The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default just want some advice on working student/ intern positions

hey guys, I'm new at this and I would just like some input on gaining knowledgeable experience. Okay I've ridden and taken lessons for eight years, I have my own horse- at my house. I started going to college for equine science and quickly realized a degree in that won't help get me into the horse industry. I know it's pretty much by who you know. Anyway, I've changed my major about 6 times and I can only see myself working with horses. If I managed a successful barn, that would be fine with me. Now, I have worked as a "stable hand" for about two years which was in exchange for my lessons/ lease. I worked about everyday all day. I've been thinking lately, that I should do some working student positions or equine related internships... Problem: I live in NJ and it sucks for horse things. Also, I am a full time commuting student who has a part-time job. Not to mention I will be doing the Extreme Mustang Makeover this summer.... so this isn't anything that needs to happen like tomorrow

So PLEASE if anyone has experience in this situation or has any great advice I'd love to hear you, because I don't know what to do and I haven't really found any good advice.

(I just read another forum about someone looking for a WS and people basically trashed that concept- I'm just looking for helpful advice on the matter)

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

I've been a working student before. It's a lot of work, and little pay. I was working 10 hour days, 6 days a week, for no pay beyond riding and housing. (Yes, I was very, very stupid).

Most barns will expect a 6 month or a year commitment, so make sure you know what you're getting into. And I mean really, really research it. I ended up at a well-known barn that had a very good reputation, but I hated it. They had so many training methods that I disagreed with, and rode their horses excessively in draw reins. (One time, they made me ride in a double bridle and draw reins. I was horrified, but didn't have the backbone to stand up to them about that. Just kept everything but the snaffle as slack as possible and cringed.)

Anyways, if you can get recommendations from people you trust and network, that is the best. Otherwise, www.yardandgroom.com can be a good place to check out. If you end up at the right barn, you can gain a lot of knowledge. But it sounds like you might have to put off being a working student until you have more time on your hands.

Make sure you finish a degree in something - General Studies, Business, etc. - while you are pursuing your equestrian desires.