The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default boarding in the Philadelphia area...so expensive! help!

I am moving to Conshohocken in the Philadelphia area of Pennsylvania, and I would like to find a place that is close to Conshohocken so I can ride after work (high demanding job gives me little time to ride, so I need to be in close proximity to the office!). I know the area is flooded with some fabulous barns, the problem is, they are all $700-$1200 for board. Can anyone help me!! I have been researching extensively through google and browsing websites.

I have looked in Radnor, Malvern, Blue Bell, Norristown... I have gone to see some barns that are in the $400-500 price range, but was really not all that impressed. I get it... it's expensive, but I know there has to be some hidden gems, or "private" barns. My favorite barns that I've ever boarded at, are those that I have found through word of mouth.. please please help spread the word that I'm looking!!

I event through the preliminary level, and it's not necessary to have a xc course at the facility..i just need access to jumps! Thanks so much for any suggestions you have

Check Craig's List. You are NOT going to find a barn with a useable indoor + jumps that is less than the going rate. For $400-$500 you are going to find "Mom and Pop" type facilities with outdoor arenas, small turnouts, and maybe trail access.

You will have to either compromise on the drive or on the facilities. Many people drive farther to be at a nicer barn that is a little cheaper. OR you eat less so you can afford to board closer.

2 members found this post helpful.

$700-900 won't get you an indoor in this area. You might check rates at http://www.pieceofparadisefarm.com/Boarding.php.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I agree, that's not a reasonable rate if you want to stay near Conshohocken. I have a friend up there. I'll ask her if she knows of anything.

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

Don't discount small farms with trail access to Radnor Hunt. That place is AWESOME and connected to much of the local horse community by trail if you can get a local to show you around.

Sarah at Serendipity Stables & Julianne at Piece of Paradise are both great horsewomen. And they may have some suggestions for other barns if they are full.

Also, try to contact someone at Radnor hunt pony club (or pickering pony club if you're closer to them) and they may know of someone with an open stall. You're unlikely to get an indoor for your price range, but the weather is decent year-round.

Most eventers that I've known working in Philly live well outside the city near the horse and commute to work. A few do it the other way. I commute and decided I rather be commuting 5 days to work and not 6-7 days to my horse.

I have a time consuming job....just left work a little while ago, on a Friday night. I couldn't do it without an indoor. If your job is that demanding (like mine) you should be looking to put your horse somewhere that has capable riders who can help keep your horse in consistent work when you can't get there. If you go without and indoor...then you need a good ring and good lighting. That will rule out many of the small barns. Good luck on your search.....I personally never found good boarding for less than 700 in this area and have paid more. For the price range you are talking...you might find field board at a place with what you need.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

1 members found this post helpful.

While our winters have been mild with out access to an indoor if you plan to compete seriously you will have a hard time.

You can caste further afield towards Glem Mills Media Wallingfor Chaddsford West Chester Pocopson borders.

Contact as suggested the Pony club and the Hunt Club as well as DVCTA..
    Best of luck.

This may put things into perspective..boarding in Radnor no indoo but ring $700 w/indoor 900-1200. or go out near Unionville rent a 5 stall barn w/ a nice ring miles of hacking and really nice turn-out $800. for whole barn on private farm (its rented by the way)

Your commute from Conshohocken is going to be a concern to ANYWHERE. That's kind of a gridlock central. You may not find anything "close" but if you do, be prepared to compromise on a few things for the convenience! Good luck and hope to see you schooling at Fair Hill this spring!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Ok, so I should get used to the idea of a drive..or paying more. But really, time is money! So let's say I up my budget to $700 a month... what are your top picks for $700 a month in that area?

I found Worcester Stables in Norristown that has an option for pasture board...it's definitely a lesson barn, but it has a nice big outdoor and indoor, so i have options to "stay away" from the lessons while they're going on. Anyone have any input on that?

I've called Susie Beale, I've called the pony clubs, Radnor hunt, but no one seems to have any definite advice. I've posted on craigslist as well.

If you all had to pick a few reasonable barns in the area (within a 30-40 minute drive of Conshy) what would you recommend? I'll just have to put my horse somewhere, and then either figure it out once i'm up there, or ask for a raise!

THANKS y'all!! So helpful to have you guys

Where do you board, or what would you suggest in the $700 range? Maybe i will just have to stick with the idea of having a room mate to pay the extra board... oh boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    Check Craig's List. You are NOT going to find a barn with a useable indoor + jumps that is less than the going rate. For $400-$500 you are going to find "Mom and Pop" type facilities with outdoor arenas, small turnouts, and maybe trail access.

You will have to either compromise on the drive or on the facilities. Many people drive farther to be at a nicer barn that is a little cheaper. OR you eat less so you can afford to board closer.
    This. I'm in Schwenksville which might be doable for you to drive. There are plenty of small (think 10-12 acres) barns in this area. I know 2 that cater to eventers, pm me if you want names.

Keeping horses in this area is expensive. I could give you the name of a barn with an indoor that is around $500, I could also list half a dozen horses that have either colicked and died or broken legs there. You pay for quality.

Oh, and STAY AWAY from Worcester Stables. Plenty of horror stories about that one.

Try going north, towards Perkasie area? Quakertown, etc
    I have heard Threes A Charm Farm is nice.

Ditto Worcester...did you try around Honeybrook it's right off turnpike think Eleverson exit?....

I board my horses at an eventing barn in Pottstown for $475 a month with outstanding care but no indoor. My boys LOVE it there, both are thriving.

I live in Downingtown but work in Norristown. I would rather drive and board where my horses are happy, then keep them at a scary place to be closer to my house. Been there done that.

superD, I'm pretty sure I know the barn you're talking about, is it right off 422? If so I used to keep my boy there before I got my own place. OP I highly recommend looking into this barn. Great BO, great outdoor ring, good hay/grain, etc.

I don't own, but I feel I should warn you away from Piece of Paradise.

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    superD, I'm pretty sure I know the barn you're talking about, is it right off 422? If so I used to keep my boy there before I got my own place. OP I highly recommend looking into this barn. Great BO, great outdoor ring, good hay/grain, etc.
    It is!!! I LOVE it there and everything is still awesome. I have no complaints. The ring has held up amazingly well this winter.

Thank you for these suggestions.. NOW we're getting somewhere!!

I had a "pit in my stomach" about Worcester, for some reason. I had a feeling that place wouldn't notice if my horse went missing...

Thank you for the SPECIFIC suggestions, these are more helpful!! I am now willing to commute, you all are so right... it's better to drive a distance for good quality boarding.
    Last edited by jsydney5; Nov. 2, 2014 at 06:17 PM.

I'm so jealous of the ring and all the beautiful jumps. I miss being there but I have to admit I wouldn't trade having my own place for anything.

http://www.greatscottfarm.com/Services.html I boarded here years ago. The facility is lovely. $725/mo.

If you look towards the Limerick area, there's quite a few barns, and right off of 476.

I agree with the others about checking craigslist regularly for some backyard gems as well as the Equine Marketer and The Horse of Delaware Valley.