The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

I'm 5'8 or 5'9 with a very long thigh. I get the most self-concious over how long my torso is compared to the rest of the horse. I feel like my body and not so much my leg looks too tall.

My horses range from 17.1 - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater

to 16.3 - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater

To 15.3 - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater

My favorite horse to ride of the 3 is probably my 15.3 hand paint even though I feel like my torso looks too long on him

And for fun here's a 13.1 pony - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

LOL!! I'm 16:3 h.h. My horse is 16.2 h.h. He was 16 hands when I bought him..... and it was anyone's guess how big he'd get: Sire was 15 hands (maybe), dam was 17.1. He has relatively high set head/neck, so a lot of people think he's 16.3 or 17 hands, but I've measured him carefully (and I'm still taller than he is at the withers) so 16.2 it is.

5'10", 34" inseam, my horse is 16.3hh and has a big, deep barrel. I fit him. People are often stunned when they stand next to him at how tall he is. He doesn't look like a tall horse when I ride him.

I was too big on my 16.1hh Thoroughbred, he was much narrower, and I never felt I looked quite right.

I have ridden much shorter Arabians, in the 15hh and barely-15hh-in-shoes range, and they seemed fine to me too...but they were strongly built with huge barrels and deep chests. My own Arabian was more refined, at while he stood an honest 15.2hh, I felt like I was on a pony. The only reason I sold him, really...I never felt comfortable on him.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

I'm 5'8" and both my tbs are 16.2. One is super-wide (for a tb) and the other more medium. I really like the wider feel--my next horse may be short and wide!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

i'm 5ft 1' and my horse is 15.1hh.

I'm 5'8"... long legs. Horsie is 16.2hh and change. I don't feel too big on him. He is a little wide (Appendix). Though I could go taller w/o issue. Largest I've ridden is 17.2hh. Now that felt big. I can ride smaller if they have a wide barrel to take up my leg. If not, I feel like my heels are clicking together.

I am 5'9" with a 36" inseam. My gelding is 18.1... people can not see me when I am standing next to him. Lol And he makes me feel small. Even when I first got him and was extremely over weight, I never ever felt too big for him. LOL I'm not sure how anyone could.

When I stand on the barns 3 step mounting block, I still have to bring my foot up to almost chest height to get it in the stirrup. I doubt anyone will ever ground mount him.
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

I am 5'0" and my horse is 16.3 and wide. She grew more than expected. I wanted a pony/small horse, coach at the time convinced me I needed a HORSE. Next one is going to be smaller!
    http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...19756788_n.jpg

I am 5'5 and my horse is 17.1-2 (haven't measured him since his PPE). I am pretty much all upper body but he definitely makes me look like a bump on a log. I didn't pick him because of his height; he was the right horse, at the right time, for the right price, he just happened to come in an extra large package!

I'm 5'10 with a 32" inseam. I have a ridiculously long torso. My horse is 16.1 and chubby.

This is us:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
    ReRiders Clique

I think as long as the horse takes up your leg, a taller rider can fit on a shorter horse just fine.

But then again, I'm 5'10" and my mare is 15.2hh, so I might be a little biased on the "tall rider, short horse" subject.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

5'7" with a 16hh horse, we're okay.
    Last edited by bellsandwhistles; Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:05 AM.

I'm 5'5" and short legged. My horses range from 15.2 to 16.3. The bigger ones all were supposed to finish around 16.1 but kept growing. The height for me isn't so much of an issue, but body shape is...having short legs on a broad horse, it can be hard to stay with them over fences, and I'm to the point in my life where I'd like not to be challenged quite so much. The biggest one in height is actually more slender than the little guy, but he's green and lazy and that means more work. The best fit for me is my middle one, who is 16.2 or so, and has a round belly but it is behind my leg...where my leg goes, he's more slab sided and that makes me fit around him ok. He'd be my ideal size and shape if I was shopping again.

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    I think as long as the horse takes up your leg, a taller rider can fit on a shorter horse just fine.

But then again, I'm 5'10" and my mare is 15.2hh, so I might be a little biased on the "tall rider, short horse" subject.
    I'm always more paranoid about my torso being too long. I'm 5'9 with a 15.3ish gelding and he takes up my leg great but I'm self concious about looking too tall on him still because my head is way above him...
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

I'm 5'8" and my main rides are my Paint gal who tops out at 14.3hh, and my OTTB who sticks at 16.3hh. Both are big bodies ladies. I also ride our 15.3hh OTTB lassie who is very fine boned. I feel the "lightest" on the 15.3 fine boned TB. She floats, even with my big body on her.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

I am 5'3" and a very-important 3/4s.

My horse is just shy of 15.0 and still growing a bit.

5'5" horses are 15.1 and 15.2 Just right.

My mare that I sold was 16.2-3 and ROUND - her ROUND bothered me more than her height.

I'm just under 5'1", 27" inseam, and my gelding is around 15, maybe 15.1 and very wide and round.
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

I'm 5'2" and my horse is just over 15 hands (she's built like an old fashioned quarter horse).

I'm somewhere around 5'7"-5'8" with a 34"-ish inseam; my mare is 15.1 and my gelding is 14.2. Both are Morgans so very wide and take up leg well.

My friend's mare that I also ride is about 16.0 (haven't put a stick on her recently) but much narrower.

I don't look ridiculous on any of them. (Okay, well I definitely spend my fair share of time looking ridiculous, but it's not because of my height vs. theirs!)
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.