The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Do Dressage Folks do Show Set Ups?

Coming over from H/J land (obviously). I recently took a job as a sales rep for an awesome company that specializes in horse show set-ups- trunks, awnings, drapes, etc. I've never been to an upper level dressage show and was wondering if you all do the elaborate set ups that the hunter/jumper folks do? I would love to reach out to the trainers in my area but it seems like such a different world and I would like to first find out if there's even a need for our products in the dressage world? If any of you DO have show set ups, I'd love to see what types of things you do, if you have pictures or websites with pictures and wouldn't mind sharing. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by HJStyleReport View Post
    Coming over from H/J land (obviously). I recently took a job as a sales rep for an awesome company that specializes in horse show set-ups- trunks, awnings, drapes, etc. I've never been to an upper level dressage show and was wondering if you all do the elaborate set ups that the hunter/jumper folks do? I would love to reach out to the trainers in my area but it seems like such a different world and I would like to first find out if there's even a need for our products in the dressage world? If any of you DO have show set ups, I'd love to see what types of things you do, if you have pictures or websites with pictures and wouldn't mind sharing. Thanks!
    In my experiences no... The most people in my region do is curtains and matching tack trunks and not every barn even does that. We definitely don't go all out with awnings, landscaping, etc. I'd bet you might have a market for curtains and trunks but probably not much beyond that here. Others will have to speak to their areas... I'm in the PNW and while we have a decent dressage scene we don't have anything on CA and FL so maybe there's more of a market in those areas.

Tack stall curtains, some stall curtains. Pop ups.

NOTHING like the Arabian competitors do with couches, bars, tvs...

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm in SoCal. Even some business with trunks and drapes would be great so I will explore the area a little more. I wish I knew more dressage people down here!

As a representative, it is your job to go meet people and sell them the idea that they need your product!!! Start the dressage trend! Bring H/J pictures, show them what they are missing!!!

Practice your sales pitch, believe in it, and make some new customers happy!

My dressage trainer has curtains, a table and 2 chairs. She usually have a bowl of candies on the table and her business cards.

4 members found this post helpful.

We don't really do anything in my area. I thought we got pretty fancy for regionals when we put out some fall type decorations. We don't have HUGE barns with tons of students that give cause to have a nice set-up. At most people will do stall curtains.

Quote Originally Posted by mjhco View Post
    Tack stall curtains, some stall curtains. Pop ups.

NOTHING like the Arabian competitors do with couches, bars, tvs...
    The barn I'm at is primarily an Arabian barn, however we do have dressage and h/j riders as well. Several of our Arabians show sporthorse, including dressage. The plan for us this year is to do drapes/awnings. We usually have at least a potluck going. Most of the dressage people looked at us like we're CRAZY last year for having a tailgate party at each show. We're also the kind that is always cheering for our people, and we've had dressage people join our barn because they wanted to be a part of a group that was super supportive and had fun at shows. People DO remember the drapes/awnings/food/etc and we stand out BECAUSE we treat showing like a big family get-together. If you have a bad ride/test, you have people consoling you, if it's awesome we all celebrate with you. I wouldn't have it any other way. The bonus here is that it tends to scare away the people that give DQ's a bad name.

Edit: I LOVE having a couch at shows. Seriously nice when you need a nap between sessions, lol. I am all for having couches. And having a fridge is just convenient.

8 members found this post helpful.

Ok another question- in HJ there is a lot of standing ringside, so people love wool dress sheets and scrim sheets. Do dressage barns use these types of blankets? I'm asking because we also have a blanket line but I would like to know more about how non- HJ people would use them.
    Last edited by HJStyleReport; Mar. 9, 2013 at 07:33 PM. Reason: spelling

I'm in so Cal and there is some set up at the bigger shows - LAEC DelMar etc

Why not sponsor a competition for set up at some of the larger shows with year end prizes? Could be fun
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by nhwr View Post
    I'm in so Cal and there is some set up at the bigger shows - LAEC DelMar etc

Why not sponsor a competition for set up at some of the larger shows with year end prizes? Could be fun
    I'm definitely going to check it out and meet some new people. It's a little intimidating but I would love to watch some dressage anyway!

What is a show set up ?
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Not at the shows I've gone to (USDF rated). Some of the barns toss up a couple stall curtains or banners... but nothing that even starts to compare with the set ups that are put up for even low/unrated Saddlebred/Morgan Shows

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    What is a show set up ?
    http://www.horseshowproducts.com/

I found a company that does what the OP wants to do.
    I know nothing about that particular companies but there is pictures of show set ups.

What is a show set up ?
    www.equitex.com
    I use this term to describe what the hunter/jumper and other competitive equestrian groups do at shows- set up their barns with awnings, furniture, drapes and valances on the stalls, matching trunks that often line the barn aisle, plants, sod around the front, etc.

For what reason ?
    Does it make your horse perform any better ?
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HJStyleReport View Post
    Ok another question- in HJ there is a lot of standing ringside, so people love wool dress sheets and scrim sheets. Do dressage barns use these types of blankets? I'm asking because we also have a blanket like but I would like to know more about how non- HJ people would use them.
    I could see people maybe liking these for hand grazing or for in the stall. Since we have ride times and usually only ride once or twice per day there is little to no standing around like in the h/j world so probably would get much use in that way. Maybe quarter sheets for winter/indoor circuits though?

Dressage horses usually don't stand around outside between rounds. My horse usually wears a cotton sheet for travel but otherwise nothing.
    Most of us already have all our gear, and don't match barn colors or anything.

Regarding show setups- not really seen much, sorry. Like others said maybe some drapes and chairs. Nothing too elaborate.

I would see a better market in the western crowd- QH, paints, etc.

For what reason ?
    Does it make your horse perform any better ?
    No it doesn't help a horses performance anymore than me combing my hair doesn't make me work harder. The fact that it looks nice, cheers people on/up and gives trainers a way to make a another visual impression. Try milk on your wheaties instead of pee next time.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

25 members found this post helpful.

Geez, it's beautiful, but how many 18-wheelers (not to mention workers) does it take to haul all that crap with you to a show? I used to see stuff like that at Arabian and Saddlebred shows, but nothing like that at dressage shows.

The most I see at dressage shows are tack stall drapes with maybe a table and folding chairs out front.

So, it's pretty useless window dressing then. The only visual impression I would like a trainer to make, would be the way the horse goes.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

2 members found this post helpful.