The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default How tall are you vs your horse?

Well I am feeling a little self-conscious about my height versus my gelding's height. He is 14.3 but high withered, I am 5'7''. Here we are:

Youtube video

(no critique please)

Anyway, how tall are you and how tall is your horse?
    Last edited by Skyedragon; Mar. 9, 2013 at 06:42 AM.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

Usually when I'm feeling subconscious I listen to my gut feelings. I don't think you're too tall though. I'm barel 5ft 2 and Po is 13.2. Horse, on the other hand is a BIG 16.3 and wide and broad and I am ridiculous on him.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Sorry to be the Context Police, but the word you're wanting is self-concious.

When I'm working with 17h+ of WB my 5'5" feels shrimpy.
    When I'm working with 12h of pony I feel Supermodel tall.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

5ft 3 and a bit. Horses range from my pony at 14h something (who I feel is too small), my gelding is 16h, and then the other horses are 16-17.1ish.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Sorry to be the Context Police, but the word you're wanting is self-concious.
    Sorry, finishing up the last of four 12s in a row. Feeling a bit out of it.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

I'm 5'5", all leg on a WIDE 14.3h Polish Arab.

5'9" and change, 34" inseam. Horses range from 15.1 and wide to 16 even and more slab-sided. I frequently have to mount from the ground and ride where I need a horse that's relatively easy to package for trappy going.
    ---------------------------

Me: 5'6"
    Mare: 17.1
    Retired gelding: 15.1

I didn't feel large on my gelding until he started to show his age. And perhaps I'd just gotten used to riding some larger horses by that time! If I weren't a bit, um, chunky, maybe I would feel more comfortable getting on him now and then. I think I could do it, but I'd need to get him fit again for him to be comfortable and I don't want to aggravate his Navicular.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

4'11" on tiptoe, 27" inseam.
    I have ridden from shetlands to big GP horses, jumpers and dressage ones, race colts and some huge draft horses.

Unless you are showing in a class where looks matter, as long as your horse can handle your weight, a 200 lb man on a shetland really would not be adequate, size doesn't matter.

I have seen small and large riders that have poor balance or riding skills, for the horse they are riding, be more of a concern on any size horse than if the horse is a bit too small or large for them.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm 5'5". My gelding is a very drafty 17 h Perchron x.
    Due to individual serious injuries, we are both retired from riding.
    But not from grooming, feeding, caring and loving!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

I'm 5'8" with a fairly long leg (especially a longer thigh) and my horse is 15.3" and rather narrow and it works just fine. I've even ridden 15h morgen without trouble. As long as you feel comfortable on the horse, and it can carry your weight it is fine

And looking at that video, you are a good match. Your leg isn't hanging off a huge amount (my legs hang under my guy's barrel in my dressage saddle) and your upper body doesn't dwarf him

[QUOTE=Bluey;6877826]Unless you are showing in a class where looks matter, as long as your horse can handle your weight, a 200 lb man on a shetland really would not be adequate, size doesn't matter.

[QUOTE]

I'm 5'4" barefoot with a 14.1 hand gelding. I trail ride and have no competitive goals whatsoever. What I love about having a large pony is that I can mount and dismount anywhere, anytime, and not have trouble. I know there are some stretchy young folks (I used to be one of you) that can do that on a 16 hand horse, but that's not me anymore. I would even consider going smaller if I ever get another horse.

To all the people with inseams >30", I hate you!!!! lol.

I'm 5'3", 29" inseam and my horse is 15:2 1/2. A nice size.

my mare is taller when she stands on my foot

14 members found this post helpful.

I'm 5'2" and I have/own/ride 2 who are 15 hands, one who is 14.1 hands and one who is 13 hands.

Here is a recent picture of me on my 13 hand pony.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps4eb79d9f.jpg

My daughter is 5'7" and my husband is 6'1" and they both have ridden my 14.1 hand cob mare. She takes up their leg nicely so they don't look too big on her at all.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Cute horse OP! You look just fine on him.
    I'm 5'2, my Tb mare is 15.1, good size for me(picture). My previous horse (Morgan) was 14.3 and I found her just a bit small for me, because of her narrow build. A smaller, but "thicker" Welsh Cob I rode on treks (the bay in this picture) was a better fit for me than my Morgan.
    I've ridden horses of all sizes, from Icelandic ponies to big 18h WBs. I prefer the smaller horses.
    But I still train all my horses to stand by any kind of "mounting block" I can find! Ideally, something high enough that I don't have to use the stirrups when getting on. I very, very rarely mount from the ground anymore, lol.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

My two mares and I are all about 15.2.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

5'5" with 34 inseam. My horses are 14.2 and 15.3. I prefer them a little smaller and am equally comfortable on both of tthem.

I'm 5'4" and my pony is 14.1, and we fit each other fine! I think you look just right on your horse, you don't look like a pony-crusher at all!

Here is my little dude and I: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...88406603_n.jpg

What I think DOES look ridiculous is tiny little women/girls on 17hh+ horses. Plus, in my experience, it's a lot easier to put a small horse or pony together than a huge honkin' monster of a horse! I like to feel like I can really wrap my legs around my horse and RIDE him, not just hang out up there like a little flea on his back.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

2 members found this post helpful.

Your leg is not below his barrel, to give the look of "outgrown pony" you can see with fast growing kids. I think you look quite proportionate on that horse.

As others said, there is a LOT to be said for shorter equines in being enjoyable to use in all aspects of using them. I do hear many comments on ease of mounting, and the short animal still uses up their rider's leg, so no dangling feet look when mounted. Saddles are easier to put on and remove for shorter folks or those without the strength they used to have.

There are a lot of shorter equines who have a TREMENDOUS length of stride, so these folks are sure not left behind when riding with friends or in groupls. Gaited short horses usually are WAYY out front!

My old Western horse was 14.2H, and I am 5'7", with a 32" inseam, and we could compete to beat all kinds of taller horses in various disciplines, as well as ride down the trail or work cattle, with no problems. She did her work with skill, had the BEST gaits of any horse not bred to gait, and we kept up just fine with "the big horses". She made me look good.

This thinking that a person over 12 yrs old MUST ride a horse over 15 hands has always puzzled me. I watched folks pass up some pretty awesome, short animals so they could buy big equines they never had fun with. We do own taller horses now, for our main discipline of Driving, because they need to be able to manage the weight of a heavy carriage and passengers on Marathon. They are nice horses too, but it is funny to see barrel under my feet in ridden photos. These various horses stand 16h to 17h, girth up about 80-84", quite deep bodied. They do THINK they are smaller than they are, since little horses can turn better! We never tell them they are BIG!!