The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default H/J trying Eventing; south of Boston

Back story:

I miss having my own horse. I'm such a 'involved' type of rider that makes it hard to keep motivated when I enjoy more than just riding. I had my own until a few years ago, I was 15 then and we did the childrens hunters/eq. I took time off until last April.

My dilemma, which has inspired a new plan for 2013, is I've been in and out of barns taking lessons since. None of them have given me the homely feeling I miss from my younger years. I've been at a barn for a few months now, that is awesome. I've become quite friendly with the trainer and she seems to enjoy my riding as I've done some catch rides for her as well as shown a upper level horse to potential clients for her. I get to ride some incredible horses however I'm still only a once a week lesson kid, sometimes another catch ride once a week.
    It's a standard eq. lesson and we stick to 3' which is understandable. I started in the junior medals last spring (3'6") however still learning combined with using one of her own horses for my lesson which means I'm pretty confined to the 3'.

I've been schooling as well as showing 3' since I was 13. I won't say I've perfected it but I've ridden it as a hunter, eq, jumper.. on greenies, solid citizens etc. It's getting old not having more of a challenge in front of me ESP when I want it. But affording a upper level horse is just out of the question right now.

**To my point, I've decided to try and take up eventing this spring! I may not get the challenge of height but ill have new goals, and different obstacles ill have to learn to deal with. I also really like the dressage foundation I will get from my lessons under an eventing trainer. The idea makes me pretty excited, I love challenging myself and trying new things. I've emailed 4 places so far and they all have a true eventing course which was a big thing for me. One person got back to me so far and she doesn't come back from down south until April.

Places Ive emailed are Apple Knoll, Scarlet Hill, Ledyard and Valinor. If anyone has any input or ssuggestions on other places to check out please let me know! I'm an hour south of Boston, an hour from providence RI however willing to travel. All these places are a good hour, Valinor being closest.

Check out Erica Hawkes at Course Brook Farm in Sherborn. I am not sure she has a lesson horse but she is a good teacher and the farm is quite nice.

try flatlands-equestrian.com
    They're in Rehobeth. it may be right up your alley.
    Lots of them post here on COTH

Check out Lelo Reeves at Shepley Hill Farm. Great farm and nice horses.

Thank you! They all look great, I emailed everyone(:

Quote Originally Posted by Equisis View Post
    Check out Lelo Reeves at Shepley Hill Farm. Great farm and nice horses.
    Lelo's moved to Proctor Hill. Don't know anything about her program...

For south of Boston, Flatlands is the name I hear over and over.

Good luck!
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Wasn't Susie Gornall south of Boston? She's south for the winter, I think.

OP, have you checked out the barns/ trainers listed in the Area 1 website?
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Suzi is in Uxbridge, MA, which is a hike for the OP if she's an hour north of Providence. She's in Aiken for a little while longer.

Flatlands and Course Brook would be my top picks!