The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: How much is $1000 to you?

Voters
301. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing much, I have that in petty cash

65 21.59%
  • It's substantial, but I can manage

168 55.81%
  • If we eat Ramen for months, we can wing it

42 13.95%
  • I'd be turned away from the Poor House for being too broke

26 8.64%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I am at the stage of my life where I am taking out of savings rather than putting in to savings (retirement) so, yes I have that amount.

It just lessens the total amount I have to live on for the next perhaps 30 years. So I am saving the last $1,000 for my own euthanasia.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    No. The OP is asking if people really have that extra money laying around.
    Oh, I wasn't quite sure what the context was for this question. So the answer is, yes I do. I am in a position to live below my means which means I have cash available for such things as, say, a stay at the vet school for a horse with a colic being medically managed, payment of board and expenses for a retiree, and, yes, ultimately euthanasia. $1,000 is a lot of money, but it's well within my means if you're talking about a one time occurence.
    Only one cat - must not be totally crazy yet!

Quote Originally Posted by evenstar View Post
    Oh, I wasn't quite sure what the context was for this question. So the answer is, yes I do. I am in a position to live below my means which means I have cash available for such things as, say, a stay at the vet school for a horse with a colic being medically managed, payment of board and expenses for a retiree, and, yes, ultimately euthanasia. $1,000 is a lot of money, but it's well within my means if you're talking about a one time occurence.
    Yes, thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

The price quoted for euthanasia is very high. I have had three horses die at my farm two suddenly and one was put down. The neighbor with the backhoe was sympathic and kind, and charged $200 or so each time. The vet was sympathic and kind also, and it was also $200 or so. So $400. If you can't afford that medical bill, you certainly can't afford vet bills for an ongoing issue and unless you are a rescue and concerned with just keeping them fed or have 501(c)(3) status to accept donations, you probably should not be a horse owner. Horses are not the animal to have if you "can afford it except for medical bills".
    friend of bar.ka

Quote Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
    The price quoted for euthanasia is very high. I have had three horses die at my farm two suddenly and one was put down. The neighbor with the backhoe was sympathic and kind, and charged $200 or so each time. The vet was sympathic and kind also, and it was also $200 or so. So $400. If you can't afford that, you certainly can't afford vet bills for an ongoing issue and unless you are a rescue and concerned with just keeping them fed or have 501(c)(3) status to accept donations, you probably should not be a horse owner.
    How much is one thousand dollars to you.
    Not whether or not the services in your area are cheap/expensive
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Ummm, alagirl, how about none of your business? As a horse owner, I will tell you that $1000 for medical related expenses is a cost that I would certainly figure into the annual cost of owning a horse.
    friend of bar.ka

12 members found this post helpful.

Would that the cost of euth was the relevant one! IME, it's not the cost of euth/burial (I agree, under $500), it's the costs leading up to it that matter. The last 3 horses I have euthed, costs for their final days were somewhere between $2,500 and $7,500 for the other vet expenses. Horses don't typically just suddenly need euthed, they usually have some sort of expensive veterinary problem from which it eventually becomes clear euth is the best option.

The slaughter debate has nothing to do with my horses. By the time they've been euthed they are invariably so full of drugs from those treatments it would be criminal to serve them to Fido.

5 members found this post helpful.

Ummm, alagirl, how about none of your business? As a horse owner, I will tell you that $1000 for medical related expenses is a cost that I would certainly figure into the annual cost of owning a horse.
    Then why do you post in a thread that asks this question?
    It's not like I am asking for your tax return!

1 members found this post helpful.

What people "who say they can't afford euth?" I have never ever heard of anyone claiming that. The horror stories I hear about starving horses have much more to do with callousness and stupidity than poverty. That last $500 or so they spent on feed could have been spent on euth if they had the intelligence/decency or whatever other mentality would have let them come to that decision.

There used to be a kill buyer auction place within 20 minutes of where I live. I guess it is still an auction place but they go to Mexico, not sure anymore. Still plenty of asshats who should not have horses in the area.
    friend of bar.ka

6 members found this post helpful.

What people "who say they can't afford euth?" I have never ever heard of anyone claiming that. The horror stories I hear about starving horses have much more to do with callousness and stupidity than poverty. That last $500 or so they spent on feed could have been spent on euth if they had the intelligence/decency or whatever other mentality would have let them come to that decision.

There used to be a kill buyer auction place within 20 minutes of where I live. I guess it is still an auction place but they go to Mexico, not sure anymore. Still plenty of asshats who should not have horses in the area.
    well, that was not the question, was it!

The question was whether or not you got 1k laying around in your ashtrays or if it puts you in the poor house should you have to pay it.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I had to put down two this year...$95 to euth and $175 to remove the body. No matter what happens, I make sure I have enough money to at least put them down if I have to. If for some reason, I lost everything, a bullet is almost free and I can dig a hole.

ETA: Before I would send one of my horses to a low end auction or into the slaughter pipeline, I would absolutely shoot them myself. There are worse things than death.
    ^THIS.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ldaziens View Post
    ^THIS.
    No

The only person I have ever known who would take a lame horse to an auction is not going to be hanging out on COTH. I doubt he has Internet. Or a computer. Or electricity. Or the ability to read.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MandyVA View Post
    The only person I have ever known who would take a lame horse to an auction is not going to be hanging out on COTH. I doubt he has Internet. Or a computer. Or electricity. Or the ability to read.
    But could he spend 1k at the drop of a hat?

Really, Alagirl just wants to know who on this board has money. Her question was something of a red herring to get you to answer without realizing that she wanted peek in your wallet. To me, I wouldn't own a horse if I couldn't put my hands on the $$$ for colic surgery within days, as to me, the ability to pay for such is part of responsible horse ownership. Now, I wouldn't put my 25 year old through colic surgery-I'd let him go, knowing how difficult the recovery is on any horse. I also have savings to run my household for several months, if DH was hit by a bus and I couldn't access any $$ in his accounts quickly. To me, that's what I need to feel comfortable. Sorry for the lack of paragraphs. Apparently Windows 8 and this BB can't agree that they are necessary.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Really, Alagirl just wants to know who on this board has money. Her question was something of a red herring to get you to answer without realizing that she wanted peek in your wallet. To me, I wouldn't own a horse if I couldn't put my hands on the $$$ for colic surgery within days, as to me, the ability to pay for such is part of responsible horse ownership. Now, I wouldn't put my 25 year old through colic surgery-I'd let him go, knowing how difficult the recovery is on any horse. I also have savings to run my household for several months, if DH was hit by a bus and I couldn't access any $$ in his accounts quickly. To me, that's what I need to feel comfortable. Sorry for the lack of paragraphs. Apparently Windows 8 and this BB can't agree that they are necessary.

Oh well, you are close and yet a bit off.

it is really a simple answer: yes, I can spend it, no I can't, with a couple of variations in the middle.

So your option would be you would have to economize to a degree.

Now, was this so heard?

Yes, I am trying to get a gauge on the financial means.
    There are a lot of people who talk a good game but I suspect when the rubber meets the road they have a lot less to offer past their big words.

but this was really not about colic surgery, heaven forbit one should need it (and 1k won't cover that, will it?) but really basic yeah, I do, no I don't have substantial discretionary funds.

Quote Originally Posted by MandyVA View Post
    I agree; and I also think that COTH is far less likely to have people who truly *can't* afford to euthanize their horses rather than take them to an auction, than perhaps boards like Homesteading or Rural Heritage. If people can afford to maintain a horse to show, they have $1K in the bank. I would be surprised if *most* of the horse owners didn't have this kind of money in savings (horse owners - not just people who are reading this - so the poll results may not be accurate)

I could euthanize mine all tomorrow for far less than it costs to keep them. And I often have to justify to my dh why I don't.

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh well, you are close and yet a bit off.

it is really a simple answer: yes, I can spend it, no I can't, with a couple of variations in the middle.

So your option would be you would have to economize to a degree.

Now, was this so heard?

Yes, I am trying to get a gauge on the financial means.
    There are a lot of people who talk a good game but I suspect when the rubber meets the road they have a lot less to offer past their big words.

but this was really not about colic surgery, heaven forbit one should need it (and 1k won't cover that, will it?) but really basic yeah, I do, no I don't have substantial discretionary funds.
    Well then, I have an easy solution for you. Don't buy a horse, because if you can't afford $1K in emergency expenses, you really shouldn't have one. Crap happens. If you can't afford vet bills, you shouldn't have pets or horses.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

12 members found this post helpful.

But could he spend 1k at the drop of a hat?
    My impression is he could. He owned trucks and machinery and was paid for farm work, and he had no credit to buy those things. Never had a job on the books or a bank account. So clearly dealt in cash. But he definitely didn't give a shit about the poor mare that he rode too hard without any conditioning and then just didn't want any more when she was lame. He did in fact dump her and knew full well where she was going. Did not care.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

We pay 250. here for euth and disposal. Pasture board is about 235. so basically one month's board. Stall board starts at around 325.