The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boarding Facilities with Indoor Albany, NY

I'm interested in researching boarding facilities within about a 30 min drive from Albany NY, any direction, WITH an indoor. Eventing, jumper, and/or dressage places are of interest. Any resources for finding out what's out there, such as publications? Any recommendations?

Just moved to the area, live in city of albany, horse is in RI and won't be comming home soon, but possibly in the fall, but I would like to find out what farms and folks are in the area to begin research etc. Interested in facilities, trainer names, amenities, whatever you might know, but including localities. If you can include general rates of any place you mention that would be great, too. Thanks!
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

Bumping. Hoping for a response or two. Thanks.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

I keep mine at home, so I can't help much, but if you go to Rider's Crossing (tack shop- google them, they have a website) off exit 8 of the northway (I-87), the owner, Deb, is super nice and keeps a binder of local facilities. She would be the best resource that I can recommend.

The Eastern New York Dressage and Combined Training Association might have a few leads for you. They are also on Facebook.
    http://www.enydcta.org/home.html

I can't think of any particular places at the moment. I'm a couple hours west of Albany, but I'm sure there are people who are out enjoying the warm temps and sunshine right now who could give you more specific information.

Welcome to Upstate NY!

Two verrry useful suggestions - really needed those! Thanks a bunch!

Hopefully you will have some luck. I moved there in the mid 90's and truthfully had a terrible time finding a place. Ended up at a little place across the river, past Greenbush, that got me through the winter; fortunately for my horse life, I was relocated in the spring. Everyone told me then that the best options were up the Northway towards Saratoga, and I just didn't want to deal with that type of commute.

Edited to add that I looked at the ENY dressage site; there are a couple listed on the "Links" page, one in Ballston Spa and one actually in East Greenbush. Nothing in the classifieds.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Wow, just had to come back and say thanks again for both those suggestions. Rider's crossing sounds like just the tack shop I had my fingers crossed to have near me. Can't wait to visit. And I am so please that there is a local dressage eventing association so near by to me which sounds active - I'll probably join this spring. My horse isn't coming home until next fall, so I'll have a chance to scout out places and find some good lessons and trainers. Makes me feel better about my recent move!

I board out near Canajoharie. Training an OTTB and at a small private barn, but at least we have an indoor! Trainer is Sarah Dalton-Morris, who is in SC during the winter. She also owns Great Vista Farm (check website) in Ft Plain, next to Canajoharie, and has events and clinics (no boarding). Believe an event is penciled in for June 23. Easy off the Thruway. You may meet others with ideas for boarding if you come by.

In my H/J showing years, I used to live in Clifton Park, would drive to Saratoga early in the morning to ride, return home and shower, then drive to Albany to work. Although the commuting then only took a half hour from CP. I relocated to the Capital District temporarily in 2007 for a couple of years. Couldn't PAY me to return to Clifton Park now. What a nightmare of a commute! I did stay in Delmar for those 2 years, and there are a couple of farms out that way that may sometimes have an opening. But yes, tough to find around Albany...

PS I shop at the Cheshire Horse in Saratoga (even from here) on Geyser Rd for "in person" tack/supplies. Good assortment. Another possibility for looking for boarding - even if you're looking away from Saratoga?
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

There's a very nice eventing barn in N. Chatham, I'm not sure how long the drive is from where you are, but it's less than 1/2 hour from Exit 5: http://www.larkinhill.com/page/page/8715144.htm
    Last edited by SomedaySoon; Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:46 AM. Reason: correct typos
    "A good man will take care of his horses and dogs, not only while they are young, but also when they are old and past service." Plutarch

I keep mine at home too.

I don't have personal experience but have a friend who has taken lessons here:

http://www.aeringgreen.com/

I second Larkin Hill (Margie Hutchinson) - fantastic clinics and facilities. Also, Three Winds Farm (Besty Worthington). Don't know if Kenwood Crest Farm is still open - that's where I boarded as it's literally 5 mins out of Albany. GL

Rider's Crossing is great! Good luck finding a place that works for you.
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

Thank you, everyone. Super suggestions.

I second rider's crossing, the woman who owns it is a sweetheart! Also cheshire horse in Saratoga. There is a place called bewley's tack shoppe in guilderland, but everytime I've gone in there over the course of owning my horse, I get looked down someone's nose at. They are incredibly unprofessional and incredibly rude. There have been numerous occasions where I've witnessed the woman who owns it talks under her breath about people who come in and look around, ask for an item that they don't carry and leave without purchasing something.

As far as boarding facilities - what are you looking for and what's your price range? There's so many within 30 minutes of Albany it's not even funny. Here's a few that I have at the top of my head even though I moved out to Buffalo a couple months ago.

That I know of with an indoor that you'll probably hear about from Rider's Crossing:

Stepping Stone Farms
    Winter Glen(n) Farm
    New Horizon Stables
    JHA Stables
    Double B Farm
    Summer Hill Stables

Personally, I'd stay away from Saratoga unless you want to pay an arm and a leg and be stuck in traffic on the Northway in your commute. Too much of a pain even though it's a beautiful area.

STAY FAR AWAY FROM RENEGADE FARMS. I'd also stay far away from Schauber Stables only because I've heard their name in various lawsuits about people "not paying board" and they were also on Judge Judy about not knowing a girl had her horse in the barn even though she was an employee there....

ALSO - Please join the "Capital District HorseSource" on Facebook, post there about what you're looking for and you will be SURE to find people with an indoor.

I'm probably moving my horse up here with me in the fall. He is currently with my trainer's daughter in RI on a free lease through the summer. Depending on what she accomplishes with him and if its good for him and her, I might let her keep him an additional year - he's top of his form right now, and she wants to event him, and if she wants to take him up from Training level and he can do it, this would be his opportunity as I probably would not go that far with him as a rider myself. He's talented and looooovvvvvves it, so we will have to see what they do together this year. So I'm looking around, probably don't want to pay more than 600 for board, and would ideally like to be at a dressage or eventing barn. I ride dressage, love to jump and ride through the woods over walls and streams and have a background in hunting and jumpers from my youth. If I bring him home I will proabably show dressage and do hunter trials and paces with him. If I don't, I am looking for a good dressage trainer. My trainer's trainer is in Saratoga, Bruno Gonzalez and I will probably take lessons from him/Tina veder, this spring and summer, but if Airborne doesn't come home, I will look for an eventing barn and maybe a lease on a horse up here. That sort of thing.

Thanks again for the overviews. Really really helpful.

Bruno is right around the corner from us. At least, I'm assuming he and Tina are still going to be spending the summer @ Willow Run?
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

I'd recommend Larkin Hill and Aering Green.

Thanks, ILP - I'll be looking into those this spring, too.