The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bummer: Borel will be stuck at 4,999; updated 5k won!

Oaklawn has prepared a special "5,000th victory" trading card ready to go for Calvin's anticipated milestone victory. Opening day is this Friday Calvin won't be riding following a fractured wrist during a work:

Borel, who worked horses Tuesday and was looking forward to his five Friday mounts, was diagnosed Tuesday afternoon with a small fracture in his wrist. The injury is expected to require a cast and will keep him out of action for several weeks.

“Calvin broke a small bone in his wrist,” said Jerry Hissam, Borel’s longtime agent. “He worked horses this morning, but when he went home there was swelling and he looked into it.”
    Calvin's injury aside, the meet (exclusively on HRTV) looks to be yet another banner one with heavy local support. Keeneland-ish with the turnout by watchers for the track owned by a Chicago businessman

The meet is a central part of life in Hot Springs, a community of 35,000 that will swell on Arkansas Derby Day when Oaklawn draws more than 60,000. Friday, there could be 20,000 patrons on hand for an opener expected to be conducted on a mild, 65-degree afternoon.
    Last edited by Glimmerglass; Mar. 7, 2013 at 07:35 PM.

I've been waiting for him to get the card. Hope he heals well. Geez, I wish I could be in balmy 60° weather!!
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

To say Calvin's on an ice cold streak since he did return is an understatement.

Still stuck @ 4,999 wins. As of Mar 7, 2013 at Oaklawn he's had 19 tries, but has gone 0-2-4.

He has two mounts today (Thur), one on Friday, and five on Saturday (Mar 9) so the chances should be better that 5k is reached by the end of the week.

He hits 5,000 THU Mar 7th - congrats with mission accomplished aboard Hezunusal!

Borel’s first career win came at Delta Downs on Jan. 14, 1983

Borel was aboard for Horseplay LLC and trainer David Whited, a retired jockey who won 3,795 races as a rider.

“I [never] dreamed of riding 5,000 races, much less winning 5,000 races,” Borel said Thursday. “We’ve won three Kentucky Derbies, a Preakness, did everything we wanted to accomplish. I wish my agent was here with me. I want to dedicate this race to Jerry Hissam.”
    Image (a great one) - Calvin looking back at the field en route to win No. 5000 today at Oaklawn

That is truly a great picture!

Super picture, congratulations Calvin! The horse has a lot of white on him, maybe thats the reason for his name.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Props to the upset victory by Calvin on Rose to Gold taking the Grade 3, $150,000 Honeybee - a key Kentucky Oaks prep! Mike Smith riding for trainer Bill Mott on Flashy Gray had no excuses and was schooled by Borel on the rail

The irony is that Flashy Gray had previously the same Rachel Alexandra connections - both started their career with Dolph Morrison and trained by a Wiggins (Hal trained Rachel, son Lon trained Flashy). Flashy Gray was part of Morrison’s dispersal at Keeneland.

Read this earlier this week. Now with that comment, GG, have to dig up the video!

Congrats to Calvin!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes