The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

I'm 5'9"and some change, the tb is within an inch of 16.1 in either direction... I know, not very accurate but I actually don't know his height and am not the best at guessing. Moderately sprung ribcage (used to feel so skinny and narrow when I was riding another horse who was a beast, but now I don't notice it.) I feel comfortable on him and think I look Ok, though I avoid photos of myself riding!
    Horse during high school, another tb, was just over 15.3 and slab sided, but felt huge compared to my previous mount, an Arab cross a hand shorter! I looked a little awkward on that tb.
    I have to admit, I would LOVE to ride a 17.2+ horse... But only if they could carry themselves... That's a lot of horse to contain!

Quote Originally Posted by horsegal301 View Post
    4'11" with a 26.5" inseam here. My guy is just barely 15.1 and I think I look okay with him. Though when I get my next horse, however far away that might be, I would want something at least 15.3. At 25 years old, I've been riding ponies all my life and just want a *big guy* of my own. Preferably with spots or dapples

My guy - http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...56618468_n.jpg

Me on my little one, half sister to my guy, she's about 13.1 -http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/308846_540818883370_346112229_n.jpg

Incredibly long time ago on a 17 TB - http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...71924511_n.jpg
    Love the Appy!!
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Arelle View Post
    I'm 5'8".

The mare I won the world on this past year is 14.3 on a good day. I don't think I look TOO out of place on her. http://youtu.be/7FIBKTx6gKU

My main gelding I've been showing is 16.3 and wide as a house. https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...81648288_n.jpg

The gelding I just bought just turned three and is right around 16 HH. https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...20915481_n.jpg

Luckily, I'm able to fit on a lot of horses okay, despite that I'm above average in height. It helps that the horses I prefer to ride aren't known for being narrow.

I even owned a 14hh POA for a little while. I don't have many photos, as she was a quick resell project, but even that wasn't THAT bad - she was big bodied and able to carry me just fine. https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot..._7603379_n.jpg

I think as long as you're a balanced and correct rider, who isn't over a safe weight limit for the horse, you should be fine.
    I think you look great on all four! Nice boost to see somebody doing well who is taller on a shorter horse.
    The Blog

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    Sorry, I was talking "Driving Speak", because when we measure for harness to order or fit it on a horse, we measure the total girth around the barrel. Want the straps to fit buckled in the center hole, so you can take up or let it out if needed.

So most of our horses are 84" around, at the girth area, which oddly enough seems to match their body lengths in blanket sizes. Most of my past and present horses, had that same measurement on girth and body length. The old Western horse, wore a 78" blanket, had the same girth measurement. She was very deep bodied, which is where my long legs got used up when riding her. She was a very odd set of measurements for her height, wore a Cob size bridle, though didn't have a refined head, with a 5 1/2" bit, full-size browband. I learned to ALWAYS use a tape measure in fitting things on horses, your eyes will lie to you on those well-built, close coupled horses!

I use a 56" English girth on the English saddle, special order at the Tack Store from the Draft horse catalog.
    That makes sense. My guy is 16.1 but wears a 54" girth and an 84" blanket so he sounds beefy like yours. It is very true that height has little to do with fitting a horse. I had a 16.2 TB who was slab sided that didn't fit me at all, it felt like I was straddling a fence. My daughter had a 14.2 quarter pony who fit me like a glove! My current horse feels like he was custom molded to fit my leg, I love that!

I'm 5'3", with short little legs, and horse is 16.2. I would have preferred something a bit smaller, but he's an absolute gem!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9392686...in/photostream
    He has actually beefed up a bit since this photo was taken a couple of months ago.

I leased a 15.1hh appy who was probably a much better fit for me, but he's retired to teaching kids these days.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9392686...in/photostream
    "Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle,
    but put me in summer and I'll be a... happy snowman!!!"

Trolls be trollin'! -DH

I'm 6', 35" inseam, horse is a 16.3 slab-sided TB with a long neck. I think we look pretty good together, although it would be nice if we could switch metabolisms!

Generally I fit best on something wide and 17+ hands--best fit IMO was a 17.3 Irish foxhunter with the world's longest neck. I do think it's been really beneficial riding horses that are too short for me, because it's taught me to be very aware of how much influence a rider's upper body can have. I've ridden a 14.2ish Haflinger and a 15.1 Nokota that had a decent enough barrels for my leg, but I did wonder where their necks were!

p.s. I'm SO jealous of all you pony jocks out there. I'm 32 and I STILL want a pony!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyedragon View Post
    I think you look great on all four! Nice boost to see somebody doing well who is taller on a shorter horse.
    Reading this I was expecting to see a person on all fours and was wondering how they were going to measure that, like a mini, by inches, not hands?

Thank you to those that posted pictures.
    So many nice horse models to admire.

I'm 5'1'' and tiny all around (I don't know my inseam number off the top of my head).

My mare is 15.3 and change. I make her look a lot bigger than she is!

I can almost get away with riding 13.1 hand ponies. Older picture, but I haven't grown since then.

Just for laughs, this guy was just about 18 hands. I felt like a Thelwell kid!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyedragon View Post
    Thanks!

I honestly am one who prefers the smaller, catty horses anyway - at least in the jumper ring. I think sometimes too much emphasis is placed on height. Bigger is not always better!

Now, granted, I really enjoy my giant gelding in the flat classes - he floats around and has a stride that goes on for miles.

The pony was perfect for what she was intended to be - a local show horse that could be ridden by beginners - adults or kids. Great size to safely carry a timid adult or be piloted around by a young kid.
    Veni vidi vici. With a paint pony, nonetheless.

5'7", 32" inseam, and my horses ended up being maybe 14.1 with an average build. Honestly, she is hard to ride due to the size difference between us.

Lesson learned on buying a young horse, sire is 15 hands and big bodied, dam is 14.3 hands and big, big, big bodied. Mine? 14.1 on a tall day and average build....

I am 5 foot 2 and my horse is a wide 15:3...When this horse retires I would not mind something smaller. I would consider something just a schooch taller, but not much. I am well past 50 and easier on and easier off on my various aching joints would suit me just fine. My recently depaprted old pony mare was 14 hands and I looked just fine on her. Stormy was a Welsh Morgan cross and was not slabby, but not overly wide eitherl.

I'm 5'11 and change, and mare is 16.1 but not very thick (Tb). I don't need higher, but my next horse will be something with a bit more body to it
    Last edited by Coanteen; Mar. 10, 2013 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Because I have no idea what a nest horse is.

I'm 5'1", my 15.3 (? We really don't know his height lol!) and SUPER stocky, so I look great on him haha. My happy size is 13.2

I'm 5'7" but have a very short upper body, so I fit my 14.2hh mare well -- but she had big barrel

I've got one who's 17hh on the dot, and two others that are 15.3hh and 15hh respectively -- but they're just two year olds, still growing, and not yet under saddle. I love them all regardless of their height

I'm 5'6 and my horse is 15.3h, which is my ideal height for a horse-it's the tallest it can be with me still being able to mount from the ground lol. It should be whatever you are comfortable with while you are riding.

5'6" and my Paso Fino is 14.2, which is considered quite large for his breed. I can drape my arm over his back when hand grazing, which I love.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

1 members found this post helpful.

Skyedragon, you look absolutely fine with your horse. I'm 5'9" and my mare is 15.3h and big bodied.

I've evented novice on a 14.1h Morgan and we were just fine together.

If I were to pick my favorite size, it'd be somewhere between 16 and 16.2h, but I like a nice tall, big strided horse.

I sold my Arabian rescue colt as a 2 year old because he was going to be too small *for what I wanted to do* with him. He was just barely 14 hands and lightly built. I wanted to jump, event and do dressage. If I were a western rider, I would have kept him all day long. He was 10 times the horse my Friesian is. I miss him and his antics.

Anyway, 5'7" and 14.3h is a fine combination for anything you'd want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Daatje View Post
    Skyedragon, you look absolutely fine with your horse. I'm 5'9" and my mare is 15.3h and big bodied.

I've evented novice on a 14.1h Morgan and we were just fine together.

If I were to pick my favorite size, it'd be somewhere between 16 and 16.2h, but I like a nice tall, big strided horse.

I sold my Arabian rescue colt as a 2 year old because he was going to be too small *for what I wanted to do* with him. He was just barely 14 hands and lightly built. I wanted to jump, event and do dressage. If I were a western rider, I would have kept him all day long. He was 10 times the horse my Friesian is. I miss him and his antics.

Anyway, 5'7" and 14.3h is a fine combination for anything you'd want to do.
    Aw, thanks. I am playing around with the idea of eventing him baby beginner/starter level this year. He has a lot of western pleasure training on him, but I honestly think he would make a real cute hunter type. He can really move out for being so little!
    The Blog

I think it has more to do with weight, the build of the pony, and the ability of the rider. I'm saying that because I am 5'11" and I ride ponies. My current mount is a 14 hand Connemara, cobby build. She has no problem carrying my 180 ish pounds. I am a pretty decent rider, with 40 years of practice under my belt, rode through Prelim in eventing, 3rd level dressage training. So I am balanced and am not going to tip her over. My previous mount was 13.2, again built solid. I have also ridden a 13.3 hand POA with smaller feet and legs and a sway back, but did not bother her. I rode a 13 hand cobby pony at one competition, but felt he was too small for me. He was short in the neck too, which bothers me. I'm riding ponies because I play mounted games and I can't manage with a bigger horse. http://www.mountedgames.org

My daughter is 6' tall, weighs about 150 and rides a 13.1 hand solid built mare we think might be a Hackney. She does look tall on her, but again, she's a good rider and is not in any way throwing the pony off balance.

It also depends on what you're doing. My daughter jokes about taking her mare to events, but I don't think they are suitably matched for that. For one thing, the kid would hit the jumps with her feet as the pony goes over them.

These two pics are my daughter on her pony:

http://mountedgamesacrossamerica.smu...9866&k=576Jdjw

http://mountedgamesacrossamerica.smu...2029&k=LjsV86B

This is a pic of the two of us on a team together last year - I am on the POA on the far right, my daughter is on the grey with the martingale. The pony I'm on is 13.3, and the pony she is on is 13.2. The rider in the front of the pic is also 6 feet or taller, and her pony is around 13.2.

http://mountedgamesacrossamerica.smu...2536&k=nRFwknw

I'm 5'3". The girls are 15.3 tb type and a fat 13hh icelandic. I don't feel silly on either one
    ~Former Pet Store Manager (10yrs)
    ~Vintage Toy Dealer (rememberswhen.us)
    ~Vet Tech Student
    Mom to : 1 Horse, 4 Dogs, 3 Cats, 6 (Former) Stepkids