The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Do you share what you bought at the tack shop with your other half

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I do

29 48.33%
  • No, I hide everything

2 3.33%
  • Sometimes.

29 48.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tack shopping and your partner?

Do you show your spouse/partner the things you have just bought at the tack store?

I went shopping today and got a few things at the tack shop. A few great buys and as I was leaving the store I said that I couldn't wait to get home and show my DH the things I got.

The shop lady couldn't believe that I told my DH about the things that I bought. She said that most ladies hide their new purchases.

I walked into the house holding 3 bags and my DH asked what I got him. When I said that I was at the tack shop he asked what I got my horse and then looked at everything with me.

So do you share your tack shop buys with your other half?
    My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed

Yes I do, no problem doing that

I met my husband in 1992 and have been married almost 20 years. We both have expensive hobbies. He has a money-sucking boat. I have money-sucking horses. Somewhere along the line I made a suggestion to not talk about our expenses with each other It works for us. We have tons of other things to talk about that are more interesting to both of us.

1 members found this post helpful.

I share with my mother, she is the only other person in my family that appreciates horses and get just as giggly as me over a really good deal.

Kind of like Discobold my BF has an expensive Jeeping hobby as well as several water toys, I have an expensive horse hobby. We have come to the mutual agreement that he won't tell me how much he spent on a new accessory for his jeep or on fixing his boat or ski-doo, and I won't tell him how much I spend on the horses. Works out well.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

Do what??? Crazy...
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

See, mine has more money sucking horses than I do

Mine has multiple sport bikes. They cost more in the long run than my horses! We have an agreement that as long as the bills get paid and there is some saving going on that neither will question the others purchases. We share what we got with no hard feelings.

I don't usually because its not fair to make him work so hard to look interested!
    I will say, all joking aside, that while he doesn't really know how much I spend on the horse, if I ever felt I had to "hide" it I would begin to think I had a problem. He has helped me online shop for horse stuff (and horses as a matter of fact), and always looks for quality first, then cost.

2 members found this post helpful.

I wouldn't hide anything, but I'm not offering up the receipts and he's not asking. We like separate accounts for a reason...
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

DH is horsey too, so usually he loves too see what I get! He is also a major "gear guy" and has expensive hobbies (photography) so he understands the necessity of good equipment and often encourages me to get horse stuff that I want, even though I may not NEED it, and never to cheap out on crappy equipment! He's good like that.

IMO if you feel you need to hide things from your spouse, you've got some major marital/trust issues.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

2 members found this post helpful.

I would never hide anything from him. Hubby is pretty non-horsey but is making an effort to learn. He likes to come with me, and is often the voice of reason.

He wouldn't never tell me that I couldn't get something that I really did NEED. We stick closely to a budget that he's fairly good at monitoring, so if I want/need something bigger (say... over $300) I'll run it by him first so he knows that it's coming. We do the same for all our expenses though.
    Last edited by Superminion; Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Not enough coffee yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I don't hide what I purchased, but many times it's not all that exciting (like dewormers), so I don't bother showing him. Not uncommon for him to ask and I share and may or may not go into detail. I don't highlight cost unless I got a killer deal and want to brag about how much I saved him which usually gets a great eyroll from him
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I would bore mine to death!!!
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

My guy has this weird psychological thing where he doesn't care much if he sees me using tack that is new- after the fact. For instance, if we're out at the barn (we both ride) and he says 'Oh, I haven't seen that before' and I tell him something like 'oh yeah, I picked that up a couple of weeks ago...'
    He's fine with that. But if I come home fresh from a purchase, he gets all hyper and stressed about money. I suppose it's my version of 'This old dress?! It's been hanging in the closet forever! '

My partner has a lot of anxiety about money in general, probably because we were dead broke for a few years in our early 20s. Like pawn shop membership broke. He is not a miser and it's not about some creepy control issues, he just needs to know what's going on with our money in order to not feel so anxious. He also imagines all horse-related items to cost at least $800, whether it's a Schumacher double bridle or a hoof pick, so when he finds out that the new saddle pad was bought at the bargain basement price of $90 or whatever he feels a lot better. He also looks at everything I get even though he has no idea what it is half the time because he knows it's fun for me. He still refers to a girth as a "horse belt".

But I guess it's common for women to hide horse-related expenses from their partners. A woman at my stable bought a whole horse without telling her husband! Not in an independent "I can do whatever I want with my money" way, but in a hiding way.

My husband is into horses as much as I am; he's always interested in new horse gear. It's a blessing and a curse!

We don't hide anything from each other though, total open book on both ends. We're too unorganized to be sneaky.

I wasn't really thinking this in the money way, as DH and I talk about money all the time and he knows that horses cost money. But I guess if money is a problem in a house then yes some would hide what they bought.

A week ago I had stopped in to the tack shop to kill a few mins and came across the set of front boots that I match my back boots that I had got in Nov for my moose of a horse with too big legs. Didn't have the money to pick them up so I told DH that I was going to get them my next payday. So he know I was going to be spending money.

The tack shop was having a sell and I got a new show shirt as mine no longer fit across my chest. I also found a blanket liner that will fit my horse for $20. Could not leave that there at that price, as it was $80 reg.

DH couldn't care what it is that I get but he knows that finding anything that fits my guys is a big deal for me. He looks at the stuff and I know his eyes glaze over but it makes him happy to see me happy with a great score, be it the tack shop or any where else.
    My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed

The last time I had a tack shop type of purchase, I unveiled the contents of the delivery in the living room. I ooohed and aaahed over the saddle pads, scampered away to try on the breeches, fondled the new brushes and wriggled my hands into the gloves, all the while giving a running commentary on the quality, colors, fit, etc.
    MrB spent the whole time snickering over the "horze" company name.
    Hey, to me that says he was KINDA paying attention!

4 members found this post helpful.

If I go tack shopping, Mr Blue is usually with me. He's the spender...I'm the "that costs too much" person.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by inne View Post
    But I guess it's common for women to hide horse-related expenses from their partners. A woman at my stable bought a whole horse without telling her husband! Not in an independent "I can do whatever I want with my money" way, but in a hiding way.
    Yes, a neighbour had her horse 6 months before she told her husband she had bought a horse