The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default When horses go to slaughter

I don't understand....I read on lots various medications for horses that it is not intended to be used on horses that go to slaughter. Aren't most horses that end up in slaughter houses full of all sorts of drugs and de-wormers?

Who the heck wants to eat that meat? How do they determine if a horse is drug free? If horses are going to be slaughtered here in the US again, do they have a USDA inspection? I know we don't eat horse meat here, but what type of inspection do the countries that eat the meat go through? Maybe, if people knew how their meat was polluted, they may think twice about eating it.

Or am I just being delusional?

Simple, meat is tested, any found to have residues, that is not many, are not processed for human consumption.

Fear-mongering by animal rights groups wanting to eliminate all uses of animals is much of what is driving all this publicity, as part of their propaganda.

Horses and most animals we eat get mostly, with some exceptions, the same medications humans get.
    Those don't kill us right and left, do they?

The question here is that most medications we eliminate, sooner or later, so after a while they are not found in us or our animals any more as residues.
    That is what the withholding period on any products used in animals means, that you can't sell them for human consumption before that time has passed, by when there won't be any traces of that product left in them.
    The same applies to milk, not just meat.

4 members found this post helpful.

simply spoken, many of the things we use on horses are ot used for use in meat animals because the majority of horses is simply not headed that way and the pharma companies save a lot of money not getting the approval.
    And since many of the active ingredients are the same that are already in use on food animals you can imagine, they won't hurt a thing in a horse either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Simple, meat is tested, any found to have residues, that is not many, are not processed for human consumption.

Fear-mongering by animal rights groups wanting to eliminate all uses of animals is much of what is driving all this publicity, as part of their propaganda.

The question here is that most medications we eliminate, sooner or later, so after a while they are not found in us or our animals any more as residues.
    That is what the withholding period on any products used in animals means.
    First of all, you can't prove that horses that have been given Bute have not entered the human food chain.

There is a reason many products for horses say "Not intended for use in animals intended for human consumption."

Because bute was taken off the market for human use more than a decade ago due to its side effects, no long-term studies have been or will be conducted. No safe levels were set by food-safety regulators. Therefore, the drug was banned for all animals intended for human consumption, and there is no withdrawal time.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswee...lth-risks.html

There's a reason Bute isn't used for humans anymore.
    Last edited by jenm; Mar. 8, 2013 at 08:10 PM. Reason: added link
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

3 members found this post helpful.

Right now the USDA is not funding inspections because we don't slaughter horses here. At least at the moment. There are some factions that think any bute a horse ever had means it should not be used for human consumption. Others seem to think that a 6 month detox is plenty. There are continuous arguments also about how they test for it.
    I have an OTTB - he's had bute - I have another tb that never raced - she's had bute - I have an Oldenburg gelding - the vet gave him bute when he was gelded.
    There really isn't exactly a simple answer to the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Hpilot View Post
    I don't understand....I read on lots various medications for horses that it is not intended to be used on horses that go to slaughter. Aren't most horses that end up in slaughter houses full of all sorts of drugs and de-wormers?

Who the heck wants to eat that meat? How do they determine if a horse is drug free? If horses are going to be slaughtered here in the US again, do they have a USDA inspection? I know we don't eat horse meat here, but what type of inspection do the countries that eat the meat go through? Maybe, if people knew how their meat was polluted, they may think twice about eating it.

Or am I just being delusional?

I really hadn't seen or heard about the publicity of the animal rights activists on animal meat or horse meat. I was just curious when I read about horses picked up from tracks and taken directly to Canada for processing.
    I guess the animals that show residue in the meat are used for other purposes.

For sure, the killer man gets paid weather it is good meat or bad meat.
    It's just creepy to me......Horses are not raised specifically for meat like cattle are. If a cattle man wants to stay in business, he would do right for the food source, although I am sure there are the shady bunch like in any other business.
    Horses go because they are sick, lame and otherwise of no use to someone.

2 members found this post helpful.

I really hadn't seen or heard about the publicity of the animal rights activists on animal meat or horse meat. I was just curious when I read about horses picked up from tracks and taken directly to Canada for processing.

there are more markets than just human consumption.

There's part of the argument - alot of "seemingly" perfectly healthy sound, sane horses end up slaughtered.

It's just creepy to me......Horses are not raised specifically for meat like cattle are. If a cattle man wants to stay in business, he would do right for the food source, although I am sure there are the shady bunch like in any other business.

That's the reason the European market doesn't like US horses. Too much bute!

Quote Originally Posted by Abberlaze View Post
    That's the reason the European market doesn't like US horses. Too much bute!
    then you missed the memo how they got a load from Russia that was loaded, no pun intended....

That's not necessarily true. Plenty of good horses are slaughtered because who eats old animals? Young healthy animals are slaughtered. In fact an animal with an injury isn't supposed to be slaughtered for meat for human consumption though it does happen.

As you said, they are shady characters in the slaughter business.

*take note that the same people who support horse slaughter always chime in with their pro slaughter opinions and shout down any who disagree with them. Watch how they follow my response.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan P View Post
    That's not necessarily true. Plenty of good horses are slaughtered because who eats old animals? Young healthy animals are slaughtered. In fact an animal with an injury isn't supposed to be slaughtered for meat for human consumption though it does happen.

*take note that the same people who support horse slaughter always chime in with their pro slaughter opinions and shout down any who disagree with them. Watch how they follow my response.
    That's exactly what will happen in 3, 2, 1....

And it's getting really old. It's time we call in reinforcements, not for an opinion one way or another, but to try to force a civil discussion.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

A civil discussion would be nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Susan P View Post

The same applies to those that are for the ban slaughter drive.
    As soon as someone post anything about slaughter, here they come.

That is ok, is how we all get to say what we think, that is the purpose of these forums after all.

Now, just remember, not many horses are slaughtered, just SOME, from the many that are not finding other uses and happen to be sold/bought for slaughter.

As for bute, the amounts to do any good for arthritis and pain can cause humans to get sick, although many grooms can tell you it didn't make them sick at all for all the years they have been using it.

Bute as a residue on meat, well, you would have to eat 10 lbs of horse meat with high residues a day to eventually maybe make you sick.

Still, if bute is illegal, well, then it is and it should not be in there.
    Any meat testing positive should and is taken off the for human consumption market.

The remark about shady characters, well, those you can find any place, even in rescues, who would have thought that?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post

The same applies to those that are for the ban slaughter drive.
    As soon as someone post anything about slaughter, here they come.
    :
    I for one vote that the Moderators create a special heading for slaughter. It just gets old reading the same stuff just thrown at you from a different direction

Well, the title says "slaughter". If you are tired of reading those threads, just don't click on them. Problem solved.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    I for one vote that the Moderators create a special heading for slaughter. It just gets old reading the same stuff just thrown at you from a different direction

PM the Moderator if that is what you think we should do.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    then you missed the memo how they got a load from Russia that was loaded, no pun intended....
    Er, I don't think I said anything about Russia. I don't know anything about the Russian meat market.

Quote Originally Posted by Abberlaze View Post
    Er, I don't think I said anything about Russia. I don't know anything about the Russian meat market.
    meat exported from Russia that does not have passport requirements like the EU.....
    and yet, they export to the EU...

Oh my.

Where are you getting your information that Russian horsemeat is imported to the EU and doesn't have to have a passport?

From what I'm reading, they import and aren't exporting. Links?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant