The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I am a bra fitter. I own a specialty store. I swear by the Anita extreme control style 5527. It gives great coverage, doesn't smash your breasts, and eliminates bounce. It does run s mall in the cup, so you might want to size up. I wear a 32H in that.

Panache has a nice option, but it is less coverage, has a molded cup, and an underwire. Shock Absorber has some good options. I don't consider the Wacoal sports bra to be in tge same league as the ones I've mentioned, though I love the brand overall. I really don't understand why anyone is still wearing those Enell bras when there are so many better options for us now.

Please get a REAL fitting. Your bra will perform much better. Victoria's Secret doesn't count.

7 members found this post helpful.

Thanks Alicat. I'm going to try out the Anita. Nothing by Victoria Secret fits me so I was surprised by that recommendation too. I agree it doesn't count for the well endowed.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    I am a bra fitter. I own a specialty store. I swear by the Anita extreme control style 5527. It gives great coverage, doesn't smash your breasts, and eliminates bounce. It does run s mall in the cup, so you might want to size up. I wear a 32H in that.
    Thanks for the tip - it looks like something I would really like. What does the back look like, though? Is it traditional back, or racer?

I think I might be able to find this at a local store, but if not, what online store do you recommend?

Panache has a nice option, but it is less coverage, has a molded cup, and an underwire. Shock Absorber has some good options. I don't consider the Wacoal sports bra to be in tge same league as the ones I've mentioned, though I love the brand overall. I really don't understand why anyone is still wearing those Enell bras when there are so many better options for us now.

Please get a REAL fitting. Your bra will perform much better. Victoria's Secret doesn't count.
    LOVE my Enell bras and won't even consider changing! Opinions are like behinds, everyone has one...
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

3 members found this post helpful.

I just ordered it from herroom.com which I use all the time. They have universal bra sizes so its very easy to figure out your correct size when you know your size in another brand. I ordered the Anita 5527 (traditional back) and an Enell just to see how they compare. They ship faster than the website says and they have very easy return policy - just don't take the tags off before you try.
    Last edited by equisusan; Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:55 AM. Reason: More info

Upon your earlier recommendation I have several of the Anita bras now. I do love them for low impact activities and regularly hike in them, but personally the Enell is still my choice for running and riding. It fits me well and really keeps everything in place. I guess everyone has their own personal favorites...

Thank you AliCat for the Anita recommendation. I agree that I need to get fitted, so I think I'll do that first. I did order the Enell because I need something for a show in two weeks, but I'm anxious to try out a few others. Is the Anita one I should be able to find in a special shop or do you think I should just order online? I'll look into herroom.com, that's great you can return them if they don't fit! I don't think I can return the Enell from SmartPak if I end up not liking it.

Next time I have cash i may try the Anita one. The reason I'm still such a fan of the Enell is because it's the FIRST bra that even held the girls down, but hell I'm open to sugestions! It would be nice to have the option of wearing a tank top again in the summer.

I have a Moving Comfort that I really like-no bounce at all, it comes in racerback or regular straps.

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/produc...&pid=684591082

At Amazon:
    Playtex Women's 18 Hour Original Comfort Strap Bra #4693

I have one and like it. It's not a sports bra, but it really holds, although I feel like Madonna!

Here is a review of it as a sports bra, and the reviewer mentions horseback riding:

"I bought this back in Dec. 2011, wore it a bit. Figured it was okay, nice and solid. Meanwhile, I was trying out one sports bra after another to use while horseback riding. None of them really cut it for my DD girls. Trotting was positively painful. Then I thought of this one. I already had it, so why not try it? What a relief! Now, when I'm trotting, the issue is not what my front is doing. Bringing up the straps a little gives all the support I could ask for. I trot until my legs give out, not my front."

It's good to try some different brands. Whenever I have a customer trying something new, I actually prefer if they just buy 1 one so they can wear it in their regular rotation and see how it works.

I also agree we are all entitled to opinions, but I like to make sure riders are aware that there are things other than Enell, which was the go to answer for years (I compare them to a pancake Crosby..... once a golden standard, still loved by some, outdated by others).

Quote Originally Posted by Temecula Jumper View Post
    Thank you AliCat for the Anita recommendation. I agree that I need to get fitted, so I think I'll do that first. I did order the Enell because I need something for a show in two weeks, but I'm anxious to try out a few others. Is the Anita one I should be able to find in a special shop or do you think I should just order online? I'll look into herroom.com, that's great you can return them if they don't fit! I don't think I can return the Enell from SmartPak if I end up not liking it.
    If you can find a local options, I would do that. So many women are off in size, both in band and cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Temecula Jumper View Post
    Just FYI that herroom sells the Enell too.

I'll chime in on the Moving Comfort bra; mine is underwire and I think called Cara. Like the prior poster, mine is so comfortable it's my everyday bra as well as for riding - no bounce, no soreness, no uni-boob. And at about $40 it's not a bad price at all. I don't know the other brands, I'm sure they're great depending on body types, but if you come across a Moving Comfort, please know they're another possible option. FYI, I'm 36C - not huge but "soft" rather than firm, all my life! And I know the MCs come in much larger cup sizes, too.
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

I'm with Jumphigh, I love the Enell "Last Resort" bra. The SO calls it my steel belted radial bra, but I have not found anything that can compare. In fact Jumphigh told me about them after a lesson w/her. I forgot to pack a sportsbra and rode in a regular bra. After hiking up a strap on the way to a 3' oxer (which cracked Jumphig83 right up) I decided to invest in a heavy duty sportsbra. I'm a loyal Enell fan. They take some getting used to but I now have a stable of them for riding and Zumba and Tabata. Check on eBay for them.
    Last edited by Linny; Mar. 11, 2013 at 01:14 PM.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

I've found the Enells too hot. I LOVE the frog bra that title9 used to sell, but they discontinued it, apparently the manufacturer of the fabric went out of business (I did mange to find one on ebay once). Bravissimo in the UK does larger cup sizes and ships to the US, as a 32G I have to either order from them of shell out $100+ for Chantrelle for regular bras. I wish someone could come up with a comfortable, moisture-wicking, sitting trot bra that actually fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Button View Post
    I've found the Enells too hot. I LOVE the frog bra that title9 used to sell, but they discontinued it, apparently the manufacturer of the fabric went out of business (I did mange to find one on ebay once). Bravissimo in the UK does larger cup sizes and ships to the US, as a 32G I have to either order from them of shell out $100+ for Chantrelle for regular bras. I wish someone could come up with a comfortable, moisture-wicking, sitting trot bra that actually fit.
    All my suggestions come up to an H cup and are under $70.

Quote Originally Posted by Button View Post
    Seriously try an Anita as soon as you can... I'm smaller than you (32DD), but I still have had the same issues finding something moisture-wicking, comfy, and supportive. OH and affordable. I think I paid $60 for both of my Anitas. The only complaint I have is that I wish it came in racer back. I have weird, broad shoulders and I hate feeling like my strap is about to slip off... The Anita never does, but still, it's a mental comfort thing.

So, maybe I will get a real bra fitting some day, but when you say go up a cup size, how does that work? I am typically a 34D (and that is what the Anita size calculator put me at as well). So if I were to size "up" what is that? 34E? 34DD? I don't really know how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    So, maybe I will get a real bra fitting some day, but when you say go up a cup size, how does that work? I am typically a 34D (and that is what the Anita size calculator put me at as well). So if I were to size "up" what is that? 34E? 34DD? I don't really know how it works.
    That particular bra doesn't come in DD, so to size up you go to E.