The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Does such a trailer exist?

I've recently started looking for a new trailer as my horse life has changed directions and I now own and show minis and drive. I checked on a custom Hawk mini trailer which had everything I wanted except the shipping from Wisconsin to California is astronomical.

So that got me thinking....it would be nice to find something closer to home that might work just as well and since I still own my semi retired fjord my non-horse husband prefers that I stick with a full sized horse trailer "just in case" I ever need to haul the old guy somewhere.

I "think" what I'm looking for is a 2 horse slant (no more than 14 feet long as I'll be towing with a 2011 F150 with heavy duty tow package) that doesn't have a tack room and is fully matted throughout. Something that I could add a full size center divider to so that I can haul (and store) my show cart in the front compartment and haul the two minis in the back half. They would also need a small mini divider to keep them separated when I'm hauling. I thought of stock trailers as well but all that I've searched online are open slat types and I really need something that is fully enclosed so I can use the trailer to store my show cart in during the off season as well as some of my other equipment.

Any suggestions on brands/models to check out? I prefer something that is sturdy construction, safe and comfortable for my horses and easy for me to handle on my own as I'm usually alone when hauling.

You can easily find a stock combo and just use the PLEXI GLASS that comes with them if you want it weather proof

Are you wanting GN or BP? The nice thing with GN is you can put the shaft ends up into the gooseneck area.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

^^

If the OP is hauling with an F-150, I don't think a gooseneck is in the equation.

Otherwise, a well-made stock trailer is a great idea. I'd certainly want a full-sized trailer if I still owned a full-sized horse. What a PITA to have your money sitting in a piece of equipment you can't use.... while the pro-hauler is pulling into your driveway to take the Fjord somewhere for mo' money.

You can have a metal fabricator build in other things you want. If you get an aluminum trailer, however, you need to find someone who has experience working with that metal. Aluminum is a great, low-maintenance metal for trailers. It doesn't make them lighter (the stock trailer design does help there). But aluminum requires some skill to weld.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Would the little guys really need to be separated? The "mini divider" is the only thing I think you'll have a hard time finding, but I wonder why they can't just be...loose...together. If they pull together, I assume they can at least stand each others company, right??
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I agree that you could get a stock trailer and just throw both mini's in the one "box stall" and if your cart can fit - put it in the other stall.

Problem solved
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Actually I don't drive them as a team, they are shown in separate divisions as one is an "A" and the other is a "B" sized miniature. The younger gelding tends to pick at the older gelding till the older gelding blows up and has to let him know who's in charge so yes they'll need the divider in that back compartment. There are actually a number of companies that manufacture mini dividers and gates so I don't think that will be a problem for us to install.

I really like the Hawk trailers, the shipping being the negative factor for me. I'd like to find something similar that has a fiberglass roof, wood floor (w/mats) and is somewhat insulated from the noise and elements, I think a combination of metal and aluminum would be good. Have heard good things about that galvaneal as well.

Or I'll just have to bite the bullet and order a full size stripped down Hawk and try to forget how high the shipping is......they must be good trailers because I very seldom see a used one come up.

Is there a stock trailer out there that's comparable in construction to a Hawk?

I'm with you and actually prefer fiberglass roof, wood floors and steel frame with aluminum skin or aluminum frame/skin (but I still like wood floors and fiberglass roof)

It's hard to find them.....but out here in CA, you are lucky, you could probably find a Heacock Trailer - they are based here and use really high quality materials and craftsmanship - not mass produced.

You can call Bruce Heacock - but I also know someone with one for sale PM me....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

how high is the shipping ? can you tag along on another shipment of trailers to other local dealers ? When I bought my trailer, I asked them to wait till they had enough to fill up the trailer so we were able to split the shipping cost by 3 trailers. If I had just shipped my trailer by itself, it would have been around $2400, but with 3 people splitting the shipping cost it dropped the price to around $800 per trailer and I had a 2H GN.