The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: How much is $1000 to you?

Voters
301. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing much, I have that in petty cash

65 21.59%
  • It's substantial, but I can manage

168 55.81%
  • If we eat Ramen for months, we can wing it

42 13.95%
  • I'd be turned away from the Poor House for being too broke

26 8.64%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

I'm not understanding why people are making up assumptions about the OP, and attempting to foment a pile-on. The questions she asks are certainly very valid and these threads a great place to see where your planning might stack up in the continuum of horse owners.

The personal sh*t does nothing to further the discussion. Plus, it's boring as hell and gets excellent threads closed.

4 members found this post helpful.

Lady Eboshi, here's the OP's OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl
    How much money is hat to you?

No, I am not asking for donations or handouts.
    But I am wondering.

The ongoing asinine 'discussion' on slaughter, how 'evil' people are to let a horse go for a few bucks, knowing that they will go 'down the pipeline'

So I am wondering, who of the COTH people can actually afford to just eat 1000 bucks (admittedly on the higher end of disposal) without tearing a major hole into the budget? and CCs don't count, imagine they don't exist.

I know I can't although I am not implying I am selling my imaginary ponies down the road.....
    She's been posting like mad on the pro-slaughter threads and is trying to find out how many of us have the money for a euth and disposal. She tried to change the question in midstream, but the original question was:

"The ongoing asinine 'discussion' on slaughter, how 'evil' people are to let a horse go for a few bucks, knowing that they will go 'down the pipeline' So I am wondering, who of the COTH people can actually afford to just eat 1000 bucks (admittedly on the higher end of disposal) without tearing a major hole into the budget? and CCs don't count, imagine they don't exist."

This is why she's getting the reaction she's been getting. And I do think it might be relevant to know if someone owns a horse or has ever owned a horse in a discussion of how you would dispose of your horse...by auction, KB or euth. I imagine I might feel differently if I never had and/or don't own a horse. Just my $.02.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    But the question still is: Can you just spend 1000 dollars?
    Can you wing it by planning ahead (savings)
    can you just do it on a whim (some people are that fortunate)
    or do you have to economize long term
    or are you going to end up under a bridge doing so?
    DH and I do not have children. We live comfortably but well within our means as he has a very good job. We do however, belong to 7 animals (3 dogs, 3 cats, 1 horse). Would we spend $1K on something frivolous - most likely not (although I guess we could if we choose to). Would we spend $1K (or $5K, or more) on any of our pets - absoultely! And we have. Several times over. So I guess to answer your question, $1K would not be a very big hit.
    Last edited by 3DogNight; Mar. 10, 2013 at 08:37 PM. Reason: To clarify response
    ~*Friend of bar.ka*~

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    While I know everyone can fall on hard times - if you are a horse owner and can't cover euthanasia and disposal, you really should reconsider horse ownership. Horse ownership is entirely elective, as opposed to things like mortgages, food, heat and lights...
    I agree.

Yes, with 6 horses and a farm I agree with the other poster saying you'd better have that plus more on reserve! I wouldn't say $1000 is a drop in the bucket, but well within reason monthly for an unexpected bill. And it usually goes like that.
    Last edited by Acertainsmile; Mar. 11, 2013 at 11:19 AM.

6 members found this post helpful.

I have been horseless for a few years now, but I have made some major adjustments in how I view any future ownership. One of the major changes is that I want to build a "nest egg" for my future horse to be used solely for their care in case of an emergency. I will be including the cost of euthanasia and disposal in this account. I refuse to ever make decisions with my CC again, and I will not purchase a horse until I believe I have both the finances AND the time to devote. I realize we cannot plan for everything, but I do believe in being prepared.

I've also learned to NOT be the owner of high-strung, ultra-sensitive horses because they can be VERY hard to place if the need were to arise. My next horse will be sane and forgiving. My next horse will not frighten small children or other horses. My next horse will grow old with me and if I fall on hard times, I will make the safest choice I can for his or her sake. I hope it will not have to be euthanasia, but I want to be prepared if that is the best and safest choice at that time.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Z
    Personally, if I didn't have the money or means to euth a horse, I wouldn't have one.
    I agree with this. The money to euth a horse is the same money as calling the vet out when he cuts his leg on his stall door (which ran me $800 last year, thanks Alph). If coming up with $500-1,000 for occasional emergencies is really going to cramp your lifestyle, then probably it would be best to not have an animal dependent on you that it is not a question of if but rather when, how soon, and how often will it decide to rack up a $500-1,000 bill out of the blue.

Jesus, none of the farriers could keep a right front shoe on the one horse last year so finally I drove him 4 hours one way to Cornell and had glue ons put on for $350 plus the gas there and back. Or the other one outgrew his saddle so there went $950 to make up the difference between trade in-value on the old one and having a new one built. Or the trainer says "Buy a double bridle" so there goes $400 whoooooosh, and we still haven't finalized the bit$ yet. Or I get a phone call sitting ring side at WEF, apparently the vet has his arm up my horse back in Buffalo and wants to know "So, is the Cornell option on the table for this guy? Just wondering." Next month the equine liability policy people will want $200, and the boys will want their teeth and shots for roughtly $400 together.

On months when the horses have exhausted their capabilities usually the car pipes up and wants tires or a coolant pump or a "front air suspension relief valve" which was the latest.

A euth fee (which would really be more like $300-500) is built into my budget as a recurring "What is the eff horse up to now?" plan. If there is a month where I don't have a random several hundred dollar bill for horse/car/house I consider it a windfall.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    If there is a month where I don't have a random several hundred dollar bill for horse/car/house I consider it a windfall.
    Aaaaamen! I have two homes, two horses, two cats, one dog, and monthly expenses that I wish were in the neighborhood of $1000. Without anything out of the ordinary.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

1 members found this post helpful.

Having access to....like borrowing from mom?

No, Love, the question is: How deep a hole do an extra 1k rip into your wallet.
    The asinine merry-go-round musical chair discussions of slaughter might have inspired my question, but it certainly not at the heart of it.

So are you economizing or making Ramen?
    Not hardly from my mom. I was raised with parents that felt that when you turned 18 you needed to be self sufficient, including paying for college. I've got enough in cking/savings and stocks to live for 2 yrs the same as now, 3 if I economized. Plus enough in avail credit on credit cards to buy a luxury car if I ever wanted to needlessly blow money. Plus own another 10 properties that each are rented out and making a decent profit or could be tapped into for equity if needed.

I worked 6 days a week, about 12 hrs a day for 12 yrs to be financially secure, not including what I do now. But I didn't buy a horse until I had a yrs worth of savings to live on if I needed to. I don't eat Ramen unless I want a quick meal. But I also am not extravagant. I do my own nails, and own hair coloring and very rarely shop for clothes. I donate the equivelant of 2 months board towards food/vet care for needy animals each month.

I would have loved to own a horse before then, but think that being financially secure, and having health insurance is a necessity before luxury items.

But your sarcastic response is duly noted. I particularly enjoyed you chiding another COTHer on your other thread for giving you a sarcastic response. Pot meet kettle?
    Last edited by jetsmom; Mar. 11, 2013 at 03:31 AM.

9 members found this post helpful.

I'm somewhere between petty cash and substantial. I could write several $1000 checks and they'd clear, but I don't spend that kind of money without a good deal of forethought. Which is why I have enough in the bank to write those checks.

As for euth/disposal, I don't know how much my vet would charge for euthanasia, but I'm sure not much; and the rendering people will pick up for free. Whatever the cost, I'd make it work before betraying my horses' trust in me.

StG

Slaughter/euth question aside... if I didn't have $1k available to me in cash, I would a) be panicking until I became more financially stable (been there, it happens), and most importantly, b) definitely not be owning a horse. A sudden injury can run WAY more than that, not to mention life's other surprises (car repairs, emergency medial bills, etc.) Heck, that's not even a month of rent for me, much less enough to cover my other living expenses should I lose my income tomorrow.
    If the pony spits venom in your face or produces a loud roar, it is probably not a pony. Find another. -The Oatmeal

Quote Originally Posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
    It's a substanttial amount, but we have more than that in an emergency fund (thanks, Dave Ramsey!) for such situations.

However, I won't judge someone else who doesn't have enough; many Americans (including horse owners) are living paycheck-to-paycheck, with little to no safety net. And many of those weren't in that dire a situation a few years ago, and didn't overextend themselves.

For the average American (obviously differs due to locality) $1,000 can mean:

A mortgage payment (possibly including taxes & insurance)
    Rent for at least a month
    Groceries for a month or more
    A semester's worth of community college classes
    Health insurance
    Keeping the lights and heat on in a winter month

Which of those do we expect a family to give up to afford an emergency?

.....let's face it, we are blessed to be able to afford horses, lessons, etc. however we do it.
    I would expect someone to miss a mortgage payment, one utility bill or sit out a semester of community college so that a horse who was suffering would not suffer anymore.

I would not expect them to go hungry for that money or not pay health insurance in a way that got it cancelled.

It seems like basic "Maslow's hierarchy of needs" to me. But this means that you weigh the suffering an animal you own would do versus your own. Also, let's be clear: You *can* figure ways out to catch up on some missed payments. Now if you cannot miss this one last utility bill or you will be cut off for the appreciable future, or you have missed several mortgage payments and this one is a deal-breaker, then you need to ask yourself why you kept a horse during the downward slide to true poverty.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

If I couldn't give my animals a peaceful/painless passing, I wouldn't own them. And, as others have said, bullets are pretty cheap and far preferable to being sent to a slaughterhouse.

I am VERY lucky that my vet allows bills to be paid over time, with a small percentage fee (I think somewhere around 2%) added on, so as long as you are paying *something* every month, you are fine. That really helped when my last horse had a massive colic and I ended up with a bill somewhere just south of $2,000 (that included several after-hours emergency calls, multiple blood tests, IV fluids, etc., plus removing my horse's body after he passed away).

With the price of board what it is, euthanizing a boarded horse is a real money saver! Gee, I should propose this financial boon to Alagirl.

Wait. She doesn't own a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by apcohrs View Post
    With the price of board what it is, euthanizing a boarded horse is a real money saver! Gee, I should propose this financial boon to Alagirl.

Wait. She doesn't own a horse.

neither was the the question at hand:
    how does shelling out 1000 dollars affect your budget?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

how does shelling out 1000 dollars affect your budget?
    Not too badly. Just finished paying our first tax installment bill $415 and oil heat $630 at the beginning of March. These aren't surprise bills but I don't actually set aside $x per month in anticipation of paying them; I just put less into savings this month.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

But the question still is: Can you just spend 1000 dollars?
    Can you wing it by planning ahead (savings)
    can you just do it on a whim (some people are that fortunate)
    or do you have to economize long term
    or are you going to end up under a bridge doing so?
    Why on earth is it any of your business? Especially considering, as many have previously stated, that it (typically) costs no where near that to euthanize a horse?
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    In some other cultures its not considered macho to neuter your male animals.
    My neighbor, unfortunately, seems to live in this culture.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

I keep an emergency fund available for farrier/vet and haul away if needed. Its in a seperate account and never gets touched unless it is a horsey emergency.

The renderer here can no longer put down a horse (SPCA rules) so the vet is $245 with travel fees included and then the renderer charges $250 for haul away or I can get a backhoe for $175.

I have been checking fees because we have an old mare who I am hoping has a terrific summer and we plan to put her down before next winter, this one was really hard on her but her appetite is great, eyes bright but her legs are giving out.

How much money is that to you?
    ...The ongoing asinine 'discussion' on slaughter, how 'evil' people are to let a horse go for a few bucks, knowing that they will go 'down the pipeline'

So I am wondering, who of the COTH people can actually afford to just eat 1000 bucks (admittedly on the higher end of disposal) without tearing a major hole into the budget? I could"get" that money without using a credit card and CCs don't count, imagine they don't exist.

I also don't "attack" people who sell their horse to the meat dealers or the bidder with the most cash.
    Sandy in Fla.