The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Intec vs Tipperary vs ? And other assorted vest questions.

Hi all, I need to break down and get my own vest. As usual price is an object. I have ridden in a Tipp and found it very comfortable (I know not to land on a spear though). Thinking of price, I would rather pay $139.99 for the intec vs $259.95 for the Tipp- though I much prefer the look of the tipp. Anyone able to comment on how the two compare? Also I guess there is the intec cushioned $139.99 and the intec crusader for $164.99. And finally, if I could I would get a purple vest but you have to shell out another 70.04 cents to go custom $329.99 : ( boo hoo. All prices from current Dover catalog. I looked on ebay but all were too small for me. I think I would be a small or medium by Tipp sizing. Also any other models I should consider- I know I'm saying cheap but if you love a really expensive vest I can hear about it. Never know, I could win the lottery today- or perhaps tomorrow. Thanks all. Anyone "colorize" a black vest (with trim or ?) Thanks again all.

Try ebay. I got a nice Tipp for about $60. Saw a black one recently with a BIN of $50 that looked pristine.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

If you do a search on "Intec"' you should find many previous opinions. It's a personal preference thing. Some people can't stand the Intecs - they start off stiffer for sure, though I wear one and have found that as it warms up it's just fine. The Tipps are popular but don't provide the same level of protection due to their construction.
    life + horses
    beljoeor.blogspot.com

The OEM vests from China are made on the equipment that is used by Tipperary but are much cheaper, you can get a new one for the price of a used one.

Or try shopping on Ebay for a used vest and keep looking. I got my Tipperary for $80 in my size and it looks brand new.

I just got an OEM vest for less than $80 including shipping and it's fantastic!
    The rebel in the grey shirt

Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post
    I just got an OEM vest for less than $80 including shipping and it's fantastic!
    Link? Thanks!!!

I have worn both a Tipp and the Intec... I loved the Tipp, but couldn't afford it so bought the Intec cushioned vest (the Tipperary knock-off). I absolutely hate it. If you loved the Tipperary, the Intec doesn't even begin to compare.

I plan on looking at the OEM China vests. And getting rid of the Intec.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.