The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Next Q? Where was USEF in the EHV-1 Scare?

Where was the leadership of USEF when our performance horses were at risk?

Who made decisions in Ocala?

The State of Florida Ag and the show managers.

Where was USEF? Why didn"t USEF quarantine HITS?

This was a USEF sanctioned event. You ask what authority does USEF have?

Definition of sanctioned: final permission, approval, formal or legal, official order. act of recognized authority confirming or ratifying an action, to give authorization or approval.

USEF acted for one little pony at Devon, rightly so, but where was USEF when thousands of horses were put at risk, now the entire country is wondering if its safe to go to a competition.

Much more money is being lost with this than if the quarantine had been set down asap the diagnonsis.

I ask again Where Was The Leadership of the USEF in the EHV-1 Scare?

uh, they were leaving it to the correct and proper authorities.

13 members found this post helpful.

Yep. What currycomb said. When there is a communicable disease around, it's the state ag. dept. that has authority.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

2 members found this post helpful.

The USEF doesn't control people and their horses outside of USEF sanctioned competitions, therefore if a racehorse goes to a racetrack in Fl and is a carrier for then would you expect USEF to hand out some biohazard protocol - it's out of their jurisdiction.

Agree with curry on this one. It's up to state ag department. Don't think USEF has any regulations regarding health and biosecurity so they really aren't an authority.

Should there have been a press release that the USEF higher ups discussed the issue with show managers? Probably yes.. Would be nice to know that they are at least informed and are a source of support for show managers but I don't expect them to make quarantine decisions.

ETA: It's always a risk for your horse to go to competitions. There is never an "all clear, you have no to little risk" period. You can just happen to ignore it b/c you haven't heard of an outbreak. Same thing with flu. Everybody knows it's coming every year yet they still freak out. And you always know you're at risk but you can ignore the risk until they start talking about such and such outbreak.

1 members found this post helpful.

I would much rather have the state ag/vet in charge of this than the good ol' boys at USEF. They can't be trusted to do the unpopular thing even when necessary, as has been shown in the past.

6 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

USEF did have stories with recommendations on their website, IIRC.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

And, do you really need an organization to tell people to do the right thing? Most people would hopefully practice safe biohazard protocols in the face of this type of outbreak..

It would be silly to rely on USEF for information regarding an EVH-1 outbreak.

Your Vet and the Dept. of Ag. are the people that should be providing information.

Do you really believe that USEF did anything regarding that dead little pony? They said that their hands were tied unless a "member" filed a protest.

A "member" filed a protest and she has been sued by the woman who admitted to "accidentally" killing the pony. The pony injector is still showing ponies..

Really you must look to a better authority than USEF for advice regarding a serious communicable disease outbreak.

They couldn't deal with one dead pony, with any fortitude (and that WAS their business).

The handling of the EVH-1 outbreak is ,thankfully, not in their job description.

ETA I don't blame you for wishing..

4 members found this post helpful.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Add me to the group of people that like to leave these things in the hands of the appropriately trained professionals with recognized legal authority. For the record, if there is ever an outbreak of SARs at a horse show I am ALSO firmly in favor of the USEF continuing to stay out of the CDC's way as long as we are discussing the ridiculous.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

3 members found this post helpful.

I misspoke, what I meant to type,was USEF has the authority to shut down the show, not to determine a quaratine.

The USEF wouldn't be interested in shutting down HITS for the same reason HITS wasn't interested in shutting themselves down: Revenue.
    Come to the darkside...we have cookies.

4 members found this post helpful.

The USEF is *supposed* to exist to enforce the rules, not to shut down a show because of a viral outbreak. The state dept of ag's purpose is to safeguard the public and protect the agricultural interests of the state, which they did in this case by mandating quarantines. Neither entity has the authority or jurisdiction to shut down the show (that is, to prevent the show from continuing), that would be the responsibility of show management, i.e. HITS.
    Last edited by ybiaw; Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:10 PM.
    "I enjoy this motorcade and will recommend it to my niece."

I have a client who is being protested for informing a trainer that if she came to the show the other people would not take their animals off their vans because her horses could have been exposed at a show. Show vet upheld this decision. No one told her NOT to come, just asked her not to. What is the proper etiquette for asking someone not to bring animals who were possibly exposed to a horse that tested positive?

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
    I have a client who is being protested for informing a trainer that if she came to the show the other people would not take their animals off their vans because her horses could have been exposed at a show. Show vet upheld this decision. No one told her NOT to come, just asked her not to. What is the proper etiquette for asking someone not to bring animals who were possibly exposed to a horse that tested positive?

The trainer is protesting( to USEF?) because your client said that if the exposed horses came to the show that she wouldn't?

What "decision" did the show vet uphold?

What rule does the trainer believe your client has broken?

Quote Originally Posted by Summit Springs Farm View Post
    I misspoke, what I meant to type,was USEF has the authority to shut down the show, not to determine a quaratine.

I understand your wish that USEF would be proactive and take a leadership role.
    Certain circumstances are not in their control , but that doesn't prevent them from being on top of the situation, informed, and helpful to their members.

Color me confused ... didn't you show there, OP?

Oh for gods sake what were the OTHER 1200 HEALTHY horses supposed to do while in quarantine in Ocala? Add MORE stress to their lives by standing in their stalls for 21 days? Be serious. NO ONE wants horses to suffer and die least of all the people that MAKE THEIR LIVING from same. Listen to yourselves. smh...
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

jumphigh-??? Who are you directing your comments towards? Was USEF supposed to send those exposed horses home without a quarantine time or not allow new horses on the property?

Considering the index case wasn't technically a neurologic horse I'd be less severe on USEF and the state's handling of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by kmwines01 View Post
    jumphigh-??? Who are you directing your comments towards? Was USEF supposed to send those exposed horses home without a quarantine time or not allow new horses on the property?

Considering the index case wasn't technically a neurologic horse I'd be less severe on USEF and the state's handling of the situation.
    I believe that Jumphigh was making the point that it would have been inappropriate to shut the show down and not run the classes, forcing the 1200+ horses at the facility to be stuck in their stalls for 21 days until the quarantine passed.
    "I enjoy this motorcade and will recommend it to my niece."

1 members found this post helpful.