstances. For all I know they are out of work and have been trying to place that horse for years.

I don't judge anyone who may have to look at that last bit in the emergency fund and decide for themselves whether to put the horse down or save that $$ for next month's food for the kids.

And placing a horse (especially, god forbid, an imperfect one) isn't easy anymore, as evidenced by the giveaways sections, the "haul him away" ads on Craigslist, and even here on COTH, the "I'm soon to be homeless and can't find anyone to take my horses and I've been trying for a year" threads.

Easy to judge when you're not in their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post

This is why she's getting the reaction she's been getting. And I do think it might be relevant to know if someone owns a horse or has ever owned a horse in a discussion of how you would dispose of your horse...by auction, KB or euth. I imagine I might feel differently if I never had and/or don't own a horse. Just my $.02.
    Well there are some interesting ideas here.

1) The anonymity allowed on COTH means that no. Nobody has to provide any proof of anything to anyone.

2) As an industry, in a world where MOST people do NOT own, ride, or interact with horses, we do, in fact, have to find a way to defend/justify what we do with horses. Case in point, the carriage folks in NYC. Hunt saboteurs in the UK.

But aside from those specific examples is a larger culture that increasingly views anyone who uses an animal for anything other than a household pet (or a McNugget ingredient) to be the same as a baby seal clubber. The horse industry is, in fact, in the position of having to justify what we do with horses to anybody and everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    Well there are some interesting ideas here.

1) The anonymity allowed on COTH means that no. Nobody has to provide any proof of anything to anyone.

2) As an industry, in a world where MOST people do NOT own, ride, or interact with horses, we do, in fact, have to find a way to defend/justify what we do with horses. Case in point, the carriage folks in NYC. Hunt saboteurs in the UK.

But aside from those specific examples is a larger culture that increasingly views anyone who uses an animal for anything other than a household pet (or a McNugget ingredient) to be the same as a baby seal clubber. The horse industry is, in fact, in the position of having to justify what we do with horses to anybody and everybody.
    Do you know why? Because of media sensationalism, and that includes YouTube. Even folks like our very nice Mike Matson, here on COTH are guilty. For some reason, every single adverse happening, every accident, every distressing act of man or nature has to be brought to everyone's attention--whether there is any POINT to that or not.

You've all heard the expression, "If it bleeds, it leads." Happy, well-cared-for horses being ridden or driven under intelligently reasonable conditions, by qualified and successful handlers don't make "News," otherwise known as sifting the planet for misfortunes to vicariously shock. All it takes is a little editorial "spin" on someone's unfortuante pratfall and you have the "baby seal clubber" scenario you describe.

Somewhere on Madison Avenue they figured out that people with high cortisol levels will eat more junk food and max more credit cards. Even COTH itself, the magazine that is, is guilty of this! The "headlines" that keep popping up on the right side of my screen are 75% falls and injuries. Wanna bet the hidden goal is boosting sales of helmets, insurance, and the rest? Lift up rocks, people! There is ALWAYS a dollar bill taped to the bottom side!