The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hauling in weather

Dang! Weather forecast for this weekend, when I am moving a friend's horse is for rain/snow mix tonight, warming up to 38 tomorrow but still raining. The it chills off tomorrow night to snow showers through at least 1 pm Sunday.

Winds pick up Sunday. I am hauling in a very solid two horse sundowner and pulling it with a 3/4 silverado so I'm not as worried bout the rig as I am the roads.

I am leaning towards hauling in the rain tomorrow. Any seasoned road warriors out there with advice? Thanks in advance!

I would much rather haul in the rain than snow, but if the roads are bad in either I would wait. Better safe than sorry, especially hauling someone else's horse!

1 members found this post helpful.

True enough! MN's Dept of transportation does very well on the freeways and main roads. I just always worry about barn yards and getting the horse on and off the trailer. Thanks!

I would lean towards driving in the rain. You don't want the rain to freeze overnight and then hit icy patches when you're driving in the snow the next day. I always go for weather above freezing if I can pick travel days.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I'd rather haul in rain than wind.
    If you've never felt wind rocking a trailer it's a feeling you'd rather not have.
    Ever.

And ditto on freezing rain - I made it to my vet's clinic once in an icy drizzle - crept along the roads, then on the final turn into his drive hit a patch of black ice and kilt his mail box

Just take it slow on the road and don't worry about loading & unloading - the horse won't care, it will just make the job less comfortable for you.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Sorry if I'm giggling about hauling in rain as "weather", since I live in the land of perpetual rain (and wind!). Go in the rain. Hints: drive slowly and steadily, planning your stops and turns (as in, slow down in a planned, easy on the brakes kind of way...as if you'd stomp on them! ha!). For wind, and boy do we get some fierce winds here in the PDX area, stay in the middle lane if on a 3 lane road, both hands on the wheel, relax--your trailer won't blow over, and be mindful of the traffic around you in case you inch into the lane next to you. Do you know your destination's layout? If not, stop in the road or driveway to assess how you'll turn around or back up before proceeding ahead.

You'll be fine. As a wise friend told me when I began hauling my own horse--drive the truck, the trailer will follow where ever you point your nose.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

In the upper midwest if you avoided trailering due to questionable weather you will never ever trailer.

I have a cardinal rule - never drive if there is a chance of snow or ice.
    Black ice on a shaded part of a road is especially likely to spring a surprize on you.

Rain is normal for us! Keep the speeds down and distance from another vehicle greater.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

2 members found this post helpful.

I'd try to do the trip in the warmest part of the day so there is not rain freezing on the roads. One thing to be aware of in the parking areas particularly is that you may have rain pooling on top of snow pack, which is very slippery. If it's slick around the spot where you are loading just sprinkle some shavings or sand or whatever you have around to make more secure footing. I have been dealing with this all winter.

Rain is better than snow, ice, compact snow. Strong wind can make trailer behavior tricky. I'm of the opinion there is never a situation that justifies the value/risk of life, vehicle, trailer, and the horse, and potentially other individuals on the roads with you.

I've been sideways, thanks to hidden ice, somehow managing to stay upright, and it was just so. much. fun. Sideways happens so fast you don't even have time to swear. It's not always true the trailer goes where the nose of your truck is pointed. Sometimes, the trailer tries to take lead.

As you well know, it's not your own stopping and starting that is usually the problem, but the occasional idiot of a driver who has their head in la-la land.

I think the most important thing to remember this time of year is that regardless of the external temperature reading displayed on your truck, this is the ambient temperature. The ROAD SURFACE TEMPERATURE will still be considerably cooler unless the sun has had some heat in it for 3 or 4 days prior.
    http://www.mariposasporthorses.com/

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

Definitely try to get it over with in the rain versus snow/freezing rain.

Last January, my mare had to be trailered to the animal hospital, an almost 2 hour drive from me. And what do you know...freezing rain started as I was loading her in the trailer...I didn't have a choice to cancel, she was off feed & water, colicking, etc. She was headed there for a scope as I suspected ulcers.

It was a LOOOOONNNNGGGG drive, because I went super slow, and even needed 4-wheel-peel on paved roads because the hills were glazed over in ice and my truck was fishtailing going uphill I had white knuckles, a headache, and my stomach was in knots when we got there, but we made it there okay because I just went slow slow slow.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by mjhco View Post
    In the upper midwest if you avoided trailering due to questionable weather you will never ever trailer.
    New England as well. I trailered out to Equine Affaire last November in a snowstorm. You just have to be careful, allow lots of extra room around you. Leave a big following distance between yourself and the car in front of you. Rain, no big deal. Ice, if it's fresh and hasn't been treated, I'd rather not.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Saw this thread bumped and wondered if OP had made the trip.

Also wanted to add a PSA:
    Trucker once told me he determined how icy the roads were by watching the rear tires of the vehicle in front of him.
    If spray was coming off them then the road was wet, not icy.
    If no spray, then Heads Up! - road is iced over.
    This tip has saved me a lot of white-knuckle driving.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009