The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Building new, and starting brand new pastures/grass growing - advice? VA/Midatlantic

We are contemplating a horse property and are considering building new. The lots we are looking at are undeveloped with no grazing pasture or true "grass only" fields. Think weedy, some grass but the tall type I have a pony (who gets fat on grass anyway) and a horse with poor teeth who eats mostly senior feed and can live well on soaked cubes etc but of course we will want to plant grass and start pastures. My questions: how long will this take?? Considering a build (5-12 acres approx), we'll need to plant grass around the home, but would want to grass/seed the rest of the lot and/or treat the weeds, etc. - where do we even start after soil testing? We are in northern VA and would probably start in late summer/Fall when build out would be complete, if we did this. Would obviously like to find a turn key property but not opposed to building either. Thoughts? Resources? Cost?? (the scary part for my husband)

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

I can tell you from experience. Years. Cost? several times more than buying pasture land to start with. The only reason I would say to do it from scratch, is if it's a case like ours, and you find a piece of ground you want for more reasons than just a horse farm.

Local Ag extension offices and state university ag departments often have great information!

I think when we planted years ago, it was advised to give the pastures at least a year to allow sufficient root growth to withstand horses.

If you keep on top of regular mowing, that really helps keep the weed population down.

1 members found this post helpful.