The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: How much is $1000 to you?

Voters
301. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing much, I have that in petty cash

65 21.59%
  • It's substantial, but I can manage

168 55.81%
  • If we eat Ramen for months, we can wing it

42 13.95%
  • I'd be turned away from the Poor House for being too broke

26 8.64%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Do you have an extra 500 or 1000 dollars laying around?

How much money is hat to you?

No, I am not asking for donations or handouts.
    But I am wondering.

The ongoing asinine 'discussion' on slaughter, how 'evil' people are to let a horse go for a few bucks, knowing that they will go 'down the pipeline'

So I am wondering, who of the COTH people can actually afford to just eat 1000 bucks (admittedly on the higher end of disposal) without tearing a major hole into the budget? and CCs don't count, imagine they don't exist.

I know I can't although I am not implying I am selling my imaginary ponies down the road.....
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

For my horse? I'd pick up a paper route for a month if I had to......

For a horse I don't know/couldn't afford in the first place? That's a lot of money... Then again, I'm a college student working multiple part time jobs along with school and not a full time job. DH and I have an emergency fund and savings, but decisions are made very carefully with it.
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

2 members found this post helpful.

I had to put down two this year...$95 to euth and $175 to remove the body. No matter what happens, I make sure I have enough money to at least put them down if I have to. If for some reason, I lost everything, a bullet is almost free and I can dig a hole.

ETA: Before I would send one of my horses to a low end auction or into the slaughter pipeline, I would absolutely shoot them myself. There are worse things than death.
    Last edited by LauraKY; Mar. 10, 2013 at 03:07 PM.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

43 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

No, and I won't be owning a horse until I have enough to put aside for an "emergency" budget. That could mean I don't go on vacation, but that's ok.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

3 members found this post helpful.

It's a substantial amount of money for me, but I would find a way to make it work. I skimp where I can but with my horse is not one of those places.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

4 members found this post helpful.

I skip beach weekends and life fairly frugally to make sure I can cover emergencies and horse needs. Availability is what I have to plan for more than cost.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

1 members found this post helpful.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

It's a substanttial amount, but we have more than that in an emergency fund (thanks, Dave Ramsey!) for such situations.

However, I won't judge someone else who doesn't have enough; many Americans (including horse owners) are living paycheck-to-paycheck, with little to no safety net. And many of those weren't in that dire a situation a few years ago, and didn't overextend themselves.

For the average American (obviously differs due to locality) $1,000 can mean:

A mortgage payment (possibly including taxes & insurance)
    Rent for at least a month
    Groceries for a month or more
    A semester's worth of community college classes
    Health insurance
    Keeping the lights and heat on in a winter month

Which of those do we expect a family to give up to afford an emergency?

.....let's face it, we are blessed to be able to afford horses, lessons, etc. however we do it.

5 members found this post helpful.

$1000 is the amount I have to last for the whole month (rent, bills, etc.) $500 can be scrounged up, though it would take a couple of weeks and likely a small loan from a friend and we would be hurting afterwards. Although it really depends on what time of the month it is, beginning of the month there is more available money, toward the middle and end it gets more scarce. I always have money set back for feed though, and if an emergency arises and a horse needs to be PTS, we call the rendering facility. They do it quickly, quietly, and take away the body for free which is a great thing around here where we cannot bury.

As far as pulling horses off the slaughter truck, yeah if I had the extra few hundred bucks I'd do it because some of them ARE cheap, and like I stated I always have feed money stashed away in case something comes up and feed has to be bought "right now". I skimp everywhere I can and work 2 part time jobs and I'm a "drop out" college student (long story), but the horse that my fiance and I share doesn't suffer, he gets everything he needs

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understand that OP has never owned a horse, and does not own one now, and has never been responsible for a horse. And does not ride. So I'm wondering why she'd ask the question? In Germany, where OP says she is from, they eat horses. Pferde for dinner.

Yes I pay for the "high end" euthing for my horses when necessary. Unfortunately I've had to do it before and I'll do it again if and when necessary. It's a part of ownership. Yes I oppose horse slaughter. I consider horses the same as dogs and cats. Sure in asian they eat dogs, but we don't ship them off for slaughter in the USA.

And my money doesn't "lay" around.

9 members found this post helpful.

I try to have at least $1,000 left over after expenses every month.

This way it is merely annoying when the car suddenly needs $850 in repair, not crippling.

As a home, car, and horse owner I feel that having a grand left in the bank after routine expenses is the absolute minimum. After about $3k is sitting in the bank at the end of the month I start paying down extra on debt (student loans and mortgage).

Zafirah, I believe it OP is asking about justifying sending a horse to slaughter due to lack of funds to euth to as opposed to pulling one off the slaughter truck. Of course, costs to euth and dispose of the body are extremely variable, depending on disposal laws and overall costs. My county will pick up the body for free as long as it's out by the road.

Personally, if I didn't have the money or means to euth a horse, I wouldn't have one. But that's me. I'm not against slaughter per se, but I'm against slaughter for my horses. After they're dead...they go to the rendering plant. As far as I'm concerned, dead is dead.

5 members found this post helpful.

If you think it's so asinine why bother reading it?

As far as taking care of my horses - no it isn't easy but yes I also have it stashed away.

You do what you have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    How much money is hat to you?

No, I am not asking for donations or handouts.
    But I am wondering.

The ongoing asinine 'discussion' on slaughter, how 'evil' people are to let a horse go for a few bucks, knowing that they will go 'down the pipeline'

So I am wondering, who of the COTH people can actually afford to just eat 1000 bucks (admittedly on the higher end of disposal) without tearing a major hole into the budget? and CCs don't count, imagine they don't exist.

I know I can't although I am not implying I am selling my imaginary ponies down the road.....

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Zafirah, I believe it OP is asking about justifying sending a horse to slaughter due to lack of funds to euth to as opposed to pulling one of the slaughter truck. Of course, costs to euth and dispose of the body are extremely variable, depending on disposal laws and overall costs.

Personally, if I didn't have the money or means to euth a horse, I wouldn't have one. But that's me. I'm not against slaughter per se, but I'm against slaughter for my horses. After they're dead...they go to the rendering plant. As far as I'm concerned, dead is dead.
    No. The OP is asking if people really have that extra money laying around.
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

That is a VERY high amount for putting a horse down + disposal. There are other options, some of them free ones. I think it has more to do with what we, as humans, are "comfortable" with.
    I know this is a difficult and unpleasant subject, but it pays to educate one's self before and emergency situation arises. For example this is our local landfill fees:
    "Animals:
    Small: $5.00 each in-County, $15.00 each out-of-County
    Large: $10.00 each in-County, $20.00 each out-of-County"
    There are also zoos, big cat sanctuaries, etc

***A few years ago I knew nothing about all those options but have unfortunately had to become familiar with the topic.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post
    That is a VERY high amount for putting a horse down + disposal. There are other options, some of them free ones. I think it has more to do with what we, as humans, are "comfortable" with.
    I know this is a difficult and unpleasant subject, but it pays to educate one's self before and emergency situation arises. For example this is our local landfill fees:
    "Animals:
    Small: $5.00 each in-County, $15.00 each out-of-County
    Large: $10.00 each in-County, $20.00 each out-of-County"
    There are also zoos, big cat sanctuaries, etc

***A few years ago I knew nothing about all those options but have unfortunately had to become familiar with the topic.
    well, if you can do it on the cheap where you are, count your blessings. I understand that many parts of the country are rather expensive in that regard.

again, it's not about how to kill the horse. I am curious how many people can actually spend this kind of amount on the spot.
    I know I would have to economize severely. And I am already a cheapskate...

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    No. The OP is asking if people really have that extra money laying around.
    In many areas, it doesn't take anywhere close to that amount of money. I could do the pink juice route for $95 and have them hauled away for free, or a bullet and a free haul away. I chose to have the Horse Hearse come to pick them up because I don't want my dead horse lying at the side of the road waiting for pick-up. But if I couldn't afford the pick-up at $175, I would put them on the side of the road.

So, my options are the cost of a bullet (almost $0.00), $95 or $270. $270 is the most it could cost me. That's a far cry from $500 to $1000.

Then why not poll how much it costs to euth a horse? And then ask if people have that amount tucked away for an emergency. That's the difficulty in polling...asking the right questions.

A poll means nothing when you frame a question to get the answer you want.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    In many areas, it doesn't take anywhere close to that amount of money. I could do the pink juice route for $95 and have them hauled away for free, or a bullet and a free haul away. I chose to have the Horse Hearse come to pick them up because I don't want my dead horse lying at the side of the road waiting for pick-up. But if I couldn't afford the pick-up at $175, I would put them on the side of the road.

So, my options are the cost of a bullet (almost $0.00), $95 or $270. $270 is the most it could cost me. That's a far cry from $500 to $1000.
    then praise your lucky stars.

Yes, I have access to money for vet bills, euth, etc. If I didn't have a substantial savings built up I wouldn't own one.

Owning a pet is a luxury. If you decide to own one, you should have money for vet bills or at the least, euth and disposal.

And if you own a horse, presumably you pay for it's care (board, feed, foot care, teeth care, shots, vet care). If the horse needs to be euthed/disposed of the amount of money it costs is probably at or less than a month of two of care if it were alive. So there IS money available in most cases.

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post
    That is a VERY high amount for putting a horse down + disposal.
    That was my thought as well. I paid $100 a few years ago for the euthanasia and $50 for the backhoe; the excavator was a friend, though, so we could maybe assume $150 for euth (4 years later) and $250 for backhoe? Obviously it helps to own enough property to be able to bury the animal, although in the future I'm not sure I really want the euth drugs in my soil, even though they are far from my water sources.

I know the clinic will also compost and then bury euthanized horses on their property. I'm not sure the cost for that but I recall it being relatively inexpensive. Not a very glamorous ending, but low cost if you can get to the clinic.

I think I recall the renderer being something like $.03-$.05/lb, so that is a higher end disposal, but they do pick up which is huge; moving a 1000lb carcass isn't easy.

While I know everyone can fall on hard times - if you are a horse owner and can't cover euthanasia and disposal, you really should reconsider horse ownership. Horse ownership is entirely elective, as opposed to things like mortgages, food, heat and lights...(so yes, I have that kind of money, but it's not necessarily "laying around" or stuck in the couch cushions...but is in savings for situations like horse emergencies, among other things.)

6 members found this post helpful.