The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

Default Sporthorse or TB Stallion Suggestions for ISH Mare with Clover Hill Lines

I've been thinking of breeding my ISH mare with the goal of producing a sporthorse for myself (eventing focused). Would anyone be willing to take a look at her pedigree and give me some thoughts? She has both Clover Hill and Mountain View on her sire line and several lines back to Nearco on her dam line. http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/irish+rose11

She has a wonderful brain and is extremely athletic. I am currently foxhunting her first field and she gallops and jumps as bold as you want right with the MFH, and then the very next day I can put my 2yr old son on her and she walks around like a cart horse. I've had her barefoot all around her entire life and she has never been off from a lameness, not once (had a sliced knee last year that took her out of commission for 2 weeks). Conformationally, the only thing I'd really improve on her is refining her head/ throatlatch a little bit. She has a really nice shoulder and short back. Here's a photo of her coming home after a good day of hunting.

I've been thinking about either a full TB or a sporthorse with a high % of TB blood. This stallion stands near me and I've been considering him. He really caught my eye with the Cor de la Bryere /Calypso lines. On paper, how might he cross with my mare?
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/blauer+vogel

Any thoughts and recommendations appreciated!
    ~Living the life I imagined~

PM sent
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

LOVE the Kennedy Road connection! He was such a wonderful horse up here in Canada, that had a credible race record and was a beautifully put together stallion as well

Im also a real fan of Whitesburg / Crimson Satan

I will throw my stallion Guaranteed Gold in for consideration. He evented himself up to the Training Level and has produced some nice offspring that are currently eventing as well. And if you click on this link -

http://www.truecoloursfarm.com/horsepage.php?id=1

you can get an idea of the foals he is producing out of mares similar to yours

He generally puts really user friendly offspring on the ground that are very Ammy (and family!) friendly too

Good luck in your search

I would look at stallions with Selle Francais breeding. The Irish are having a lot of sucess with Guidam as they did with Cor de la Bryere on ISH mares. I would consider one of the Quidam de Revel sons. Also Belgian Warmbloods can have a good percentage of French breeding. One thing I was impressed with was a video of the stallion Bon Balou at the 2012 stallion testing in Oklahoma and how he galloped into fences like an eventer as opposed to as a show jumper...he had the chops for either job. I looked at other videos on stallions who have been through the approvals there and it showed how each of them handled the same cross country course. Most show jumped the course but Bon Balou galloped the fences with a great stride and and efficient jump...he also was an excellent show jumper at the approval. I wish I could find video on all the stallions over the years jumping that same course. Lovely mare by the way. PatO

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions! All the stallions suggested have been very interesting. I'm particularly intersted in the QDR lines. I have read some feedback that the Quidam line has produced some "professional"-type rides. I am not a pro, but I do like a bit of spice in my horses. the "spice" on my mare only shows up at the perfect times; ie on XC or out in the hunt field. Most of the time she is very chill (maybe a little too chill in the dressage ring). Can anyone provide a little more color around what type of "pro" ride the QDR's produce? I'd hate to cross my "appropriately spicy at the right times" mare with a QDR and get "too spicy all of the time".

I quite liked Quite Easy (yes, intended ) at Hilltop. Any specific feedback on him?

Columbus- whew! that jump on Bon Balou! My decision is not getting easier the more I research....

You can post a topic about Balou temperaments...I think they are not bad...Quidam would be a seperate request. Guidam is producing a lot of good stuff for Ireland. You could search here and on Horse and Hound Forum. Quite Easy has successful eventers. PatO

Check with Fred here on CoTH on how A Fine Romance crosses with Irish blood.

He would add the refinement you are looking for, is well known for producing great temperaments and currently has quite a crop of very competitive 'foals' showing with Canadian Olympic Eventing Team members.
    Proud scar wearing member of the Bold, Banned and Bitchen clique

2 members found this post helpful.

I just started a thread in eventing about A Fine Romance because I have a 10 yo mare by him that I bred who is wonderful. I am just an amateur who has never gone above novice or 3ft in hunter shows so that should tell you I would not be able to ride some hot pro horse. Anyhow, when I bred he was just getting going as a sire with an advanced eventer from the first crop who went on to jump GP. Now he has tons of great kids out there competing with all types of riders. Some established breeders have now gone to him such as Jackie Mars, #1 US Event breeder 2012, has bred 4, I believe. I have seen some pictures of beautiful ISH's by him over the years. It is fortunate for a breeder to be able to see lots of offspring showing a stud's good strong stamp. So I hope you also look into breeding a Fredlet.

I think Fred would be a brilliant cross on an ISH mare.... His kids records speak for themselves and clearly the pros like them as much as the ammys.
    www.muskokalakesconnemaras.com
    Wonderful ponies for family or show!

Thanks again to all for the comments. I've researched AFR and he looks very interesting. I'm a huge TB fan and I really like the aspects of bringing a full TB into the mix and yet still having that drop of Irish blood for sensibility, soundness, etc. I've read that if you reproduce your exact mare when you breed, would you be satisfied?- and my answer is absolutely YES, but if I could just refine her the teensiest tiny bit, I'd be thrilled. With all of the amazing feedback on Fredlets (love that! ), seems like a match made in heaven.

I will reach out to "Fred" here on COTH for her input on her stallion's match to my mare.

But, just so I don't completely feel like I'm jumping on the AFR bandwagon, are there any other specific full TB stallion suggestions out there?

Thanks to all for continued input

I am very pleased with my Salute the Truth filly. www.dodonfarm.com There are a lot more photos of him on their facebook page, Dodon Farm.

'Willy' added bone, and I suspect some height, to my 15.3 hd Conn x TB mare. He has a level headed temperament, and my filly is an improvement on her dam (more people oriented, likes to be groomed, in your pocket type).

He competed successfuly, and retired sound, from the Advanced/*** level, and has offspring already going Prelim-Adv. He's also been crossed on a variety of mares, and is, from what I've seen, consistent with what he throws.

Quite a few top event riders (Bruce/Buck and Phyllis that I can think of off the top of my head) have used them on their mares.
    Fade to Grey Farm
    Eventing, Foxhunting & Connemaras
    *NEW* website:www.fadetogreyfarm.com

How about Flexible?
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by hey101 View Post
    Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions! All the stallions suggested have been very interesting. I'm particularly intersted in the QDR lines. I have read some feedback that the Quidam line has produced some "professional"-type rides. I am not a pro, but I do like a bit of spice in my horses. the "spice" on my mare only shows up at the perfect times; ie on XC or out in the hunt field. Most of the time she is very chill (maybe a little too chill in the dressage ring). Can anyone provide a little more color around what type of "pro" ride the QDR's produce? I'd hate to cross my "appropriately spicy at the right times" mare with a QDR and get "too spicy all of the time".

I quite liked Quite Easy (yes, intended ) at Hilltop. Any specific feedback on him?
    You should call Hilltop (Natalie) and she can fill you in. They are very good about knowing the stallions they stand and there have been a lot of QE foals. I'm not sure I would pick him as a refiner though. I have a QDR grand daughter from Desir du Chateau. He is taller than most QDR sons (at 17h). My filly is out of a TBcross mare. She is an amazon. All legs....and HUGE. I mean seriously tall....as a yearling is over 15H....could pass off as a two year old!!!! But very pretty head--her dam had a very pretty head as well. Mine is also a lovely elastic mover but more of a jumper type than dressage. Can't say much about pro ride...but can tell this is a super smart filly and she is spicy but in a good way. Mine was bred from eventing...and looks the part. QDRs are generally huge jumping talent and I think have reputations more as pro rides because they can be smart and sensitive and a bit hot. But Quite Easy got his name because that is what he is...Quite Easy...and the offspring that I've meet seemed to have very nice temperments.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Sea Accounts is TB. He won his 2nd Prelim in a row over the weekend at Feather Creek, and will be moving up to Int. in April. He also has offspring showing Prelim with a number of lower level winners and a couple competing very successfully in the h/j. His oldest are only 8 and so far the ones competing are doing very well with their amateur owners/riders.
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts