The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I'm tall and like a tall horse - I am long waisted, too - and fell off my daughter's pony and felt top heavy.

Then, again, I felt top heavy whe I was pregnant - and fell off then,too.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I'm 5'7" and my boy is a beefy 15.3 Polish Arabian--here I am on him during the test ride that sold him to me. He looks like a completely different breed compared to my former 15.0h CMK Arab mare, seen here during our last show together.
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    80-84 inch girth?!? Where does one buy one of those? The largest I have ever seen is 58 inches.
    Sorry, I was talking "Driving Speak", because when we measure for harness to order or fit it on a horse, we measure the total girth around the barrel. Want the straps to fit buckled in the center hole, so you can take up or let it out if needed.

So most of our horses are 84" around, at the girth area, which oddly enough seems to match their body lengths in blanket sizes. Most of my past and present horses, had that same measurement on girth and body length. The old Western horse, wore a 78" blanket, had the same girth measurement. She was very deep bodied, which is where my long legs got used up when riding her. She was a very odd set of measurements for her height, wore a Cob size bridle, though didn't have a refined head, with a 5 1/2" bit, full-size browband. I learned to ALWAYS use a tape measure in fitting things on horses, your eyes will lie to you on those well-built, close coupled horses!

I use a 56" English girth on the English saddle, special order at the Tack Store from the Draft horse catalog.

5'5", 13.2 mutt pony, 14.2 stocky Haffie, 15.3 TB

5'7", my TB would probably measure as a "top of the line" small junior hunter. I always felt at a disadvantage in equitation because I look too big for him, so I often catch rode in the flat and did much better.

Then I ride a barely bigger than a pony paint in a stock saddle and look fine.

It all depends. OP, I don't think you're too tall for your horse -- but ask yourself do you FEEL too tall on him?

I'm 5'4" (Okay, I'm shrinking with age, now5'3") Most of my horses have been in the 15.2 to 16 hand range. One of my favorites was a half-Spanish Arab, 14.1 hands, very deep and cobby build. I looked and felt fine on him. The next horse was a 14.3 WB mare, very gracile, lower set neck than the Arab, and I always felt just l little bit too tall or big on her. We also had a problem finding each other's rhythm. I've seldom had that problem, but she and I were always at odds that way.

Current gelding, a 16.1 Hannoverian, and we look and feel fine together. There's more to "fit" than relative sizes.

I'm 5'3" and my mare is around 15.2, need to measure her again soon
    The other mare I ride is 17.1 and wide! It's a very weird feeling switching between the two

Well I'm 5'7 and my bow now is 15.2
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...0260134&type=3

This is my retired one at 15.3
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

Then the 13.3 pony
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

Truthfully I felt comfy on them all. But they are all broad and round lol. So that helps
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I think just giving height and inseam may not be enough.
    We ought to add age and disabilities to that.

You can be any size and inseam and in your teens/20s and fit a much larger horse to groom, saddle, get on and ride, than you may when you are in your 60's and up and have this and that part not working quite right any more.

Even with the tallest mounting blocks, some times a short horse can become a challenge to get a leg over, when that old body has become somewhat creaky here and there ... and then you eventually also have to get off, hopefully without a thud.

Seriously, Grandma at 84 was still riding out in the canyons with my first two colts of the morning, on her 15 hand, 24 year old horse.
    I did prepare the horse and she needed a little push getting on.
    Once, her silly horse went to bucking on the bottom of a draw, she rode thru it and pulled him up and was laughing about it, while I was worried my colt would break in two also, but he didn't.
    I think even he was impressed by the two old timer's antics.

I think there is more to suitability of a horse and rider than by size alone, other being maybe more important to consider.
    If a horse fits otherwise, it is ok if the size differences are a bit off.

1 members found this post helpful.

Owner: 5 ft 8 inches

One horse: Somewhere around 17 hands now. Last measured about 16.3.

Second horse: 14.3

Don't even ask how that combination happened! But the little one has legs longer than the owner, so that helps some.

I'm 5'1", and my gelding is 15.1 (but wide). My leg has fit better on skinnier horses 16h+ because of the width.

5'8" and 17hh but my old mare was a BIG 15.3 and felt almost as big as new girl b/c she had huge step. As long as the horse is taking up your leg and its a balanced picture and you feel balanced I would t sweat it. I also get on the littles around here (14.3ish )

I'm 5'4" - 5'5" and both my horses are 15.1, although Mac is more stout and rounder.

Paddy is more fine-boned.
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

I'm 5'7", my current mare is 14 hands (quarter horse) and my gelding is 16 h (appendix qh). The mare moves like a horse, and even a 6' trainer who rides her now and then doesn't look ridiculous on her. In fact he took her one day to work horses in the morning and cows in the afternoon and the fellow he was helping wanted to buy her.

My 'ideal' height is 15.2 but heck, I'll ride anything. Biggest I've owned was 16.2, but I've ridden 18 hands +.

I'm 5'3" with short legs and my mare is just over 16.2. Love this girl to death, but when she's fresh I do sometimes wonder why I didn't buy something 2 hands smaller!
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~

I'm 5'6", not skinny but shy of being a plus size, and most of my height is leg.

I show a 15-2 friesian mare whose size only works because she has a HUGE barrel that takes up my leg.

My last horse was 16-2 and kind of refined. Looked GREAT when I was young and SKINNY, but wasn't the best picture once I gained some weight.

My latest horse is 17-2, a little bit heavier built than my last horse and it's a great picture. My leg goes in the right spot easily, his neck is the right height for my hands to be in a correct position.

I've 5'5", current part-lease horse is around 15.3, previous part-lease was 16.3. I've been having a lot of fun on slightly smaller horses lately. My trainer said her ideal for me would be 16-16.1.

5'2"and the mare is a hair under 15 hands, which is just about perfect for me.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I'm 5'7" and my 6 yr old gelding is 18hh, my 3 yr old filly is 17.1 - but I haven't been on her yet.

My younger son is 6'2" and his mare is 17.3 and my older son is 6'3" and his mare is 17.1

5'9", 32 inch inseam; 15.1 hh. To me, he's a big horse - my first pony was 14 nothing and the second wasn't 15 hands. Both very stocky, though. But I like 15.1-15.3 hh the best, all other things being equal.

I think you look just fine on your horse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Seriously, Grandma at 84 was still riding out in the canyons with my first two colts of the morning, on her 15 hand, 24 year old horse.
    I did prepare the horse and she needed a little push getting on.
    Once, her silly horse went to bucking on the bottom of a draw, she rode thru it and pulled him up and was laughing about it, while I was worried my colt would break in two also, but he didn't.
    I think even he was impressed by the two old timer's antics.

I think there is more to suitability of a horse and rider than by size alone, other being maybe more important to consider.
    If a horse fits otherwise, it is ok if the size differences are a bit off.
    I bet your Grandma was a treasure. And I agree with that last part, too.