The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Walter Zettl clinic in GA canceled

For those that haven't heard, this news is posted on the GDCTA website:

"It is with sad hearts that we have to announce that for health reasons Walter Zettl has had to cancel both the March and November GDCTA clinics. He is officially retired!"

We had such a wonderful time with him here in GA last fall, and were really looking forward to his return. Best wishes to him and Heide for a long and relaxing retirement! The dressage world has been greatly enriched through his sharing of his knowledge.

Oh no! My best friend loved clinicing with him - she's lost her 2 favorite coaches this year due to health

Aw, that's sad. Not unexpected, though, and I wish him a long and happy retirement.

I rode with Walter at regular clinics a long time back. What a gifted horseman. Long and happy retirement to you, Mr. Zettl.

I am so sorry to hear that he is retiring. I met him in Wellington in February and got my book autographed. I greatly enjoyed his seminars.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

Are the Canadian dates cancelled too?
    www.muskokalakesconnemaras.com
    Wonderful ponies for family or show!

DownYonder is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by MuskokaLakesConnemaras View Post
    Are the Canadian dates cancelled too?
    My understanding is they are not supposed to fly anymore due to health issues. I heard Walter would try to be available for lessons and maybe clinics very close to his home, and as his health allows. You will probably want to check with the clinic organizers regarding the status of the Canadian dates.

The man is 84! Don't be "sorry" he is retiring, be happy for him! I'd say he's given back more than his share to Dressage.

I'm sorry I never got to ride with him or audit one of his clinics, but I'm not sorry he is retiring.

1 members found this post helpful.

You're right, of course, SFVA.

I feel badly for the folks who'd signed up for the clinic. Sad news for them. It can't be helped, though.

I am grateful I had a chance to audit his GA clinic in November, it was a wonderful experience and I'm sad to hear he is in poor health.

Walter completely changed my entire approach to dressage and the training of young horses. Despite criticism for his alignment with the idiot Pepperonis, he is truly a horse master and I adore him.

I will miss seeing him, but am glad that he will slow down a bit and enjoy his time with his wonderful wife, Heidi.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Default In Walter's own words;

This is what Herr Zettl posted on his Facebook page on March 12. In his own words, he is NOT "retiring"

It is just a few short days until my 84th birthday. I have been blessed with a full life of getting to do exactly what I love. I am not finished by any means but a few changes are in order. As all of you know Heide and I have endured a very rigorous travel schedule for nearly fifteen years, this schedule has us traveling in excess of 90 days per year. While we very much love to see our friends and... their horses we have finally decided to slow down a bit and spend more time at home. Believe it or not this was a difficult decision, one that I have put off far too long.

I intend to refocus my energies on writing, documenting and preserving my training. I will be working with my local students, and we have plans to do Walter Zettl Training camps over the summer.

I’m far from retirement, I love my work and without this a big piece would be missing. Those that know me know this. I have many plans to keep the knowledge of Classical Dressage alive and will forever be dedicated in spreading the word of these compassionate training principles.

To my beautiful Heide whom I love dearly, I want to make her life and my life stress free and enjoy each others company. Having many years to enjoy our children and grand children.

Thank you to everyone for your friendship and being supportive of my work and for loving your horses so passionately. You have all added so much beauty and love to our lives.

Keep the door open and ride up in heaven.
    Yours truly,
    Walter
    lindasp62
    Founder & Donor/Account Advisor
    Brennan Equine Welfare Fund
    http://www.brennanequinewelfarefund.com/index.html

Original Poster

ride up in heaven
    I loved hearing him say that, to remind riders to keep their horses "up" in the shoulders, esp. in transitions, and to not look down while riding.

"Ride up in heaven, not down in hell". We often repeat it to each other at the barn.

Maybe it's a way to graciously distance himself from the parogies.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    Maybe it's a way to graciously distance himself from the parogies.
    What - or who - are "the parogies"?

Parellis
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    I loved hearing him say that, to remind riders to keep their horses "up" in the shoulders, esp. in transitions, and to not look down while riding.

"Ride up in heaven, not down in hell". We often repeat it to each other at the barn.
    Yes, we do
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina