The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Do you board? That's a pretty important detail.

If you board, and have some horsey friends with rigs either there or through other contacts, yes, sell the truck and trailer asap. Yesterday even. You might in the hole on it, buuuuuuut....

You won't be feeding it.

Even though you are paying on it, you could maybe go to a dealer and trade it for a car?
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

If you board it would be wise to just sell the trailer now "as is". No way would I trust a trailer that "might" get through the season. That's just asking for a hoof through a floor board when you're on the highway.

If you keep the horse at home I would look into fixing the trailer, it is not a good idea to be without a trailer in case of an emergency.

Your daughter sounds like a well rounded and responsible person, I'm sure she will understand. Plus with college coming up, her riding time will be very limited (trust me).

Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
    If it were me, I'd sell and pay for rides. In the end you'll be spending less. And be the best passenger as possible. Pay for gas, clean the trailer spotless, wash it, clean tack, buy lunch, the whole nine.

It sure would be a release of a burden on your life!
    I agree! It's nice to have a trailer but it's less expensive to share one.

Hugs to you for trying to help your daughter enjoy her riding.

I didn't have a trailer for many, many years and still found ways to compete. While it's great in terms of flexibility to have one now, it needs to be maintained (I'm very lucky that my husband does most of the work on it), and when I'm pulling a horse with my Sequoia, I'm lucky to get 12 mpg.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

How scary to have to do auto decisions alone! {{hugs}}.

maybe your daughter can learn how to braid and braid well. there is a lot of $$ in being a great braider. Always in need.

2. maybe your local Voc school can fix up your trailer if you don't want to give it up.

but where you are a nervous driver, sell it and don't look back. If you cannot bum a few rides to shows, I'll bet there is a pro hauler who could take you.

BUT your daughter's life won't be ruined if she cannot show for a few years.

showing is very expensive, but not always worth it. (to me anyway).
    good luck with whatever you decide to do.

1 members found this post helpful.

First, and most important. Don't trust any mechanic. I have been lied to more times than I want to think about!!!!! Second guy may be trying to move your money into his pocket...

Get down under that trailer and look at it yourself!!!

I have been where you are, and have developed a policy that has been hard won (after trying to find any mechanic who could be trusted). I never take my vehicle to the same place twice. Get a Haynes manual for every vehicle you own, and learn about it. My daughter has good memories of being under our old Jeep and swapping out starters. It used to go through them, for some reason and it became some of our Mommy/Daughter times.

For that trailer, to see if wheel bearings are ok, (but this works on cars, too) jack up one side and try spinning the wheels. If you hear noise, or they don't spin freely, they need repacking, or replaced, depending on the type. Get three bids on that, just like any business. Don't simply go with the smoothest guy or the cleanest shop. Trust your gut.

Flooring can be gotten from Home Depot and Lowes, and they will cut it to size for you at the store. Invest in a good set of tools. These stores or Auto Stores like Napa, (example) also sell things to coat undersides of things. If you look at your metal work and you see that it is trash, then do what you have to do, but a wire brush, goggles and a can of rustoleum can do wonders if it's just surface rust.

How do you think the guys do it?

Everyone is saying Sell, Sell, but if the trailer is paid for, you have an asset that can be put to use. Rent it out for $50/day.

My 2¢

Just wanted to add **hugs** to you and your daughter. You sound like an awesome team. :-)

Again, thank you ALL for the advice and hugs, love them so much!!! In answer to some of the questions (i should have elaborated more in my original post). We are at a boarding barn but this barn is not a lesson barn so there isn't alot of action, some of the horses don't even get ridden and the othes have owners that are either young or how have no desire to ever go off property. There are only 2 other people there with trailers. My daughter has spoken with the one lady (who does a different dicipline) and they are going to get together and figure out schedules. The other one with a trailer is an older man who just started boarding there last week(!) we feel kinda funny asking him about hauling...but....hey...if you don't ask you'll never know right?! As for the mechanic, i don't know if mechanic is the right word for him. He works for a trailer store where they sell and fix trailers. He did tell me that when we go to pick the trailer up he would show me exactly the things he is talking about, so i do "trust" him to a point. He seemed more concerned about the floor boards than the frame which makes me feel better. We are leaning toward putting the truck and trailer up for sale, which leads me to another question....how do i market the trailer knowing that it is going to need some floor work?
    Last edited by muffintop; Mar. 28, 2013 at 01:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Would it work to have the trailer store sell it for you, on consignment?

This way they can tell any buyer what the trailer is and go from that on how to price it for you.
    Fair for all this way and you don't have to say anything.

Someone that is handy repairing such may just buy it like that and do the work themselves at cost.

Do check at shows with other local people, someone may be close enough to come by pick up your horse and kid and take them to some shows, even if they are not from the same barn or keep their horses at home.

Some kids even get to ride and show without owning a horse, just working hard and paying a bit here and there for the privilege to be around horses.
    For that, you need access to show barns and not everyone has that.
    Your girl is ahead there that she has her own horse, but also that means she will have less resources left to do other, in money and time.

That is part of all trade-offs life is.

2 members found this post helpful.

Hugs to you. I know this is difficult. It does sound like a plan is coming together, which is good.

My input...you are teaching your daughter regardless of which option you choose. Think about what a good lesson it will be for her to see that everyone needs to live within their means and how to be creative while doing that. She will go out into the world with that understanding and having had a good example she can fall back on when she is just out of college and has no money.

I have ridden since I was 12, but didn't have my own horse until I was 27 and then didn't have my own trailer until I was 33. I bummed rides - a lot of them between 27 and 33. It can be done.

Also, whether you keep or sell the trailer, I would replace the floor. It's not that difficult. 2x6s from the local lumber yard and a drill with a screw bit. You and your daughter can make a project of it, thus giving her...and perhaps you...confidence in your ability to do it yourself. You even have the existing floor boards to tell you what lengths you need.

Good luck - you're doing a good thing here!

2 members found this post helpful.

((((((((((HUG)))))))))))))
    Alis volat propriis.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrowette View Post
    Everyone is saying Sell, Sell, but if the trailer is paid for, you have an asset that can be put to use. Rent it out for $50/day.
    Only if you know it's safe!!!

And even then, I'm not sure whether your insurance would cover that.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by muffintop View Post
    i have a dilemma and i could use some suggestions. ...This is where i could use a hug if anyone feels like giving me one. Anyway, thank you for reading and thank you for any advice any of you may have.
    Here's my hugs.... ( ) ( )
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Get rid of the trailer. I had a young friend whose horse had a horrendous ending because a trailer (not theirs, a PROFESSIONAL's) floor wasn't safe. And no trailer = no need for truck.

Sell the trailer yourself but be absolutely forthcoming in what you have been told. We bought an aged 4-horse, stripped it completely (except for the skin), put in a new floor, did some metal/support work and made it into a 2-horse with 'living quarters'. It's not impossible - so anyone who buys it can fix it.

You'll be getting at least some of what you spent back PLUS saving insurance costs. That should pay for at least one year of outings!
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Around here you can't rent trucks to pull trailers, but if you have the truck there are a few places that rent horse trailers. This might be an option if you can't find others to haul for you.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Floors can easily be replaced and you go to a used tire place and get "new used" tires for the trailer. Surely, there is someone close by that can check out the frame for you for free and that you can trust to give you the correct analysis of it.

I'm not a hugger by trade, how about a virtual pat on the back?
    **gives pat**
    Sorry I don't have any advice to give other than the "things happen for a reason"
    Good luck.
    Please support S. 1406 to amend the Horse Protection Act and Prevent all Soring Tactics to the Tennessee Walking horse!
    https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/113/s1406

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams