The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ford 6.0 Class Action Litigation

Anyway, I got a notice from the Northern District of Illinois Federal Court Settlement Administrator about being a potential member of a class action suit regarding the crappy 6.0 diesels.

Has anyone else gotten a notice about this? If so, what are you doing?

DH is sleeping or I'd ask him... I can't remember what his is, but I think it might be the 6.0. It's a hauler and works great for that, but when it has a problem, it has a P-R-O-B-L-E-M! Nothing has been less than $600, and thankfully when it got an oil leak at the back of the engine, it was under warranty, because THAT would have been $4k. Oh, except it's leaking AGAIN from the same spot and oh, the warranty just went out!!

He poo-poos my Chevy 2500 HD, but he has a 2007 with 90k+ miles and I have a 2001 with 89k miles, and I've replaced the windshield washer fluid tank, a battery, and a windshield! We're on new batteries, the third new alternator, ignition module, that crazy oil leak, something else I can't remember, not to mention twice while hauling a heavy load (cattle) the damn hose to the turbo blows off and he had to jerry rig it on the side of the road. And various other small electrical issues that he has been able to fix (like when a relay got stuck and the truck stopped blowing hot air...in the winter...).
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

There's no question that the Powerstroke 6.0's were not as reliable as the previous 7.3's. Does the class action suit mention details of what issue the class has in common? (I'm sure it can't be about anything that goes wrong on a 6.0!)

Dave

Be careful, some such are scams.
    Read the fine print and if it ask you to relinquish your possible settlement for a certain sum and they will assume the risk of getting paid by the courts, you better think twice.

If you want to see if you are really part of that, ask an attorney to go over what you received with you.

I got one such scam notice not long ago.

The class consists of people who have leased or owned non-ambulance Ford 6.0 diesels year 2003-07 and have had repairs to fuel injector, EGR valve, EGR cooler, oil cooler or turbocharger, within 5 years in service or 100K miles.

I'm in because the EGR valve, cooler and oil cooler in my 2006 all blew up in 2010@ about 70K miles. They aren't offering a lot of money, and the attorney fees have to come out of it too, but I figure some money is better than nothing.

Yes, got one also. If you want to be part of the potential settlement I don't think you need to do anything.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Be careful, some such are scams.
    Read the fine print and if it ask you to relinquish your possible settlement for a certain sum and they will assume the risk of getting paid by the courts, you better think twice.

If you want to see if you are really part of that, ask an attorney to go over what you received with you.

I got one such scam notice not long ago.
    Bluey, that was my first though too. But this is a real Notice from a Federal Court. And I am an attorney for what ever good that does me. Here, it looks like the Court has approved a preliminary settlement, and this notice is in regards to that and to the fairness hearing.

I guess I just wanted to see what other sensible horse people are doing here.

I'm not going to opt out of the settlement, but I'm trying to decide how involved I want to be. The settlement sum is paltry. The repairs on my truck cost over $4,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Judysmom View Post
    Bluey, that was my first though too. But this is a real Notice from a Federal Court. And I am an attorney for what ever good that does me. Here, it looks like the Court has approved a preliminary settlement, and this notice is in regards to that and to the fairness hearing.

I guess I just wanted to see what other sensible horse people are doing here.

I'm not going to opt out of the settlement, but I'm trying to decide how involved I want to be. The settlement sum is paltry. The repairs on my truck cost over $4,000.
    Mine was from a court in IL also and it is part of a real legal process, just the company contacting you may be a scam.
    It was not about that one lawsuit, but another.
    According to our attorney and the company involved, those scams are from some sitting on the courthouses, getting names and then going under the process to buy people out, in the small print designating other you are giving them the rights to.
    I can't say more as some of that was proprietary information.
    I will tell you this, the heading came from:
    Northern District of Illinois, Eastern Division.

The attorney that looked all this over is a contract attorney and one of those in his firm has handled these cases for many years, so they were aware of those scams.

Yours may not be a scam, just warning you that some are.

Not a scam. Got one, too. Making a copy to give to the Ford dealer who told me that I was OVER-REACTING and that if I'd taken better care of it (etc.) - I'd have never had a problem. Made them buy it back after the second new engine blew up. And no, you don't have to do anything to be part of the class action suit.

If this is true...I'd be interested!! Our high pressure oil pump went out when DH was hauling a load of horses to Va..... 5pm, construction zone (one lane) around Charlottesville, Va. on a Friday evening!!! $5,000 and over a week later he got home. Truck had less than 50k miles on but was out of warrenty by a month on age. Ford SHOULD have been recalling those trucks. I know at least 8 other people with the same problem!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Maybe it will extend to Canada - what a piece of garbage that was.
    We'llever again have a Ford - after a 23 year good relationship with the 7.3 diesel - they treated us like dirt with the 6.0.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I checked with DH, his is also a 6.0, but no problems like what you guys are talking about . Just other expensive issues .

What years are your trucks??
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

My 6.0 was a piece. The dealership refused to stand behind it, even with a warranty, and I traded it for an older 01 7.3 F350 which the BF and I now share. Are they reaching out to those that had one before or just current owners? Wondering because so many have gotten rid of the problematic 6.0s over the years after they dumped quite a bit into them.

I love the 7.3 engines, but I will never buy a new Ford, gas or diesel, after the way that they treated me and others and how they refused to stand behind their product.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Too bad it specifies "Non-Ambulance." I work for a private ambulance service outside Atlanta. Our fleet manager kissed the President/CEO's feet the day he said "We're ditching all Fords and going with Mercedes Benz Sprinters."

Every 6.0 we had in our fleet was GARBAGE.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Ambulances may have their own class action going.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Too bad it specifies "Non-Ambulance." I work for a private ambulance service outside Atlanta. Our fleet manager kissed the President/CEO's feet the day he said "We're ditching all Fords and going with Mercedes Benz Sprinters."

Every 6.0 we had in our fleet was GARBAGE.
    There was prior litigation regarding the ambulances.

Who do you contact to get on board with this??? DD's truck had the same problem as ours!! Big bucks to fix!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

We have an 03 or 05, can't remember. No problems yet but its only got 50k miles on it. I don't recall seeing a notice. Wonder if we'd be included if something happens in the next 50k miles?
    https://www.facebook.com/HunterHillFarmIowa

Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

I got one too but I'm ineligible. I had to replace 2 fuel injectors but my truck has 150k miles on it. Other than that the truck has run great.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

We replaced injectors, had the turbo blow off while hauling to a show, the list goes on. The 6.0 is notorious for breaking down. I'm in!!