The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Do you share what you bought at the tack shop with your other half

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I do

29 48.33%
  • No, I hide everything

2 3.33%
  • Sometimes.

29 48.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default I try to take my DH with me to the tack shop

He spends more $$ than I will.

15 years later however, he seems to have figured it out.

Won't go to the jeweler's with me either.

I would have voted "most of the time" because honestly a lot of the purchases go straight to the barn and he really couldn't care less about a new blanket or muck bucket, although if he's around I'll show him. Money-wise, he is a TERRIBLE enabler. I am the cheapskate. We don't do separate accounts so when I do start shopping for a somewhat big-ticket item he talks me in to buying the more expensive stuff (horrible, isn't it?). So he knows mostly what I'm spending and buying.

I always tell my husband if he asks...I don't hide anything. It's my money to spend as I see fit. Usually, I am bragging about a good buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by islgrl View Post
    I don't usually because its not fair to make him work so hard to look interested!
    I will say, all joking aside, that while he doesn't really know how much I spend on the horse, if I ever felt I had to "hide" it I would begin to think I had a problem. He has helped me online shop for horse stuff (and horses as a matter of fact), and always looks for quality first, then cost.
    I agree! When you have to start hiding the silly little BS there is a bigger problem afoot and it opens the door to hiding more important things...

My husband doesn't even know how many horses I own...

...and we have them in our backyard!!!
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

3 members found this post helpful.

When I get home from a tack store bender (like 1-2 a yr), I like to spread my purchases out on the floor and verbally admire them.

SO couldn't possibly care less if he tried, but he knows enough to smile and nod and pretend that he has any idea what I'm talking about.

That is good enough for me!
    Last edited by wcporter; Mar. 10, 2013 at 01:55 PM.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

1 members found this post helpful.

I share what's relevant. If I buy a new saddle or boots, I let him know. If I just go to get some show sheen and treats I tend not to mention it. Not because I'm hiding it, it's just that he wouldn't care.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I don't deliberately hide anything, but I don't generally tell him about purchases--partly because he has no interest in the horse stuff, and partly because horse stuff really is generally kind of ridiculously expensive and he just can't understand why I'd spend that much. But he will go to a tack store with me if we're traveling and I need to stop at one, and he's a good sport about finding the "husband chair" and waiting patiently while I shop.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

2 members found this post helpful.

Most of the time it's in a "hey, there might be a box showing up at the door!" kind of way, and then because he's as nosy as I am, he wants to know what I got. I did show off the new helmet I bought the other week. But really, the mundane stuff he neither understands nor cares about, so I think other than the new saddle that went straight from tack store to barn, I rarely mention anything that goes straight to the barn. He couldn't care less about a couple of new saddle pads and some dewormer so it's not worth mentioning, just like I don't really care about whatever those metal bits were that showed up in the West Marine box for his boat

My husband is not a horse person, but he will go to tack shops with me, can identify different pieces of equipment, and will make suggestions about additional things I could buy ("Don't you like this kind of saddle pad? This color would look nice on him, don't you think?" or "Well, you should at least try those breeches on - what if you really like them?"). I actually really enjoy shopping for horse stuff with him.

I'm in the sometimes category. Not because I'm hiding, but because he doesn't care.

This year, though, he'll be aware of my purchases. I've finally reached a point after ten years where I have the majority of things I need on a regular basis - and I'm expanding from just doing the HUS and over fences stuff to the all around over the next few years. This year I need to save up for a showmanship halter and then start working on saving for western tack (and keep my eyes peeled for a nice quality USED saddle). Considering the halter I want is around 1k, and the saddle/bridle/bit/outfits will run me several thousands, I figure he may want to know about that plan. Hahah
    Veni vidi vici. With a paint pony, nonetheless.

We keep separate bank accounts, so I don't need to account for my spending. I still show my SO all my great tack finds and he pretends to be interested

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    We don't hide anything from each other though, total open book on both ends. We're too unorganized to be sneaky.

That's pretty much our 'problem' too.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.